ToneQuest - Let's Dial it in - Joe Satriani's Extremist era tone + FREE preset

gurtejsingh

Inspired
It's finally here guys! Thanks for your patience and I hope you guys enjoy the whole video because it took me some time to put it together, and I have tried to explain the choices I made in as much depth I could.

FREE preset as always on the Axe Change for the legendary tone from Joe Satriani from the Extremist era. Do download the preset, give it a try and do let me know your feedback in a comment on the video. And if this video helps you in getting the tone you wanted, please consider supporting the channel with a sub. Cheers!

Another great video Gurtej, thank you for taking the time to go thru it in detail and explain it all. I will be trying to create something similar for my AX8. Thanks again. Brett

Another great video Gurtej, thank you for taking the time to go thru it in detail and explain it all. I will be trying to create something similar for my AX8. Thanks again. Brett

Thanks a lot brother. Glad you like it!

One question I've always had is whether you all like the amount of depth I go into explaining each preset? Or is it too much, and you guys would rather prefer me just dialing in the tone straight away without any background or explaining my research?

Cheers man for taking the time to check it out. Appreciate it.

Great video! Somehow that tone reminded me of John Petrucci’s early tones. He’s a known Mesa Boogie user, but I think he played a Marshall on Metropolis part 1. Uses a lot of chorus, delay and I think he used a Tube Screamer in the early days (mid-boost, so it’s close to the cocked wah thing). Also, your guitar.

Great video! Somehow that tone reminded me of John Petrucci’s early tones. He’s a known Mesa Boogie user, but I think he played a Marshall on Metropolis part 1. Uses a lot of chorus, delay and I think he used a Tube Screamer in the early days (mid-boost, so it’s close to the cocked wah thing). Also, your guitar.

Thanks a lot man. I never knew that he might have used a Marshall on Metropolis, that would be awesome. Glad you liked the tone buddy! Can you please help me with an answer to my post above? Really looking to make these videos better for all of you. Cheers!

Thanks a lot man. I never knew that he might have used a Marshall on Metropolis, that would be awesome. Glad you liked the tone buddy! Can you please help me with an answer to my post above? Really looking to make these videos better for all of you. Cheers!
Of course. I went off rails with my comment anyway 😅

I don’t think the video is too long or you go into details too much. It’s fine as it is. If I’m interested in a tone, at least I like to hear a short background story how you or the player might’ve got the tone. Explaining the details helps others to make certain decisions when crafting their own tone. Otherwise it’s just ”I put the treble to 7, because that’s where I always put it” and that’s not really educational.

Crafting a tone is like building a puzzle piece by piece. Just showing and playing with the final tone is like presenting a puzzle that’s already been made ready.

Of course. I went off rails with my comment anyway 😅

I don’t think the video is too long or you go into details too much. It’s fine as it is. If I’m interested in a tone, at least I like to hear a short background story how you or the player might’ve got the tone. Explaining the details helps others to make certain decisions when crafting their own tone. Otherwise it’s just ”I put the treble to 7, because that’s where I always put it” and that’s not really educational.

Crafting a tone is like building a puzzle piece by piece. Just showing and playing with the final tone is like presenting a puzzle that’s already been made ready.

Thank you so much man for answering my question. I'm just trying to understand what works best for all viewers as I do usually feel that folks skip over to the actual tone creation part. Which is absolutely fine, but as a content creator I do want to provide content which is entertaining and contextual to watch. I guess it's all about finding the right balance between details and the actual settings.

But I'm super glad that you like the content and the flow of the video, and it certainly encourages me to make more! Cheers man and thank you for taking the time out buddy. Cheers!

PS: It would be really helpful if others folks could chime in as well. I would really appreciate everyone's thoughts!

Thank you so much man for answering my question. I'm just trying to understand what works best for all viewers as I do usually feel that folks skip over to the actual tone creation part. Which is absolutely fine, but as a content creator I do want to provide content which is entertaining and contextual to watch. I guess it's all about finding the right balance between details and the actual settings.

But I'm super glad that you like the content and the flow of the video, and it certainly encourages me to make more! Cheers man and thank you for taking the time out buddy. Cheers!

PS: It would be really helpful if others folks could chime in as well. I would really appreciate everyone's thoughts!
No problem! If you feel like there's some people who don't care about the backgrounds and only want to hear the final tone, maybe you can add a button to skip to the end to see the result and how to download the preset :cool:

No problem! If you feel like there's some people who don't care about the backgrounds and only want to hear the final tone, maybe you can add a button to skip to the end to see the result and how to download the preset :cool:

Yes, I was thinking on the same lines. Probably add timestamps! Thank you again.

I enjoy seeing and hearing about the back ground stuff. Im still very much a newbie with my AX8. Im picking info up from people such as yourself that helps me a great deal. Even if you were doing a tone I wasnt that much into Id still spend the time to watch your video as its all part of the learning curve for me. Just as an aside to this, the other day I was messing around trying to split a harmony part (dry signal to one amp, wet signal to another) and I just couldnt work it out. @chris helped with the info needed and away I went. I would not have worked it out in a million years!
So please keep the video's coming. Can I also add that you are a great guitar player! Your Sir are an inspiration to me! Thank you.

