Tone woes, is this possible... Poor electric current impacts sound

bke

Inspired
Got an xl last week. Had a mk1 but sold it some time back. As soon as I got it, updated to fw18 beta, didn't like the sound at all. Lots of high end content, lacking bass almost like the cab block wasn't fully engaged (but it was in global settings etc). Went back to 17.04. Sounded better but still not digging it through my clr, sounded better through matrix power amp in 2x12. After reading posts here with people having problems, tried 18 again, Same result. Tried several times, same result. Checked all cables tried different cables same result.

Am still in the trial period so was starting to think either something is wrong or this isn't for me.

Then tried moving to axe to a different plug and reinstalling firmware(was sharing a bank with a couple other devices) my ears are shot at this stage but sounded much better, not as think easier to dial in etc. I had recorded 17, 18 in a track to compare but stupidly forgot to save it!! Otherwise would included in the post.

Anyway, is it possible that a poor quality electricity flow through the plug bank it was in would cause this type of problem, there were no crackles/pops (Guess as I'm typing I've concluded that it is, would appreciate anyone insight opinion!)

Going to try in the morning with fresh ears to make sure they aren't playing tricks on me!

Ah, hadn't meant to put this into the exchange section, if a mod sees this could they move it to the discussion sections.

Cheers.

Yes, ime, dirty power can cause problems with some gear. I use a couple of different things to clean it up. An old PSAUDIO quintet (hard to find and a little pricey) and I'm trying a Furman PLPLUS DMC now. I haven't noticed any problems with the Furman, but I haven't really had the chance to use it yet. BUT I haven't done any tests to see if the axe itself is prone to audio quality issues from power line noise. My experience has been with other audio and video devices.

Amazon.com: Furman PL-PLUS DMC Power Conditioner with Voltmeter / AMMeter: Electronics

Thanks for that, had thought getting power conditioner was overkill as I play pretty much at home these days, guess not! May see if I pick up one 2nd hand
Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom