Tone Vise locking nut - Amazing, Simple and Cheap

I hear alot about Floyd Rose terms not staying in tune. Most all my guitars have them. They are full floating and I never have any problem with them once the strings settle in. Always in tune and intimated. But, they are all German made real Floys Rose trems. I think that is the difference. The Licensened ones and the copies just don't cut it.
I've had the same experience with the Ibanez Edge trem system on an Ibanez JS model. Rock solid, stays in tune for months- The guitar doesn't get much playing time anymore but is in tune every time I pull it out of the case to apologize.

Completely agree with you on that unix-guy. Ibanez Edge term systems are top notch and well designed for long lasting consistent use. Floyde Rose is like the un-polished turd. Matter of fact the ESP I just bought with a FR the damn high E slot the saddle lock screw goes through was machined/ punch out bad and doesn't allow travel up and down when using the fine tuner screw. Was binding up big time. The two options were file the slot open and jack up the chrome or grind the diameter of the string lock screw. Ground the lock screw. :mad:

Ibanez bridges in general are smartly engineered. I have a newer Ibanez Tight End bridge on a Warmoth build and it is well designed, comfortable, and sexy.

As far as Tone Vice, I have the Pitch Shifter installed on all my Floyd guitars (except my Kahler). I like them a lot better than the D-Tuna. A smart and efficient design.

Ibanez bridges in general are smartly engineered. I have a newer Ibanez Tight End bridge on a Warmoth build and it is well designed, comfortable, and sexy.

As far as Tone Vice, I have the Pitch Shifter installed on all my Floyd guitars (except my Kahler). I like them a lot better than the D-Tuna. A smart and efficient design.
Like to see a picture of your bridge set up.

A picture of the drop tuner is in post #39. A picture of the bride from what angle? Top side it just looks like standard FR. From the bottom only difference is the 6 piezo wires coming out.

Mine are all German and always have issues here and there.
my 1980’s German Floyd rose trems are flawless, but even my best new genuine German Floyd rose is cheap in comparison.
fine tuners are rough for starters, which really irritates me, especially since it’s brand new. The old 1987 tuners are smooth as silk, even after all these years

Yeah I recently bought an ESP with supposed genuine Floyde Rose. The high E slot the string lock bolt goes through wasn't cut properly. Opening wasn't wide enough for the lock bolt to travel up and down for the fine tuner. Had to take the lock bolt and grind it thinner so it wouldn't bind. Always something with a Floyde Rose. Cracked saddle, split lock block, loose saddle position lock screw, them arm rattle on and on. LOL o_O

Yeah I recently bought an ESP with supposed genuine Floyde Rose. The high E slot the string lock bolt goes through wasn't cut properly. Opening wasn't wide enough for the lock bolt to travel up and down for the fine tuner. Had to take the lock bolt and grind it thinner so it wouldn't bind. Always something with a Floyde Rose. Cracked saddle, split lock block, loose saddle position lock screw, them arm rattle on and on. LOL o_O
I’m spoiled by the Ibanez Edge, I guess.

I've got about 20 guitars with then and have never had any of those issues :)

I don't understand why the Kahler Flip Nut design wasn't more popular? No tools needed at all. This one is behind the nut, but no reason it couldn't be designed with a nut.

dcqa7vpvxyb7das4sy9y.jpg

Found one listed here...
https://reverb.com/item/21688124-vintage-kahler-locking-flip-nut-chrome-ships-free
I had a Carvin guitar with one of the Kahler systems on it in the 80s/90s. That trem worked great, and the locking system was totally trouble free. I've no idea why they weren't more popular.

I had a Carvin guitar with one of the Kahler systems on it in the 80s/90s. That trem worked great, and the locking system was totally trouble free. I've no idea why they weren't more popular.
I also have a Carvin with a kahler and it’s great for subtle chord vibrato, and requires very little force to use. You just can’t jump two whole tones, dive or flutter. The biggest issue with the kahler is the loss of sustain while diving down even just one whole tone. The rollers stop the strings from vibrating.

Ya
I’m spoiled by the Ibanez Edge, I guess.

I've got about 20 guitars with then and have never had any of those issues :)
the ibanez edge is the closest in quality to the original Floyd. The new German Originals aren’t as good as the licensed edge. Really sad, they can’t even machine the fine tuner threads properly.

My 33 year old Floyd is like brand new other than the chrome I wore off. The new German Floyd looks like a million bucks, but a few twists of the tuners paint a different picture. I’ve never bought anything from Germany that wasn’t absolute precision. Don’t get it.

And Tone Vise Pitch tune will not work on the new original Floyd

Attachments

• F85ECC1D-C16F-43C4-BF38-9FA258177E05.jpeg
    F85ECC1D-C16F-43C4-BF38-9FA258177E05.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
Ya
the ibanez edge is the closest in quality to the original Floyd. The new German Originals aren’t as good as the licensed edge. Really sad, they can’t even machine the fine tuner threads properly.

My 33 year old Floyd is like brand new other than the chrome I wore off. The new German Floyd looks like a million bucks, but a few twists of the tuners paint a different picture. I’ve never bought anything from Germany that wasn’t absolute precision. Don’t get it.

And Tone Vise Pitch tune will not work on the new original Floyd
I'd probably go with the Gotoh licensed version. They made (still make?) the original Edge trems.

Last edited:
T
That Pitch Tune will not work on an original new Floyd Rose. Only works on the Edge. I’m stuck with parts I cannot use
I have the Tone Vice Pitch Shifter installed and working great on three Floyd trems; one Schaller from the 90s and two Floyd Originals, both purchased within the last few years.

Back
Top Bottom