Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the factory IK and professionally created captures sound pretty damn good to me. Not a single person in this forum could tell the difference between a capture and real amp in a mix anyway.

yup I agree - the captures are created by someone else's guitar/pickups etc and more importantly the person's perception of what sounds good. You may be lucky in getting a capture that translates to what you want.
I played again with the Tonex software but this time using my IR's and it was a better experience - at this price point it could be useful - I'm glad I didn't go down the Kemper/QC route.

If you have gear you love though, you can capture that in whatever combinations / settings you like, which is a huge pro to me. You don't necessarily have to rely on other people

NAM is the best - I love it. Managed to train my own stuff locally (own PC) and not have to rely on the Google Colab cloud. The resulting models are so juicy. It's an amazing product (and it's free lol).

this!

Most of the factory IK and professionally created captures sound pretty damn good to me. Not a single person in this forum could tell the difference between a capture and real amp in a mix anyway.
I suspect that most modern modelers and plugins can do that with enough tweaking... But in my opinion as a player, I need it to feel like an amp.

As a fractal fanatic, I can say - it feels pretty good. I like it better than the QC and Helix. I have not tried NAM.
Same here, better than helix and kemper imho and, at least thru monitors at moderate volume, fm9 captures feel pretty similar to the real fm9, but I'll say it for sure when I'll have the opportunity to try it thru my 2x12s

I did a capture of my Das Metall preset and it came out pretty good. I'm MetalMMX on tone net. Or in the app just search Das Metall. It's funny that I used effectively a modeler to capture a modeler.

Also just wanted to add after playing the capture back and forth against the model in the Axe that it is similar but slightly different. I'm assuming that is the same case with the actual amp captures as well. This is what I would classify as pretty much the same and close enough.

As a fractal fanatic, I can say - it feels pretty good. I like it better than the QC and Helix. I have not tried NAM.
The NAM plugin is currently pretty spartan: load the model, load the IR - done. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles ToneX has.
BUT for that one thing that it does (profiling), NAM mops the floor with ToneX, QC, Kemper.

The NAM plugin is currently pretty spartan: load the model, load the IR - done. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles ToneX has.
BUT for that one thing that it does (profiling), NAM mops the floor with ToneX, QC, Kemper.
Well, I just tried making a profile of an amp from my fm9 (59 Bassguy Bright) and I'm even more impressed by NAM! With a training of 150 epochs (final ESR 0.010), that took less than the advanced mode of ToneX, it spat out a model that's virtually indistinguishable from the original, imvho.
Judge for yourself and try to guess which is which:

A

B

And here's a null test between the two:

Well, I just tried making a profile of an amp from my fm9 (59 Bassguy Bright) and I'm even more impressed by NAM! With a training of 150 epochs (final ESR 0.010), that took less than the advanced mode of ToneX, it spat out a model that's virtually indistinguishable from the original, imvho.

A

B

Cool. Have they announced the pedal version yet?

However available such a thing is or isn't, the pedal version is the one I'd really want!
Yeah, it would be great if someone makes a pedal that can load NAM captures, but first of all it needs a plugin/app to make captures and trainings easy.

A

B

Your null test seems quite loud so there are improvements to be had or the or it hasn't been volume matched etc.
You can try upping it to a 1000 epochs but that would take more time

I just did a capture of my 5150 block letter patch which has the Maxon 808 boost in front of it. It didn't come out so good. The over all distortion got dialed back somehow. When I did the Das Metall capture there was no boost in front and it came out well. I'm wondering if Tonex didn't know how to deal with the boost against the amp model or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom