ToneQuest Series + Free Presets

gurtejsingh

Inspired
Hey Guys, just starting out on the forum here and have had the Axe FX II for a while!

I've started a series on my YouTube channel, called 'ToneQuest', where I am creating presets (using stock amps and cabs) for popular tracks and well chased guitar tones and sharing it with you all on the Axe Change. The process takes a while, but I am loving the feedback and comments so far. So if you are interested please do check them out.

I cannot post links unless I reach 10 posts, but media should be fine right? Admins please allow this if you can.

If you want to check out my presets, search for 'gurtejsingh' in AxeChange, you shall get all of my presets. Every preset has a link to a YT demo and some discussion about the preset.

There's Pink Floyd, Nick Johnston in there at the moment, will be coming up with more presets regularly!

Hope you guys like it! Would love your feedback and support! Cheers.

Last edited:
Great presets and dual Pink Floyd is a great way to start! I'll be following your progress on this.

One question/comment; the presets on the axechange are for firmware version Q-9.x. Are you still using this old version? Since most of us are living in 2019 with the newer version you might want to consider updating them to Ares 1.03.

Great presets and dual Pink Floyd is a great way to start! I'll be following your progress on this.

Thank you so much for watching and following. I really appreciate it! More stuff coming soon, shifting a bit to the heavier side of things :)

One question/comment; the presets on the axechange are for firmware version Q-9.x. Are you still using this old version? Since most of us are living in 2019 with the newer version you might want to consider updating them to Ares 1.03.

Fair point. I should have updated my firmware before, which I have done now. Just to understand how this works, are we unable to load/download presets from a previous firmware (Q-9.x) onto a newer firmware (Ares 1.03) ? Just curious to understand, I haven't tried this yet.

I will be posting newer versions of these presets up soon (perhaps over the weekend). I will update this thread once I have them up. Thank you again!

Fair point. I should have updated my firmware before, which I have done now. Just to understand how this works, are we unable to load/download presets from a previous firmware (Q-9.x) onto a newer firmware (Ares 1.03) ? Just curious to understand, I haven't tried this yet.

You can still import older firmware presets into Ares, but they will probably not sound as intended since the Ares firmware uses a different modeling engine.

Thank you very much for creating and sharing these presets!

I've made a quick test of the NJ preset with the Axe-FX III, and I've found that I can get a little bit more "nasal" tone (closer to the original recording) with the ODS-100 Ford instead of the Friedman BE C45.

I am playing with an American Deluxe Strat with Fender CS Fat '50 on the neck

Here is the screen-shot of the settings:
Impossible-Things-01.png

I've also added a Tape pre-amp at the CAB block.
Impossible-Things-02.png

Thank you very much for creating and sharing these presets!

I've made a quick test of the NJ preset with the Axe-FX III, and I've found that I can get a little bit more "nasal" tone (closer to the original recording) with the ODS-100 Ford instead of the Friedman BE C45.

I am playing with an American Deluxe Strat with Fender CS Fat '50 on the neck

Here is the screen-shot of the settings:
Impossible-Things-01.png

I've also added a Tape pre-amp at the CAB block.
Impossible-Things-02.png

Thank you so much for trying out the preset and posting possible improvements! I honestly did not try any other amp at all, purely because he mentioned so many times that he used a 'Freidman BE' only to get his sound. I should have explored more.

I don't think the ODS-100 Ford is available in the Axe FX 2? Or I could be wrong. Good suggestion on the pre-amp too! There is seriously so much tweaking you can do with the Axe FX, that it drives me nuts sometimes :D

Anyhoo, would love to hear how your preset sounds! Is there a sample?

Cheers, and once again, thank you for trying out my presets, appreciate it a lot!

I tried the Dumble ODS-100 just because it cost around $30,000 , and there are less than 300 in the world :p
It responds nicely to the playing dynamics (attacking the strings softer or harder)

It is available at the Axe-FX II
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...dels-ods-100-dumble-overdrive-special.114390/

I've also tried other IR's, at random, but It didn't get better. Your IR selection works very well.

I will try to record something this evening.

Last edited:
I tried the Dumble ODS-100 just because it cost around $30,000 and there are less than 300 in the world :p
It responds nicely to the playing dynamics (attacking the strings softer or harder)

It is available at the Axe-FX II
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...dels-ods-100-dumble-overdrive-special.114390/

I've also tried other IR's, at random, but It didn't get better. Your IR selection works very well.

I will try to record something this evening.

Thank you! Oh, I thought there was a difference between the ODS-100 and ODS-100 Ford! Thanks for pointing it out. I will try it out soon :)

Yeah, the IR was very very tricky for me too. Tried a LOT! But could not find anything better! Looking forward to hear how it sounds! Cheers.

Here is a quick test with the modded preset:

I am sorry that I haven't learned the song yet :sweatsmile:

I have finally used factory1 cab #264 112 Deluxe Verb 121 Rev mixed with Valhallir VH-MA-WhiteAX97-k-4400-B2c-MP, as in the picture below

I am not saying that it is better than your original version; it already sounds very cool. I am just having fun tweaking the tone with different flavours :)

NJ-05.png

I attach the preset. It is for the III, but it can be open with FracTool to look at the parameters

Attachments

• Impossible things M2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 18
Here is a quick test with the modded preset:

I am sorry that I haven't learned the song yet :sweatsmile:

I have finally used factory1 cab #264 112 Deluxe Verb 121 Rev mixed with Valhallir VH-MA-WhiteAX97-k-4400-B2c-MP, as in the picture below

I am not saying that it is better than your original version; it already sounds very cool. I am just having fun tweaking the tone with different flavours :)

NJ-05.png

I attach the preset. It is for the III, but it can be open with FracTool to look at the parameters

Hey man, Thanks for all the effort you put into this. It indeed does sound more crunchy and nice! I would love to try it. One thing (I probably forgot to mention) I always try to do with my presets is keep everything stock so that the preset works out of the box for everyone. It's just a preference. But would love try out that ValhallIR cab that you have there.

One question I had is, I see that you have used a phaser as well over there, is there anything specific that it does as well? Just curious to know!

Once again, thank you so much, the preset sounds great. I will probably try to replicate this on the Axe FX II when I have some free time! I usually get very less time since I have a full time day job, and I am always trying to create more presets :)

Cheers.
gT

I am using the phaser to add a very subtle vibe.

As you can see, it is only at 16% and depth at 2.5. You only notice that there is juice when comparing it with the bypassed effect.

NJ-01.png

BTW: today I have been trying the preset with the Ibanez JS2450 instead of the Strat (the Dimarzio Satch-Track at the neck is a cross between single coil and humbucker), and with that guitar I prefer the tone of your original Friedman rather than the ODS-100 (but still using the Valhallir). The dynamic response, without even moving the volume pot, is huge! From subtle cleans with light fingerpicking to dirty smoke when hitting hard.

We are so lucky to play guitar in the age of the Axe-FX! :)

Last edited:

Hey buddy, just to let you know that I have upgraded the Shine On you crazy diamond preset to Ares 1.03. The new preset link is here: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=7125.

Please let me know how you find it! Cheers!

I am using the phaser to add a very subtle vibe.

As you can see, it is only at 16% and depth at 2.5. You only notice that there is juice when comparing it with the bypassed effect.

NJ-01.png

BTW: today I have been trying the preset with the Ibanez JS2450 instead of the Strat (the Dimarzio Satch-Track at the neck is a cross between single coil and humbucker), and with that guitar I prefer the tone of your original Friedman rather than the ODS-100 (but still using the Valhallir). The dynamic response, without even moving the volume pot, is huge! From subtle cleans with light fingerpicking to dirty smoke when hitting hard.

We are so lucky to play guitar in the age of the Axe-FX! :)

Thanks a lot buddy! It would be indeed interesting to try this preset on humbuckers, haven't tried it, as I am too busy figuring out a new preset!!! :) Hopefully I should be out with it soon!

Thanks a lot for your help with this! Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom