Too little CPU power for my needs .....??!!

Anand Mahangoe

Power User
Guys,
I have just received today the AX8 and of course extremely happy with the sound quality and stuff....

BUT : I like the 80's clean and that would be the only thing which could use some CPU....but it will not even handle that ...I am :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I have attached the file here....I really like to run Delays / Reverbs 100% parallel so that they do not influence each other.
I am now NOT able to still squeeze in the Pitch Detune :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Even tried to delete the Filter & Compr block...still not able....

Does this mean that it will not handle my needs and I have to stick to the Axe FX 2 ?

Attachments

• Groovy Baby.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 11
Try Scott's suggestion. Current AX8 owners have found the Reverb block is the place to go if you need some available CPU. Tweaking that seems to save more than removing some other complete blocks. And I might add, the reverbs are so good that they still sound great even tweaked down.

Thanks, It succeeded...BUT scares the hell out of me the ' little' amount of CPU.....I believed that my needs are quite little and really like from time to time a great Reverb too with quality on HIGH.....

I guess this is not going to work for me :(:(:(:(

Thanks, It succeeded...BUT scares the hell out of me the ' little' amount of CPU.....I believed that my needs are quite little and really like from time to time a great Reverb too with quality on HIGH.....

As Cliff has always said, the AX8 isn't meant to do what the Axe Fx can. There will be those setups (and players) that require the horsepower of the flagship. That's why I am keeping mine (besides that I just love the darned thing). Within the intention of the design, though, the AX8 is a sweet little device. I am sure they will continue making it even more capable as we go.

AX8-Ultra, AX8-II... ;) I look forward to it!

As Cliff has always said, the AX8 isn't meant to do what the Axe Fx can. There will be those setups (and players) that require the horsepower of the flagship. That's why I am keeping mine (besides that I just love the darned thing). Within the intention of the design, though, the AX8 is a sweet little device. I am sure they will continue making it even more capable as we go.

AX8-Ultra, AX8-II... ;) I look forward to it!

Yes, I was aware of that BUT did not think it is so 'little'.....very sad :(:(:(:(:(:(

Thanks anyway....I guess I can make someone else happy with this great little sweet AX8:(

At least I did not sell my Axe 2 yet...guy was supposed to come tomorrow for it...going to cancel him ASAP :eek:

Precisely the reason I will most likely add a H9 for reverbs only. Reverbs are a CPU hungry algorithm. The reality is the reason you can fit all this on other devices, is because the algorithms are not as detailed as a fractal product. It's a blessing and a curse. You will just learn to work around it or make accommodations with augmenting what you have with something else as well. I'm not giving up these Amp tones for nothing, so if I have to augment(add reverb) every once in a blue moon, I will.

Yes, I was aware of that BUT did not think it is so 'little'.....very sad :(:(:(:(:(:(

Thanks anyway....I guess I can make someone else happy with this great little sweet AX8:(

At least I did not sell my Axe 2 yet...guy was supposed to come tomorrow for it...going to cancel him ASAP :eek:
I guess you weren't the perfect candidate for this device. I'm keeping my AXE-FX XL for all the reasons Rick mentioned as well. Good luck with your choice.

Precisely the reason I will most likely add a H9 for reverbs only. Reverbs are a CPU hungry algorithm. The reality is the reason you can fit all this on other devices, is because the algorithms are not as detailed as a fractal product. It's a blessing and a curse. You will just learn to work around it or make accommodations with augmenting what you have with something else as well. I'm not giving up these Amp tones for nothing, so if I have to augment(add reverb) every once in a blue moon, I will.

Totally understand it man...I just believed that I can go smaller with my already very small Rig....well yeah....Time to put up an ad in Holland....Still of course a VERY VERY happy guy with the Axe XL :D:D:D:D:D:D

Totally understand it man...I just believed that I can go smaller with my already very small Rig....well yeah....Time to put up an ad in Holland....Still of course a VERY VERY happy guy with the Axe XL :D:D:D:D:D:D
If you are in Europe you won't have any trouble selling it.
In fact, I'll take it.

The AX8 is definitely under-powered when compared to the rack units. But then, it costs about half as much as an XL+ and MFC101 MK3 so that's to be expected.
-
Austin

Yep totally understand. But honestly right this very second, I would wait a month before selling it unless you need the cash, because they will release a firmware down the road that might address some of these issues. You made your statement and everyone including Fractal is listening. They do read the forums, so I'm not sure what they could do honestly maybe a switch that brings in certain effects with a lower resolution when cpu is full. Or account for the USB, allowing an effect in knowing that the device won't be plugged into a computer when you are actually using it on stage. I am speculating in the worst way possible. Anyway I would wait up until release 3.00. Thats me though. You know how far the AXE II has come, the AX8 will be the same.

Edit: I just read what I wrote. that's what coffee will do. Sorry I hope you understood, what I was trying to say.

Yep totally understand. But honestly right this very second, I would wait a month before selling it unless you need the cash, because they will release a firmware down the road that might address some of these issues. You made your statement and everyone including Fractal is listening. They do read the forums, so I'm not sure what they could do honestly maybe a switch that brings in certain effects with a lower resolution when cpu is full. Or account for the USB, allowing an effect in knowing that the device won't be plugged into a computer when you are actually using it on stage. I am speculating in the worst way possible. Anyway I would wait up until release 3.00. Thats me though. You know how far the AXE II has come, the AX8 will be the same.

I would be absolutely stunned if there was a firmware release for AX8 within a month, let alone going from 1.0 to 3.0 in that time. I'll be thrilled if I'm wrong though :D
-
Austin

I predict your inbox will begin to see activity quite soon!

There is so much I can do with the AX8, it is a win for me. I'm sure there will be lots of folks who need all of the Axe Fx capability. Awesome to have the choice of one, the other, or both!

It is ok, selling it now and will see it the future what happens .

This is the second issue after the 'missing' global Blocks , so a sign that it is not YET for me.

I would be absolutely stunned if there was a firmware release for AX8 within a month, let alone going from 1.0 to 3.0 in that time. I'll be thrilled if I'm wrong though :D
-
Austin
Well you know I know, there won't be three Firmware updates in a month, unless it's fixing a bug afterward. I'm just trying to state, wait. Give it some time to mature and get in people's hands. That's when a lot of things start to happen.

Edit: I just read what I wrote. that's what coffee will do. Sorry I hope you understood, what I was trying to say.

I agree with Scott .. you should be able to sell it in a blink in Europe, but you could maybe sleep on that for a bit. It's not gonna be very easy to find another one soon if you change your mind later :)

If you sell, I will buy :)

I never really fell in love with reverb anyway :)

Can you even hear the difference between the reverb qualities?

Fx8 seems to be going straight from FW1.05 to FW3.0

Back
Top Bottom