Too high demand for FAS products?

@LostInSpace you assume they are not prepared. Just because people on the forum have not received their AX8 doesn't necessarily mean they are not shipping a boatload of these things. Also, some companies are more conservative in the sense they don't want a ton of inventory hanging around...JIT inventory blah blah. You can make a case for either approach, I guess it is easier for me to say because I was fortunate to get one...all I can say is it is worth the wait...no disrespect intended in the least.

I went to Fractal to pick up my AX8...they are very busy....

I think comparing delivery of FAS products with a custom shop guitar and similar stuff is a bit exagerated.

I believe M@ said that the spreadsheet only represent 1/3 of ppl on the wait list. I am on the wait list and won't be bother sharing what day and time I joined the list. I still believe FAS is not shipping a ton a day but I am very glad that it seemed like they had a nice amount of stock to ship. FAS knows that to an extend the masses will wait if they must. The guys who buy another product because they don't want to wait will still eventually try the Ax8

If their plan was to stay small, I think they should have charged more for it.
By your logic they should've charged even more for the Axe Fx then as that had a massive wait list too.

Oh, and Apple is a multinational company that still has wait lists on release day too.

hey, lots of answers :) I didn't know they were such a small company :-o Doesn't seem like it, with this many users of their products :) Should think they'd atleast increase production in a release situation like this. (But maybe they are?..hope so:) The AX8 is after all aimed at a wider userbase right? But how many has the patience to wait a year(if thats what it takes), not buying similar products? Because FAS offers the best tone, and they don't care because it has worked for them in the past?.. and they always have a long waitinglist? They don't want company growing pains? I guess we can only speculate.

I think we should be applauding FAS for the quality that they keep putting out while growing. Not to mention that they have intentionally not taken on more staff in large groups. Too insure that they can handle and maintain what they consider their desired quality of products. Too many companies fail to do this as they grow. Which only leads to their demise.

Should think they'd at least increase production in a release situation like this. (But maybe they are?

Based on even just that pic they put on FB of all the AX8's and the picks of PRSGuy picking up his AX I would say they have def increased production.

As I have said once or twice in this thread there are two huge variables.

#1 they don't make the chassis here so once they run out they are at the Mercy of the manufacturer over seas then the long boat ride across the ocean and customs ect.

#2 Even if they have a ton of AX8's ready to ship aka increased productivity of first run which appears to be the case they are still limited by how many they can ship in one day all while maintaining current operations which include shipping other products, assembly of products which now there are 4 of, repairs ect ect ect

Two Words....

Staff Augmentation

Staffing up only makes sense if you expect consistent increased demand. Yes, we could hire 10 more people and crank out a few hundred a day. Then in a couple months the waitlist is finished and orders are, say, 10 per day. Now you have to lay off those 10 people which sucks for them and sucks for you since your unemployment insurance then goes up.

There's a lot more to being a CEO and running a company than what you read on forums. Your first responsibility is to your current employees as they rely on you to put food on their tables and a roof over their heads. Short-sighted staffing decisions are rarely wise in the long run.

In all I see the OP's point and it would be a relief to at least know how many get shipped out per day just as an FYI and to the very least calculate your invit date.

Staffing up only makes sense if you expect consistent increased demand. Yes, we could hire 10 more people and crank out a few hundred a day. Then in a couple months the waitlist is finished and orders are, say, 10 per day. Now you have to lay off those 10 people which sucks for them and sucks for you since your unemployment insurance then goes up.

There's a lot more to being a CEO and running a company than what you read on forums. Your first responsibility is to your current employees as they rely on you to put food on their tables and a roof over their heads. Short-sighted staffing decisions are rarely wise in the long run.

Yeah, but that's a few months of pay that some hard working but out of work persons could gladly earn with the understanding that it's a non-permanent arrangement. We do staff augmentation for large roll outs... whether it be phone support / disaster recovery personnel / etc... they get contracted knowing it's a limited engagement... I see where you are coming from, but there are plenty of companies that can staff your temporary needs. (I'm sure it's scary to do the first time too... eeek. Contracts too... ugh... ) Something to think about for some unskilled labor like assembly, packing shipping.. You know, the jobs that people can learn in a day and repeat over and over. But actually "hiring" temp staff....that's a no-no. Best to contract that stuff out with a man power supplier so that it's just another assignment to their people

Yeah, but that's a few months of pay that some hard working but out of work persons could gladly earn with the understanding that it's a non-permanent arrangement. We do staff augmentation for large roll outs... whether it be phone support / disaster recovery personnel / etc... they get contracted knowing it's a limited engagement... I see where you are coming from, but there are plenty of companies that can staff your temporary needs. (I'm sure it's scary to do the first time too... eeek. Contracts too... ugh... ) Something to think about for some unskilled labor like assembly, packing shipping.. You know, the jobs that people can learn in a day and repeat over and over. But actually "hiring" temp staff....that's a no-no. Best to contract that stuff out with a man power supplier so that it's just another assignment to their people

I'm sure there is a learning curve, you can't just take anybody off the street. Also, do you want somebody putting together your beloved AX8 for their first time? (There goes a knob)

Also, that learning curve will require somebody to train, which will slow production down some more. He chose to go this route, let him run his business the way he wants to. You are still going to buy it today or tomorrow or 3 months from now

I love small companies like FAS who's really dedicated to the product they're selling and keep it small although it might be more money to gain by maybe teaming up with a big brand and sell it on major stores everywhere.
It's a more familiar feeling to own a product like this and the support is very personal and direct.
I also own a Vigier guitar. Again a very small company with long waiting lists, but with great attention to quality and detail. In their forum you will also get answers from Patrice Vigier himself.

A different experience from dealing with support when i owned Line6 and played big brand guitars.

Also, that learning curve will require somebody to train, which will slow production down some more. He chose to go this route, let him run his business the way he wants to. You are still going to buy it today or tomorrow or 3 months from now

Absolutely... it's too late for this roll out. Next product though... call the local staffing agency. They have good people on the bench needing work... And yeah... it's gotta be for simple, repetitive jobs that can be trained up quickly.. On board them with a morning of the essential safety, rules, ethics. Afternoon of Do this, this, this, and that... repeat... here's a laminated chart of the steps to execute for reference.

In all I see the OP's point and it would be a relief to at least know how many get shipped out per day just as an FYI and to the very least calculate your invit date.
The way this forum is? Letting that information go public would be a mess. There would be guys grabbing a calculators doing some calculations looking at the waiting list spreadsheets and acting like the have it all figured out. I could just imagine guys going it has been 8 days so you guys have shipped x amount of units so we should be here on the spreadsheet. Next People will want to know how many people call out cik per day or take vacation because that will mess with how many people are working the shipping label machine. Then they will want to know how many of each other unit are shipping per day. See where I am going with this? People on the internet can suck

I love small companies like FAS who's really dedicated to the product they're selling and keep it small although it might be more money to gain by maybe teaming up with a big brand and sell it on major stores everywhere.
It's a more familiar feeling to own a product like this and the support is very personal and direct.
I also own a Vigier guitar. Again a very small company with long waiting lists, but with great attention to quality and detail. In their forum you will also get answers from Patrice Vigier himself.

A different experience from dealing with support when i owned Line6 and played big brand guitars.

Vigier makes a HELLUVA nice guitar...

Back
Top Bottom