ToneQuest - Aftershock - Van Halen's Balance tone preset + breakdown

gurtejsingh

Inspired
Hello Folks! The preset break down for the preset I used on ToneQuest Episode 12 is out. This is my first attempt at a Van Halen preset and that too one of the most debated tones, so go easy on me in case I don't have it close :) I played the playthrough over the original track, and the lack of a backing track even makes it more harder to dial in tones. Hope I got somewhere close!

Thank you so much for all the great feedback this year and the amazing support from everyone who has contributed to the channel. And hope you guys have a great holiday season with your friends and family!

Sounds great but have a quick question related to stereo. First is why not use the balance knob to pan the 2 cabs L & R and then set the input on the pitch block to stereo instead leaving it at mono since the chorus before it is stereo output and then also in the pitch block pan +9cents to left or -9 cents to right to enhance the stereo widening instead of leaving both pans in the middle, doesn't EVH do this?
Just a quick observation perhaps to make this bigger sounding but I could be overthinking it...anyways thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Sounds great but have a quick question related to stereo. First is why not use the balance knob to pan the 2 cabs L & R and then set the input on the pitch block to stereo instead leaving it at mono since the chorus before it is stereo output and then also in the pitch block pan +9cents to left or -9 cents to right to enhance the stereo widening instead of leaving both pans in the middle, doesn't EVH do this?
Just a quick observation perhaps to make this bigger sounding but I could be overthinking it...anyways thanks for your time.
Thanks a lot for checking out the preset first of all! And your observation is quite interesting! While I'm not sure what Eddie used, but i remember trying the panning left and right for the pitch, and reverted it. Don't remember why, but it could be because i did not see much difference. Maybe give it a try and see if does indeed spread the sound even more. For me, i think it did not change much or maybe it was an overkill, but i do remember reverting it back! But that's just me!

Thanks a lot again and do let me know if you try it out and how you find it. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom