Too amp like????

So cool when you go from a killer tone to an even better one! My pre sets are all better so thanks for starting this thread @X-Mann !
I also tried a pre-set out with your PEQ & that also did good things, but in the end....I just needed the changes that were mentioned here. I might mess around w/ this a little more later on down the road.

I saved my original presets & have now gone back & forth....& the tone is the same, I really didn't change that at all. It's a clarity thing here & not necessarily a brightness thing either. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around what is really going on here....& I guess I don't care in the end either.

Part of me wants to say that while my original presets sounded good alone when jamming, but they didn't sit good in the mix, stand-out or have the clarity needed. Most of what I'm talking about is ONLY for distorted presets too. I've never had a problem w/ the clean amps & settings.

As soon as I did a quick sound check on my very 1st preset at my gig on Saturday night, I knew that I was in for a great night.

Again, I can't "THANK" this community enough here......& I never thought in a million years that I would understand or get to this level of tweaking either.

I'm glad that this helped others out too....& I will now "PAY IT FORWARD" to others along my journey!

X

Last edited:
Jimmy Eat World - The Middle Solo

My daughter-in-law was Snap Chatting really short video clips to her friends & I got a small chance to hear it from the other side of the PA.

Put some ear buds in & know that it sounded & felt just killer to play through these rigs.

Lenny Kravitz - Are you gonna go my way solo

X-Mann singing about the year I was born. Lol #summerof69

You're hearing the CA3+ RHY amp model here too......

I know that these clips are not great, but I've heard clips in the past of my rigs done this way. Plus I know how it felt in the room for me....& I've got a pair of Friedman ASM-12's blasting more sound in my face too.

You're only hearing the PA in these clips....well that & she was sitting right next to the bass players amp when recording this......So...LOTS O BASS. Lol

X

PS - I'm a weekend warrior & my weekend was GOOD boys!!! \m/

PSS - I know others were taking longer videos from a better/more centered position & I'm trying to get those, but these tell me what I already knew & felt all evening long.

Last edited:
I love the CA3+ rhythm. It's very immediate. A modern in your face drive, and with the right settings, it goes from clean to saturated. I use it for all my Toto-Chicago-esque studio smooth sounds.. The lead channel is pure liquid into space gain.It's wonderful.

Over the years I have owned a lot amps. I like most of my tube amps and several modelling ones. After getting the AX8, I also feel it just sounds and plays too amp-like. It can easily replace most of my tube amps, but I am surprised it cannot actually replace my modelling amps. I have dialed some good modelling tones from a Fender Mustang before but now I can't get them out of the AX8. At least it just doesn't respond like a traditional modeler. Never thought this could become a problem to me though...

Over the years I have owned a lot amps. I like most of my tube amps and several modelling ones. After getting the AX8, I also feel it just sounds and plays too amp-like. It can easily replace most of my tube amps, but I am surprised it cannot actually replace my modelling amps. I have dialed some good modelling tones from a Fender Mustang before but now I can't get them out of the AX8. At least it just doesn't respond like a traditional modeler. Never thought this could become a problem to me though...
I felt very smilar until I created this thread & got the answers up above.

I actually wanted to bring back some compression that I was use to & now I'm able to do that.

Did you mess with the knobs & parameters mentioned in this thread?

X

I felt very smilar until I created this thread & got the answers up above.

I actually wanted to bring back some compression that I was use to & now I'm able to do that.

Did you mess with the knobs & parameters mentioned in this thread?

X
Haven't yet. Just saw this thread at work today. Now I'm racing home and trying them out. Thanks for starting up this discussion bro!

Vids aren't playing for me, but then again, I had a chance to be there in person Saturday night so it serves me right haha. Wish we didn't have another commitment. I also could have answered my own question about your ASM speaker grilles.

Yeah, Cliff please add a pod HD model!! We want some vintage digital artifacts' mojo back!! Lol

Vids aren't playing for me, but then again, I had a chance to be there in person Saturday night so it serves me right haha. Wish we didn't have another commitment. I also could have answered my own question about your ASM speaker grilles.
The video issue must have been my laptop, watched them on my phone instead and from what I could tell the tone sounds really good in the mix X. Like you said it's hard to tell a lot from from the audio, I gotta get over to see you guys when you play there, it's ten minutes from me. Great vocals too btw!

The video issue must have been my laptop, watched them on my phone instead and from what I could tell the tone sounds really good in the mix X. Like you said it's hard to tell a lot from from the audio, I gotta get over to see you guys when you play there, it's ten minutes from me. Great vocals too btw!
Thanks Mike, put some ear-buds in & the bass & guitars will stand out more to you. ! I know when my tones are working live & totally moving me to play better & outside of my abilities.

I have fixed that last element that was escaping me due to the killer answers & guys that took the time to help a brother out here.

It's almost funny to me how easy it was to fix something that was totally driving me crazy too!I had spent hours & hours getting my live presets right & knew I was VERY CLOSE at the time. Changing these knobs AFTER having already done so much more & getting SO CLOSE was key in me really hearing what they added & changed sound wise. If I had set them 1st & then dialed-in my rigs, I may not have had the profound effect it did on my mind like it did.

Oh.....& I'm not a lead singer & have just learned to do that on a few tunes as more of a novelty type thing. The repetitive nature of only singing "Summer of 69" & a few other tunes has really come a very long way from the very start.

Peace! Tim

Last edited:
Thanks Mike, put some ear-buds in & the bass & guitars will stand out more to you. ! I know when my tones are working live & totally moving me to play better & outside of my abilities.

I have fixed that last element that was escaping me due to the killer answers & guys that took the time to help a brother out here.

It's almost funny to me how easy it was to fix something that was totally driving me crazy too!I had spent hours & hours getting my live presets right & knew I was VERY CLOSE at the time. Changing these knobs AFTER having already done so much more & getting SO CLOSE was key in me really hearing what they added & changed sound wise. If I had set them 1st & then dialed-in my rigs, I may not have had the profound effect it did on my mind like it did.

Oh.....& I'm not a lead singer & have just learned to do that on a few tunes as more of a novelty type thing. The repetitive nature of only singing "Summer of 69" & a few other tunes has really come a very long way from the very start.

Peace! Tim
Yep I had earbuds in and it sounded great, it's just that when someone is videoing and the phone is moving around you get funky angular tone sweeps (I'm going to create an official acronym for that situation "FATS"). Or should it be Funky Angular Reactive Tone Sweeps? Sorry, 12 year old mind in a 49 year old body.

Anyway, your situation here reminds me of working with our old friend CREO, I will beat my head against the wall trying to figure out how to do something knowing that I will probably learn 3 or 4 new things along the way.

My personal struggle, which I've had since the purchase of my Ultra in 2011, is not wanting to deviate from pre-set parameters that are based on the "real" amp. Because "if this was a real JCM800, I wouldn't be able to adjust the transformer match etc.", which is rediculous on my part. I'm pretty much beyond that at this point, especially since quantum requires so little tweeking, and thats just to compensate for environmental and speaker system differences.

Back
Top Bottom