TOO MUCH SSSSSSIZZLE?? HELP PLEASE? GIVE THIS A LISTEN.

extract from a different thread I'm writing in:

De-fizzing the hi-gain amps:
- drive: 5150=6 / VH4=4.5
so these guys are putting out a fair amount of gain

- presence: 5150=0.5 / VH4=2
the other tone controls are between 4 and 6
the bass on the VH4=3.5 to mitigate 'woofing' when palm muting, but it's at 6 on the 5150 to try to make the 'woof' similar lengths

- bright switch=on for both
create the fizz and gain so it can be stripped later..

- master vol: 5150=1.3 / VH4=1.5
take the power amps out of the equation... but not totally..

- input trim= 1 for both

- EQ: a -4 cut at 8k, boost by a couple of dB 2k and 4k to retain top end and definition
make a large-ish boost at 63 and 125 to fatten
make a gentle cut at 250 and 500 to deepen

- Triode 2: set to 8000 for both to de-fizz

and...
stuff a compressor in front of the amps to smooth up the input signal
type=pedal
sustain=3

added a vol pedal after the comp and before the amps which is bypass=thru for riffing and cuts in when soloing to give a big 9dB boost
this adds gain, neck sensitivity and sustain when shredding the neck to splinters...

to cope with all that the input gate thresh=-65, ratio=2.5, attack=1.0, release=31

Roll back triode 1 and 2 to 3000hz and 1500hz or so. This interstage attenuation of high frequencies can do wonders. If if gets to wooly, set it to 6600 and 3200 or dial to taste.

you're not gonna like what I'm saying, but the first clip sounds pretty much how a high gain amp sounds mic'd. they do "sizzle". nature of the beast. the second clip sounds horrible to me. I'd reach straight for the Presence control on that one :) , but as we all know...tastes differ...

I agree about the op about Uber, was my main chunk amp and now i cant use it. Going to fiddle with it some more.

you're not gonna like what I'm saying, but the first clip sounds pretty much how a high gain amp sounds mic'd. they do "sizzle". nature of the beast. the second clip sounds horrible to me. I'd reach straight for the Presence control on that one :) , but as we all know...tastes differ...

I have 3 high gain amps sitting right next to me. None of them have this sizzle frequency mic'd unless they are running through a garbage cabinet.. The second clip sounds bad because like I said all the knobs are at 5 on both. they second clip can be fixed in 3 seconds of turning the presence up and a little more treble. They first clip I have been adjusting for 4 days and can't get that buzz out.

I have 3 high gain amps sitting right next to me. None of them have this sizzle frequency mic'd unless they are running through a garbage cabinet.. The second clip sounds bad because like I said all the knobs are at 5 on both. they second clip can be fixed in 3 seconds of turning the presence up and a little more treble. They first clip I have been adjusting for 4 days and can't get that buzz out.

So is the clip I posted the direction you're after, or not?

Roll back triode 1 and 2 to 3000hz and 1500hz or so. This interstage attenuation of high frequencies can do wonders. If if gets to wooly, set it to 6600 and 3200 or dial to taste.

Yo! You are getting me on the right track to get my Uber back. I pulled triode 2 down before but not to such an extreme to go from 40000 to 3000 but that seems to be close to killing the sizzle section.

I have found the Presence control to be real important to dial it in (more highs) or out (high-end fizz) and "where" varies by amp.

I kinda had an issue with what I would call "fuzz"(welcome to guitar players describing sounds) and I went through all kinds of parameters. The fix for me was taking the "air frequency" and "air percent" down to 0. It took it all out for me and sounds worlds better...at least to my ears.

guys you have to be real careful when using blocking / shelving EQ types...
cos by 'de-fizzing' you can kill all your definition and end up with a woolly mush..

add a PEQ
select a single band and set it to -12dB
set the Q=5
use the freq control to sweep the freqs and find out 'where' the the most offensive part of the fizz lives
narrow the Q further to 8 and try to zero back in on the fizz
what you are aiming for is the narrowest possible Q [highest number] that eliminates the fizz...

when you have this.. start raising the gain.. when the fizz returns, drop by a dB..

the idea here is to cut the fizz by just enough and with the narrowest band
this will allow the rest of your highs [and therefore definition] to remain..

my soloing tone has a cut like this
Q=10
freq= somewhere between 4k and 5k I think [I'll check later]
gain=-6 [I think]

EDIT: I found my settings from another post I wrote last night in the preset building thread
ok.. I did this to kill pick noise... but it don't matter.. different issue.. same solution..
extract
- I also found that the 6.0 fizz accentuated pick noise in a very bad way with hi-gain tones..
so I used a band with a very tight Q [10.000] to deeply cut [-5.5dB] at 2.4KHz..

Yo! You are getting me on the right track to get my Uber back. I pulled triode 2 down before but not to such an extreme to go from 40000 to 3000 but that seems to be close to killing the sizzle section.

Believe it or not, a ~1600hz roll off is not uncommon in high gain amps in 2nd or 3rd stages. Without going into the math, a 1n cap over a 100k load gives you about that (which the ecstasy, SLO, DR, etc have), so don't be afraid to dial it down.

I'd rather cliff leave the sizzle and give us the option to tune it to our liking.

Back
Top Bottom