Tony at it again...smh, Axe-Fx III inside and out video review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh how I missed Tony.

I remember years ago, when he was about to review the Axe FX II and contacted me for some labels so he could review them at the same time. Sadly (although luckily, as it transpired!) I was out of stock of what he wanted, but the ZenRigs system was incorrectly showing them as being in stock. I told him this and immediately went to correct the system. Although he received (and quickly replied to) the email I'd sent him about the incorrect stock levels, he quickly got into the store and placed an order, followed up by an email asking me to send them ASAP. The 'unhinged-o-meter' was swinging wildly so I just refunded him and never got back in touch. Shortly afterwards, he posted his scathing review (totally unbiased, of course, just like this one) on Fractal.

Strange chap. Never could work out his agenda. He does have some lovely gear though!

I'd guess the unhinged hatred goes back to being denied a free unit to review many years ago.

I thought it was because he felt discriminated against by FAS, or the forum, because of his age, or gender, or something along those lines...

Obviously a delusional thing because we all know about 95% of the higher end music gear market is middle aged and older white guys with disposable income lol

He's at it again

easily the worst "reviewer" of the Axe III... he obviously has "an axe to grind" and time to spare. It's one thing to be naive or even unskilled in your presentation. However, to purposefully mislead someone away from the truth, even by omission of factual nuance is anarchy.

Last edited:
Somebody better quickly tell Metallica, Def Leppard, Avenge Sevenfold, Dweezil Zappa, John Petrucci, that Tony, and his friend’s, said that Axe FX 3 is too complicated, sounds “ok” and might not be worth it. Oh yeah, and don’t tour the world with it, the warranty and all. And tell Satriani that his AX8, that I witnessed from 3 feet away, might get a usable sound after 45 minutes of confusing and challenging programming. Tony is, of course, a way more accomplished and knowledgeable musician than those “paid by FAS” musicians. It’s obvious that FAS can sway Metallica to use their products with a sweetheart deal. They need the money. Oh yeah, lastly, Guitar World, Premier Guitar, Guitar.com, MusicPlayers.com, Music Radar...all of those glowing 5 star reviews. Tone, features, interface, quality, customer service...Those reviewers are all being fooled by the hype... Um...They, the legit world renowned music publications, are the hype...

And tell Satriani that his AX8, that I witnessed from 3 feet away
Tell me more... I've never heard of Satch using an AX8. He does use an Axe Fx and MFC-101, though.

That would be interesting because I've only ever heard or seen him use Fractal gear for effects, same as Vai.

Wait, didn't he promise to never own another Axe Fx again? Liar!!!

Obviously he's the kind of guy who sniffs out other people's recycling so that he can report them to the coppers if there's something non-recyclable.

Correction. It may have been an FX8 that Satch was using. I was just learning all about FAS gear at the point that I saw that show.

It seems he's hung up on the fact that it costs less to make than FAS sells it for. I only got far enough for him to keep ranting about the price of components. You can do that with anything. The price is what the market will bear and the quality of the goods. If it sucked, no one would pay 2500.

Reactions: Woz
It seems he's hung up on the fact that it costs less to make than FAS sells it for. I only got far enough for him to keep ranting about the price of components. You can do that with anything. The price is what the market will bear and the quality of the goods. If it sucked, no one would pay 2500.

A lot of people seem to think if something has, say, $100 worth of parts it should sell for no more than $120. They fail to realize that the parts cost is a small part of the overall cost of the goods. There's also salaries, rent, utilities, insurance, R&D, etc., etc., etc.

I also thought it was a little weird that he was kind of putting down the DSP. Yes there are faster ones now, but I'm pretty sure none of them are in a production audio preamp. It still outclasses everything on the market that I'm aware of. Maybe one of those 5K Eventides might have one or something, but I'm not really read up on them.

I also thought it was a little weird that he was kind of putting down the DSP. Yes there are faster ones now, but I'm pretty sure none of them are in a production audio preamp. It still outclasses everything on the market that I'm aware of. Maybe one of those 5K Eventides might have one or something, but I'm not really read up on them.
What ones are faster? TI makes the most powerful DSPs, by far. The only DSPs more powerful than the one in the Axe-Fx III are the family members with more cores, but they're too expensive for a consumer product.

Check the price on Eventide or Lexicon. I don't know if these rack mount fx units are better are worse for a specfic thing than the AxefxIII, but I do know they cost as much or more than the Axe. I'll go out on a limb and say that the Axe is at least in the ball park with these in terms of effects and it also does a really good job of modeling a whole bunch of guitar amps. $1800 for a Kemper with not so good effects, and arguably less stellar modeling ability's. So, as far as the money goes....I don't see how any one could really quibble over the price. I'm kind of curious why this guy has so much hate for Fractal. Of the cuff he just seems like some eccentric crazy guy who has incoporated a lot of hype into his world view. I feel sorry for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom