Tone Triangles

Decimator

Inspired
Hi forum. I have been experimenting with different picks and it's incredible just how much the tone can change with the different materials used in the picks we use.
I would say that the choice of pick is as important to sound as my choice of guitar or strings or cabinets.
I find myself leaning towards brighter sounding picks for most songs. I have a couple of metal picks which I find a good combination of brightness with just enough warmth.

What are you guys using?

Decimator

Attachments

• 1553533606946-195886356.jpg
    1553533606946-195886356.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 26
You are almost literally nit picking right now.
Pick something that feels most comfortable to play with and let your technique do the rest.
I definitely use different technique's with different picks and thickness's but I find such a huge different in sounds especially on high gain patches. I find especially for recording where things can get almost muddy if I use a pic made out of softer plastics.
I guess I am surprised whenever an artist says they use only "such and such" gauge picks or only use "Dunlop's tortex"

If you have attention to detail you know what the pick does along with the fingers. I have many different types of picks I use.

I tried to use something different, but I learned how to play using either Fender Thin or Medium standard celluloid plectrums. I've been using those for 40 years (damn I'm old) and if I use anything else my "auto pilot" no longer works. It is what it is.

Not a day goes by, when I don't have all these in my front pocket. They range from ultra-thin to really thick, w/ different plastics, and– as in the case w/ the John Pearse picks– a choice of 3 different picking points. Everyone finds use somewhere, on some gig, on some guitar, on some tune.
Finding and using the right pick is absolutely the most important thing I've found for dialing in the "perfect tone for the tune".

Attachments

• GuitarPicks#1.JPG
    GuitarPicks#1.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 18
The material most definitely makes a tonal difference to me. On electric guitars, I've been using stainless steel picks for 30+ years. (Don't know the gauge, but they have zero flex.) They start as a standard "Fender" shaped Dunlop, but I grind them a bit smaller/rounder and polish the edges.

For acoustic, I use the extra heavy Dunlop plastic pick on the left.

Steel%20Pick%201%20-%20800.jpg

Last edited:
I mostly use Blue Chip. Sometimes I use Gravity Gold. I have tried every type of pick imaginable. I’ve settled on the blue chips or the gravity gold. Best pics I ever played.

I've been using the Dunlop tortex jazz 1mm picks for many years. I buy them in bulk... I've used others in the past including the black and red Dunlop jazz picks and 3mm Stubbies.

However, about a year ago, the other guitarist in my band gave me a pick to try that he got from his teacher.

I was pretty impressed and Kelly going back and comparing to my usual... And I finally decided I liked the new one better. Been using them ever since.

Dunlop John Petrucci jazz pick.

You are almost literally nit picking right now.
Pick something that feels most comfortable to play with and let your technique do the rest.
Why is it nit picking? Pick material makes a huge difference in tone and thickness can hinder or enhance improvement in technique. Yes, choose something comfortable and play but without experimentation and discussion, discovery has little chance of happening.
Hi forum. I have been experimenting with different picks and it's incredible just how much the tone can change with the different materials used in the picks we use.
I would say that the choice of pick is as important to sound as my choice of guitar or strings or cabinets.
I find myself leaning towards brighter sounding picks for most songs. I have a couple of metal picks which I find a good combination of brightness with just enough warmth.

What are you guys using?

Decimator
If you like bright sounding picks, try the Dunlop John Petrucci. Used them for a couple of years but found the pick attack too "clicky". Went on a pick search and after going ahead and seeing what all the hubbub was about with "boutique" picks found the perfect pick for me; Chickenpicks Shredder. 3.5mm and a tad smaller than the traditional pick. Never in a million years did I think that I would use anything other than the Dunlop Tortex .88 (black of course) but first it was the Petrucci's, then Planet Waves Black Ice 1.5mm and then the Chickenpicks. Simply wow, it's mind boggling how comfortable they are!

I have a bunch lying around but for most of my time playing guitar I've used Dunlop 3mm Jazz Small Stubby picks, they always seemed to make playing easier especially when early on in learning guitar, I think it's the inflexibility coupled with the tidier shape. I just wish they made them in different materials as the Lexan they use tends to get slippery.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom