Status
Not open for further replies.
fyi - regarding Ryan's vid above which points out that Tonex drive captures were not actually usable anywhere, I got an Amplitube / Tonex update today which mentions the following change:

"This update offers tighter integration with TONEX with the addition of a new piece of gear called TONEX Stomp. With TONEX Stomp you can use any TONEX Stomp Tone Model anywhere within the AmpliTube signal chain."
I got Tonex and I can confirm, it came with a really slim version of Amplitube, and I can insert a 'Tonex' capture into Amplitube.

The Tonex 'chain' is pretty slim (as noted). Amp, Cab, Compressor, Reverb....that's it.
BUT, the amp/captures sound excellent!! I have not done any of my own yet, just playing around with what comes with Tonex, and some User downloads from their cloud. Honestly, I wish it had more effects in the Tonex UI, but the tones are better than the Neural plugins that I tried (and the Quad Cortex). No more of the ear fatigue that came with the QC.
For the price, this is a great tool to have on my laptop!

I got Tonex and I can confirm, it came with a really slim version of Amplitube, and I can insert a 'Tonex' capture into Amplitube.

The Tonex 'chain' is pretty slim (as noted). Amp, Cab, Compressor, Reverb....that's it.
BUT, the amp/captures sound excellent!! I have not done any of my own yet, just playing around with what comes with Tonex, and some User downloads from their cloud. Honestly, I wish it had more effects in the Tonex UI, but the tones are better than the Neural plugins that I tried (and the Quad Cortex). No more of the ear fatigue that came with the QC.
For the price, this is a great tool to have on my laptop!

Lots of great stuff coming in 2023 for ToneX.

still the question , how do you change the tones live, (scenes, presets .......) when you have the software in your pc ??????

still the question , how do you change the tones live, (scenes, presets .......) when you have the software in your pc ??????

Well, they are coming out with a ToneX pedal that will store/play the ToneX captures, plus user captures and captures of your own amps etc...so we'll see!

Great price....but very slim on effects.

I don’t think they’re going for the fully fledged modeling unit with this, that’ll most likely come down the road with and I’d imagine it’d be a mix of ToneX and Amplitube. In my case, I don’t want this to have any effects. I want to use this on a pedal-based board and stick it towards the end with a breakout box that’ll either allow me to bypass and go to a real amp(s) or to go direct to FOH.

NAM update is out. It adds an IR loader and EQ section. Still a few bugs to iron out, however, its moving along at a good pace. Out of every amp capture product out there, NAM is at the top for me. Its free, and the captures are great. The REVV captures are sick that he posted on his facebook group page and youtube video

WAYYYYYYY too much hype for Tonex. Its not that great, most of the user captures are absolutely horrendous and completely inaccurate. I still havnt found any captures of an EVH 5150 III that even comes close to my EVH head.

I don’t think they’re going for the fully fledged modeling unit with this, that’ll most likely come down the road with and I’d imagine it’d be a mix of ToneX and Amplitube. In my case, I don’t want this to have any effects. I want to use this on a pedal-based board and stick it towards the end with a breakout box that’ll either allow me to bypass and go to a real amp(s) or to go direct to FOH.
I think I've just been spoiled too long with my Fractal units where I can have it all in one box.
The thought of creating a pedalboard again and doing the tap dancing of turning multiple things on/off at once just seems archaic to me now.

Still a few bugs to iron out, however, its moving along at a good pace.
Do you work for them, or are you a beta tester?

WAYYYYYYY too much hype for Tonex. Its not that great, most of the user captures are absolutely horrendous and completely inaccurate. I still havnt found any captures of an EVH 5150 III that even comes close to my EVH head.
Have you done a capture of your EVH head? If not, then how can you judge the product as being completely inaccurate?

I have Tonex - it's excellent and it's cheap.

Do you work for them, or are you a beta tester?

Have you done a capture of your EVH head? If not, then how can you judge the product as being completely inaccurate?

I have Tonex - it's excellent and it's cheap.
I am not employed or a tester

I have not done a capture, again, has no relevance as I am judging every single user capture I compared to my EVH head, and they all sucked.

Good for you that you like Tonex

Last edited:
Also, I look at how a company updates their products regarding improvements in sound. Fractal is really good in this regard. IK Multimedia, not so much I think. That would be an issue for me if I purchased the Tonex pedal. Will IK Multimedia improve their software, and ai to have more accurate captures? Will they address shortcomings in the browser and cloud systems they have in place?

I dont know.....I just have a feeling IK isnt going to be pushing out updates to improve Tonex at the rate users would like.

I have not done a capture, again, has no relevance as I am judging every single user capture I compared to my EVH head, and they all sucked.
This statement is hard to reconcile. You have made no captures, but you are judging the tone of other people's captures against your head?

I judge these products as to how well the reproduce the source they are capturing. In watching the video in the original post, the Tonex is doing a great job of reproducing the source material it was given.

I just like seeing more competition in the amp modeling space. Keeps all the different companies on their toes and we consumers reap the benefits.

Only real reason I'd be interested in ToneX is because Fractal still doesn't have a Fryette Ultralead or CLX model. Which is crazy to me. One of the best high-gain amps ever.

Also, I look at how a company updates their products regarding improvements in sound. Fractal is really good in this regard. IK Multimedia, not so much I think. That would be an issue for me if I purchased the Tonex pedal. Will IK Multimedia improve their software, and ai to have more accurate captures? Will they address shortcomings in the browser and cloud systems they have in place?

I dont know.....I just have a feeling IK isnt going to be pushing out updates to improve Tonex at the rate users would like.
I've used IK modelling plugins (Amplitube) and other IK products for many years - they do provide fairly frequent updates, and from my experience are serious about improving their products (probably not to Fractal's standard but who is?). I don't own Tonex (not into the whole capture thing), but I would not expect any different for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom