Too much gain

Clive

Experienced
Hi guys,

First of all, I wish everybody here a happy new year.

I have a preset with a IIC++ block. This block is set with A LOT of gain because this is how I like the low E string to ring when I play palm mutes (0-0-0-0-0-0 PM).

The problem is I want to have much less gain on the five other strings.

To me, this problem is impossible to solve but I just ask, someone might have an idea (using an advanced parameter or a combination with another amp block with special settings...).

Thank you.

Pitch could be assigned as a modifier source to reduce amp input level for higher notes. Just realize 2 or more notes at once can often be detected as a lower note, so this may not always work as flawlessly as you'd like.

Have you tried using two amp blocks?
Take the treble out of the one you want the Bass thud on..You can do this a few different ways, PEQ/Filter or GEQ block after the amp block.
Then use the second amp block with exactly the same amp but without the bass. Again using GEQs or filters, you could even try them before the amp block (for the bass reduced amp)
I often use this technique.

I used to have a patch using two crossovers to manipulate and send low freq to one amp and other freq to other amp. You can easily do what you are hoping for in this setup, and just recombine signals to the cab block.

Was an Ultra patch so I don't have it anymore. Worked like a charm tho.

Get a G&L (ha i have a feeling you wont, but next to a suhr, a us American g&Ls IMO- better than fender custom shop) one of his last designed before he kicked it. with , they're SO unique, they rock, clean is amazing... pos 2 and four are super stratty MFD pole my solos especially the G strings really pop out piece height. the pole pieces is lower on my thick pups, and higher on the bottom 3. my solos especially the G strings really pop out like never before.

Last edited:
Hi guys. Thank you very much for your answers.

Very difficult to solve. I even thought about changing the low E string with another one with a bigger diameter but I don't know if it will help me to deliver more gain to be able to lower the overall gain.

In fact, I can tell you this : I use an amp block with IIC++ type and I use a lot of gain to have a very big attack. I think the right thing would to lower the gain to have the five higher strings to sound great and add another amp block with another amp type that has a big attack without having to set it with a lot of gain.

Which amp type would you recommend to me ?

Thanks guys.

Hi guys. Thank you very much for your answers.

Very difficult to solve. I even thought about changing the low E string with another one with a bigger diameter but I don't know if it will help me to deliver more gain to be able to lower the overall gain.(...)

Hi Clive,

I strongly recommend this option. Thicken up the E a gauge or two, and strike it really hard... dig in. That's the best and most natural way to get the gain to "play nice". It's much better to use more dynamic gain and control it with your hands than try and get too technical with crossover amps... applying something to six strings when you're trying to solve an issue regarding only one, is six times the work! :D

Hi Clive,

I strongly recommend this option. Thicken up the E a gauge or two, and strike it really hard... dig in. That's the best and most natural way to get the gain to "play nice". It's much better to use more dynamic gain and control it with your hands than try and get too technical with crossover amps... applying something to six strings when you're trying to solve an issue regarding only one, is six times the work! :D

So true!

I strongly recommend this option. Thicken up the E a gauge or two, and strike it really hard... dig in. That's the best and most natural way to get the gain to "play nice".
Yup. That's why they make these.

da_prod_exl140_main_1.jpg

Hi guys,

First of all, I wish everybody here a happy new year.

I have a preset with a IIC++ block. This block is set with A LOT of gain because this is how I like the low E string to ring when I play palm mutes (0-0-0-0-0-0 PM).

The problem is I want to have much less gain on the five other strings.

To me, this problem is impossible to solve but I just ask, someone might have an idea (using an advanced parameter or a combination with another amp block with special settings...).

Thank you.

Work on a bad ass technique where you work the guitar volume knob and your picking strength at the same time based on the notes you are playing.

When you master this, you will be Jeff Beck :)

Hi Clive,

Thanks Wolf for your answer. So you had the same idea. I have several things to try and strings to buy.
I think Ernie Ball strings can be sold one by one, can't they ?

I just fear one thing : with the IIC++ block, when using active pickups I can hear the "dang" of the low E string on palm mutes if the gain isn't pushed enough (I can clearly it with my headphones). Maybe it's the same thing with different pickups and other amp block types.
I hope using a bigger gauge won't emphasis this too much.

Work on a bad ass technique where you work the guitar volume knob and your picking strength at the same time based on the notes you are playing.

When you master this, you will be Jeff Beck :)

Yeah you're right but it's too refined for a guy like me who plays rough heavy metal. :(

Have you tried palm muting with two strings (E5, open E+B on A string)? If you are after something like Enter Sandman riff (vocal part) you have to play it like that.

Its all about pick control, for example James Hetfield doesnt use a crazy amount of gain but he hits the chugging notes hard when needed.

Well gain flattens attack. But for what you describe it's not the attack that you want but the sustain and decay. So a cross over into compressor or simply a multi band with lowest band active up to 80 some Hz. With a long release.
End result should be the the comp pumps after the initial attack.

I even thought about changing the low E string with another one with a bigger diameter

Make sure the string fits the nut slot before you bring it up to tune. I broke the end off of a nut by using a low E string that was bigger than the slot.

Back
Top Bottom