Tonewood is BULLS*T!!!!

It's a waste of time because this type of video doesn't forward the goal of the site of improving our use of the Fractal products. In addition, posting it is questionable because the video is intended to be inflammatory, it historically results in that sort of commentary, and is guaranteed to result in that sort of discussion here. Why post it when we know that'll happen? Just to wave a red flag in front of the bull?

Click-bait aside.... He did the experiment the right way - only vary the woods, keep everything else the same. I

I've always suspected the most important factors in the sound of a guitar are

• The pickup position relative to the ends of the string (i.e. where is the pickup positioned along the length of the strings) - This by far will dominate the resulting frequency response - see a simplified simulation here: http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponseDemo/
  • The electrical network - i.e. the combination of the electrical characteristics of the pickup in question and the combination of tone/volume potentiometer, capacitors, cable shunt capacitance etc.

I heard a difference. The first clip with the mahogany guitar sounded brighter than the ash. When he revealed the audio switch that made sense. Whether that difference is due to the quality of the wood or the species is irrelevant. They sounded different.:) One was dark on the high strings the other bright. The differences become negligible with gain and distortion.

Last edited:
As much as I am not a big fan of his schtick, he isn't entirely wrong. I think it's a bit more nuanced of a discussion than he's putting forth, though. But nobody wants to have a discussion on the internet! So &@^#&@^ that guy!! ;)

As much as I am not a big fan of his schtick, he isn't entirely wrong. I think it's a bit more nuanced of a discussion than he's putting forth, though. But nobody wants to have a discussion on the internet! So &@^#&@^ that guy!! ;)

I agree it is more nuanced---but not as if he wants to have a discussion about it either. :)

He clearly doesn't. He wants to be right and make others wrong. Like with his tube types make no
difference in tone or feel either. He has his strawmen more than anyone else, ones that he lights on
fire pretty consistently. He also cherry picks comments on his channel to beat people down with, and
has the notorious butthurt of the week segment.

I found it all refreshing at one time, and now I find him as predictable as everything he criticizes. How ironic. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom