Too many amps for meaningful differences?

It doesn't matter what we do. People will complain. All this amazing technology at your fingertips and some people would rather spend their time finding flaws than making music. Flaws like "there are too many amp models" or "there aren't enough amp models" or "whaaaa, there's no model of the Royal Petticoat TR-30. They made 38 of them. I can't believe there's no model of it. I can't get MY sound without it.".

The Axe-Fx III is the greatest guitar processor ever made. The other manufacturer's can use all the sneaky viral marketing they want but it doesn't change that fact.

I tend to use the Dumble ODS non-HRM tone as my home base. And I have a Schroeder dual humbucker that is kind of my tonal nirvana. I was getting frustrated in trying to get a similar girth and midrange cut out of the Bludojai amp when using a PRS with a 408 bridge pickup.

Then I bothered to try some other ODS amps instead of fussing with advanced parameters and input EQ so much. The HRM amp got me really close!

I love having a lot of amps to choose from.

It doesn't matter what we do. People will complain. All this amazing technology at your fingertips and some people would rather spend their time finding flaws than making music. Flaws like "there are too many amp models" or "there aren't enough amp models" or "whaaaa, there's no model of the Royal Petticoat TR-30. They made 38 of them. I can't believe there's no model of it. I can't get MY sound without it.".

The Axe-Fx III is the greatest guitar processor ever made. The other manufacturer's can use all the sneaky viral marketing they want but it doesn't change that fact.
This is all true. If you never model another amp model, some will complain. But most of us would be completely satisfied with the work you've done.

This is wildly true. Please don't let it discourage you in any way. I spread the gospel any chance I get and I've never had someone say "I'm so upset I bought this Fractal product." That's all the marketing you need.

Personally, I think most areas are covered. I do remember asking why they never put the H&K Triamp in the axefx. I think the reply was the same tone could be had somewhere in the Marshall amps already in the thing. I usually would agree but those amps are totally unique. A triamp or Duotone would be really cool. Not sure how they would be able to even do the Triamp MK3 but I've played one and there are very cool tone possibilities there.

Sorry if that was a rant, but I felt compelled to post it since I've always wondered about this. So many Fenders and Marshalls but other amps are called redundant.....

Personally, I think most areas are covered. I do remember asking why they never put the H&K Triamp in the axefx. I think the reply was the same tone could be had somewhere in the Marshall amps already in the thing. I usually would agree but those amps are totally unique. A triamp or Duotone would be really cool. Not sure how they would be able to even do the Triamp MK3 but I've played one and there are very cool tone possibilities there.

Sorry if that was a rant, but I felt compelled to post it since I've always wondered about this. So many Fenders and Marshalls but other amps are called redundant.....
I rest my case your Honor.

Until we don't have the ADA MP-1, let's complain :)

Just kidding.

I only wish I had time to explore all models, and even more that I could take the most of them, as that would mean I am a accomplished player covering a lot of styles.

THE PREMISE:
In the Axe FX II (let alone in the III) there were already a lot of amps. Now we have more. And people are always asking for yet more.

Now, often, when I'm looking for a particular sound, and I audition a pair of amps and A/B between them to compare, it only takes a few notes in each before I'm no longer sure what the difference is between them, or which I like better.
Surely your problem :)

But this fact is suggestive. It suggests that maybe each amp has a range of sounds it can produce which greatly overlaps with similar amps in the amp library.

And if that's true, then there's a lot of redundancy. (Where "redundancy" means: More than one way to achieve the same sound...or at least, something so close to the same sound that the Proverbial Discerning Musician, somebody like Eric Johnson perhaps, can no longer form a confident opinion about whether they're different, or which one he's hearing in a blind test, or which one he likes best.) And as we add yet more amp models, we're also gradually increasing the redundancy.
That's been true for a number of years now.

QUESTION #1:
How close are we to the point where, for a certain category of sounds, adding another amp model within that category is pointless, because a little EQ or overdrive or a different cab would be sufficient to get exactly the same sound (or close enough that nobody can hear/feel the difference)?
That's been the case for a number of years - I think when creating a new sound, I would go for the FAS models - they cover pretty much all the circuit topologies.

QUESTION #2:
Okay, okay, I get it: The easy answer to the preceding question is gonna be: "No! Not Even Close! Moar Amps Forevurr!" And more thoughtful folks will answer, "Maybe someday we'll reach that threshold, but we're not there yet...certainly not until Cliff models a [insert favorite WISH amp here]."

Fine. In that case, which category of amps is getting closest to the saturation-point, the point of diminishing returns? Do we lack for pristine clean amps, but have an overabundance of tweedy amps? Do we lack for Dumble-ish amps, but have an overabundance of high-gains? Even if no category of amps is already over-full, which category is least in need of new members?

The only non-existent category is solid state based distortion amps - like a Randall RG100ES but I guess that's mostly about the JEFT + zener diode pre-amp and its tone stack. With some knoweldge I'm sure you could use a combination of drive pedals and advanced parameters in the amp block (increase power amp hardness, lower sag) to get into the ballpark.

That being said I've been satisfied with the insane number of amp models for a number of years now. In fact, I'm quite enjoying the focus on FX improvements - from the Astable LFOs, the phaser improvements, the pitch block/pitch tracking, the compressors, the noise reducer, etc all quite remarkable improvements.

Man, I swear every time I post something on the fractal forum with the intent of just joining the discussion I get a response that I'm not sure how to take.

"I rest my case your honor."

Supporting evidence of included models will never make everyone happy? Or that there is always room for improvement?

Last edited:
Supporting evidence of included models will never make everyone happy? Or that there is always room for improvement?
Either. People will complain either way was @FractalAudio’s point. Instead of just going out there and creating.

Back
Top Bottom