ToneClone - John Petrucci #1 (fw17.00 + Cab Pack 7)

Leave it to me ;)
I'm working on it too hahaha
Seriously, if you talk JP, you talk with me! HAHAHA Best slogan EVER!

Ha ha! You're the man! Looks like I'll be talking to you from now on! Look forward to what you come up with. Awesome work already. These impulses are really helping our search nailing JPs tones.

Agreed. I'd love to hear someone's take on his rhythm tone. My favorite rhythm tone of all time.

BTW... I'm loving this thread. Tones sound phenomenal as does the playing. These are all the songs I play to and have presets for as well so I'm looking forward to checking them out.

I have a suggestion... Can anyone attempt to nail JP's solo tone on Suspended Animation? I've had horrible luck attempting to emulate it with the Axe. I believe John used the Roadking (recto) on that album and used the orange channel in vintage mode. Nothing in the Axe seems to nail it. I can't seem to get enough gain without upping the input trim which I hate touching.

I would strongly suggest using Alloy SM57-MD421 01 or 04 for... "Animated Suspension" tones. Those curves are almost identical to... "Chops Of Life". The thing with those Recto tones are that they're extremely dry and that's why the sound so amazing. So they might feel a bit stiff but sound amazing!

I would strongly suggest using Alloy SM57-MD421 01 or 04 for... "Animated Suspension" tones. Those curves are almost identical to... "Chops Of Life". The thing with those Recto tones are that they're extremely dry and that's why the sound so amazing. So they might feel a bit stiff but sound amazing!

The Alloy SM57-MD421 01 has become my go to impulse. Too bad Cliff also agrees, it appears that impulse has been added to the axe for everyone.

The Alloy SM57-MD421 01 has become my go to impulse. Too bad Cliff also agrees, it appears that impulse has been added to the axe for everyone.

It's got the first place in that folder for a reason. ;) The stock IRs are SM57-R121 03 and E906-MD421 08 IIRC so there's actually no SM57-MD421 IRs unless you purchase the actual Cab Pack.

It's got the first place in that folder for a reason. ;) The stock IRs are SM57-R121 03 and E906-MD421 08 IIRC so there's actually no SM57-MD421 IRs unless you purchase the actual Cab Pack.

Really? That first impulse of yours in the Axe sounds really close to the SM57-MD421 01 then. I thought it was the the SM57-MD421 when switching back and forth. Now I feel a little more special then. ;) Thanks Clark.

We're working on it. No promises, but hopefully the results will be beneficial to the community.

Sent from Moto X

Exactaly! Maybe we release a Preset Pack via Fractal.. .. .. hahahaha I don't think so..
Anyone interested in helping me, just send a PM..

And actually, I need someone who owns a EBMM JP BFR (loaded with DiMarzio CrunchLab and Liquifire - piezo is optional).. anyone?

Haha :)
It may happen... After more than 4 years work and free stuff like Clark Kent did :)
Or was it more than 5 years Clark?

It was 5. :)

There are problems with presets as products though.

1) Presets never really sound the same for other people since there are changing variables. If people use a different guitar and pick in a different way or even have different pickups or string gauges it's going to sound different when they're playing with those presets.

2) Firmware updates change how the presets sound. My Cab Pack 7 included 6 presets that nailed exactly some tones from a bearded muscle man. Let's call him Chuck Norris. (you need a person's approval to use his/her name in a product... Chuck is a close friend of mine) But now that those amps that I used have changed the presets don't sound exactly like I intended them to. They're still awesome presets but I fine tuned them to be "perfect" if you're using an EBMM JP6 and FW16. And bare in mind that I didn't use any match EQ or tone matching or any other "cheats" to get those tones nailed. Just the amp block and cab block. I did use match EQ to measure how much off I was until I got a pretty flat line and then turned it off. Here's a video showing samples:

3) If there's tone matching involved you need to do the tone matching again after every firmware release that affected the amps. So... that's a lot of work especially if you have many presets.

I don't mean to put you down in any way but instead inform you that it's not as simple as it may seem. :) But sure if you find customers that are willing to pay for the presets you should definitely go for it! It sure is a dream come true for me. Everyone who has the newest firmware has two of my IRs in their unit. And... most likely those IRs are some of the best IRs in their unit. :) Is self-pride same as being a dick?

However I do think you should post the presets to AxeChange and start building up followers and you may definitely get paid doing this some day. :)

Back
Top Bottom