I enjoy seeing and hearing about the back ground stuff. Im still very much a newbie with my AX8. Im picking info up from people such as yourself that helps me a great deal. Even if you were doing a tone I wasnt that much into Id still spend the time to watch your video as its all part of the learning curve for me. Just as an aside to this, the other day I was messing around trying to split a harmony part (dry signal to one amp, wet signal to another) and I just couldnt work it out. @chris helped with the info needed and away I went. I would not have worked it out in a million years!
So please keep the video's coming. Can I also add that you are a great guitar player! Your Sir are an inspiration to me! Thank you.
Thank you Brett! Yes, I found it quite a lot to understand when I first got the axe fx last year. I probably was (and still mostly) am in a similar situation. It was Leon's videos that really saved the day for me. I'm glad that you like the content and enjoy it. Really motivates me to do more, really. And thank you for appreciating my guitar skills. I have still a lot to learn and I cannot do half the things I see people doing honestly. Thank you again man for the awesome support!

Great video! Huge Satriani fan, so I'll have to check this out :)

Also, the video itself was really nice, but I'm a nerd, and love the in-depth stuff! Maybe you can reorganize it to capture more folks. Videos that dive right into the meat seem to work well... like, a 5 second introduction, and then maybe a split screen of the preset matrix on the bottom, you playing the tones on the top, and some scrolling text for basics, like which amp was used, the cab, etc. Then, spend time going through how you got there. Basically, drop the bait, set the hook, then slowly reel us in :p

Great video! Huge Satriani fan, so I'll have to check this out :)

Also, the video itself was really nice, but I'm a nerd, and love the in-depth stuff! Maybe you can reorganize it to capture more folks. Videos that dive right into the meat seem to work well... like, a 5 second introduction, and then maybe a split screen of the preset matrix on the bottom, you playing the tones on the top, and some scrolling text for basics, like which amp was used, the cab, etc. Then, spend time going through how you got there. Basically, drop the bait, set the hook, then slowly reel us in :p

Thank you for the incredible feedback. Really appreciate it. Also, thank you for the helpful tips around how to make the video more engaging. I always do try to start off by playing/showcasing the tone, but to keep everything under 5 secs is way too tough for any intro I think. But I do like your idea and will consider it for my future preset breakdowns! Cheers and thank you again :)

Hi Gurtej, my friend and I recorded for fun, as there are no gigs anymore, EUROPA from Santana. So tried your Satriani Preset "Friends" and it worked great. Love this preset. I did a few cahanges: I swaped the IR's (I always do that :)) for 2 of Audio York's ir's from his Marshall M20 Cab Pack:

YA MRSH 412 M20 Mix 08:
YA MRSH 412 M20 Mix 09

and put the settings as follows:
Hi and Low Cut: 20 - 20000
and Mic L+R on "Null"
For the recording - I also turnt the tone knob on my Indie Les Paul down to about 4 to get the a bit an Santana like tone.

For Live&Loud today in the practice room I had puit the Hi and Low Cuts: 75 - 10466

We sort of called it afterwards Kempe vs Fractal, but it wasn't our intention as he used an Mesa Boogie and your preset is a Marshall 1959 SLP Jump

I hope you like it and keep up the good work. Your explain everything very well Gurtej.

Ups I almost forgott for those who are intersted. As our fingers are about 1 second behind the tone you can hear.
Fractal is at:
0:27 - 2:03
2.40 - 5:53
3.14 - 3:26
3:37 - 3:50
4:33 - 4:39
4:45 - end

Hi Gurtej, my friend and I recorded for fun, as there are no gigs anymore, EUROPA from Santana. So tried your Satriani Preset "Friends" and it worked great. Love this preset. I did a few cahanges: I swaped the IR's (I always do that :)) for 2 of Audio York's ir's from his Marshall M20 Cab Pack:

YA MRSH 412 M20 Mix 08:
YA MRSH 412 M20 Mix 09

and put the settings as follows:
Hi and Low Cut: 20 - 20000
and Mic L+R on "Null"
For the recording - I also turnt the tone knob on my Indie Les Paul down to about 4 to get the a bit an Santana like tone.

For Live&Loud today in the practice room I had puit the Hi and Low Cuts: 75 - 10466

We sort of called it afterwards Kempe vs Fractal, but it wasn't our intention as he used an Mesa Boogie and your preset is a Marshall 1959 SLP Jump

I hope you like it and keep up the good work. Your explain everything very well Gurtej.

Ups I almost forgott for those who are intersted. As our fingers are about 1 second behind the tone you can hear.
Fractal is at:
0:27 - 2:03
2.40 - 5:53
3.14 - 3:26
3:37 - 3:50
4:33 - 4:39
4:45 - end

Hey buddy! Sounds really good and I am so so happy that you used my preset :) Cheers and great playing both of you :) The tone sounds great on both the guitars!

Also, thank you for detailing out your changes and for the incredible feedback! It really is helpful :)

Back
Top Bottom