ToneClone - John Petrucci #1 (fw17.00 + Cab Pack 7)

Listen to the low end on those different JP guitars. Do some palm mutes and compare. That's where you'll see clear differences. D-Sonic and everything after that has a super tight low end. IMO the D-Sonic was the best pickup... I actually sold all other JP guitars when I got this BFR with D-Sonics and the roasted maple neck. :)

I second that.. =)
I like the D-Sonic more than the CL and waaay more than the Illuminators..
Actually, I think that the Illuminators have some weird thing going on at the mid range..

I was a huge fan of those original JP pickups that were in the early mucsicman JP's. I couldnt wait to rip out the CL/LF, not so much the LF but the CL is a pretty subpar pickup. Anyway thanks for posting those presets can't wait to give them a shot!

I was a huge fan of those original JP pickups that were in the early mucsicman JP's. I couldnt wait to rip out the CL/LF, not so much the LF but the CL is a pretty subpar pickup. Anyway thanks for posting those presets can't wait to give them a shot!

There's a reason for you to like the LF..
It's because it actually IS the "Custom" DiMarzio Neck pickup in the early JP6 model, like mine. =)

Gotcha, I thought the LF was slightly tweaked ether way that neck pickup is pretty great. Used to own a 2005 Jp with those first pickups and I sometimes regret trading it. Thankfully BKP Juggernauts are pretty incredible and the best set I've played so far.

After some playing with your Sfogli preset I just love it!
I think it´s the best Sfogli preset I have tried so far, thank you so much for sharing!
Fot the Tone Clone I think you need some cutting edge there, something sharp is missing from your clip. But still it´s very well done as there is no good audio from Marcos playing alone. Just some lessons where tone is not so good.

I think it´s the best Sfogli preset I have tried so far, thank you so much for sharing!
Fot the Tone Clone I think you need some cutting edge there, something sharp is missing from your clip. But still it´s very well done as there is no good audio from Marcos playing alone. Just some lessons where tone is not so good.

Thank you very much! =) I'm accepting tone requests haha
You're right, I felt that too, but there's no stem from his tone (actually, I've even asked if someone have it haha) and his DV Mark tones are terrible.. hahaha
It might be from the mastering too, so there's no way to be sure about that..

btw, maybe you could make topic for Sfogli preset and clip. Some people may like it but don´t read JP thread...

I was thinking about it.. but isn't it going to be too much of a spam from me?
I'm afraid the guys on the forum won't like to see lots of threads from me in a short period of time..

Listen to the low end on those different JP guitars. Do some palm mutes and compare. That's where you'll see clear differences. D-Sonic and everything after that has a super tight low end. IMO the D-Sonic was the best pickup... I actually sold all other JP guitars when I got this BFR with D-Sonics and the roasted maple neck. :)

I agree on the D-Sonic, that's why the brand new Carvin DC600C I just received has one in the bridge (and of course an Air Norton in the neck): :mrgreen

103_3137_zps58cc9b37.jpg

You do realize this preset... Axe-Change - Download Preset - Mark V Lead - by Marco Sfogli is THE preset Marco himself used on his album reMarcoble? Marco used the Axe FX II for the majority of all guitar tones on his latest album.

Per Marco himself... "This is my main lead tone. Modeled after a Boogie Mark V this one was used 95% on reMarcoble"

You do realize this preset... Axe-Change - Download Preset - Mark V Lead - by Marco Sfogli is THE preset Marco himself used on his album reMarcoble? Marco used the Axe FX II for the majority of all guitar tones on his latest album.

Per Marco himself... "This is my main lead tone. Modeled after a Boogie Mark V this one was used 95% on reMarcoble"

Honestly I liked mine way better than Marco's preset.. maybe because of the firmware updates.. his preset's low end is flubby as hell and didn't translate anywhere near the album's tone..

Last edited:
Honestly I liked mine way better than Marco's preset.. maybe because of the firmware updates.. his preset's low end is flubby as hell and didn't translate anywhere near the album's tone..

Just pointing out that if he was after an authentic Marco tone that Marco actually did use the Axe FX II on his album and even released the preset he used for almost everything. Not taking anything away from your work Vitor.

Tried the Sfogli preset real quick. It's nice, very much like the original. More so than Marcus own from fw9 in some weird way? (Yeah I tried it back then) I felt he had too much gain, but I realise I don't have the same guitar or pups, so...

Vitor's is really close but I need to shapen up the tone for my guitar. I have a mid heavy pickup (Anderson HN3), and i need a tiny bit more articulation and clarity for this pup. But that's more of a personal preference than anything else.

Great job anyhow! ! :)

There's a reason for you to like the LF..
It's because it actually IS the "Custom" DiMarzio Neck pickup in the early JP6 model, like mine. =)

My early JP6 has the "custom" Dimarzios, the bridge both magnets is poles and not rail + poles.
Anyway, I got an Ibanez with a CL/LF combo and the neck over the Ibanez is much more full and fat than the one on the JP.
However on cleans with split they both shine.
Regarding the bridge, for sure the CL is more aggressive than the original Dimarzio I got on the JP.

Just pointing out that if he was after an authentic Marco tone that Marco actually did use the Axe FX II on his album and even released the preset he used for almost everything. Not taking anything away from your work Vitor.

Correct, but Vitor was trying to cop Marco's tone from this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7YIWOSBX_U), where he was playing through a Mesa Mark V combo, not the Axe2. I, and I'm assuming Vitor, prefer this tone to what's on the album.

IMHO, Sfogli's best lead tone is on the song Andromeda from his first album. Don't be fooled by the Mesa Lone Star sitting on top of the rack behind Marco in this video, he's actually playing through a Mesa Studio Preamp/2:90 power amp that's in the rack. He only used this setup for the lead tone on this song and opted for various guitar software plugins for the rest of the album (he did however use the Studio Pre/2:90 for many, if not all, of the albums rhythm parts). Why he chose to use the plugins instead the Studio Pre/2:90, I'll never understand. This is not only my favorite of Marco's, it's is my favorite lead tone of all time. To me, this is absolute perfection:

Thanks for the patches Vitor. Haven't tried them yet because I had to wait till "pay day" before I could purchase Cab Pack 7. :razz Will hopefully give them a run-through tonight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom