Tone Talk - Rectifier and Soldano

Interesting to hear this addressed. Wasn't the SLO somewhat inspired by the Boogie MKII though?

The SLO/Recto thing is mentioned in yek's amp guide here too
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractal-audio-amp-models-solo-100-soldano-slo-100.114877/

I'm sure Mike would be happy to know that a real SLO was pulled apart to make the Fractal model too.

Pretty hilarious that the Dave's main problem with modelling is that it doesn't look/smell cool :p

There's a vicious thread at TGP about it so I'm not taking any sides haha but the gist I got was its not an exact copy of the Mk II but more based on that and a hot rodded marshall. Where as the early rectifiers had an exact copy of the SLO preamp. Again just my perception. Found it very interesting though.

The main issue
Seems to be centred around the use of the 39k resistor at a certain point in the circuit
The reason is that it was so uncommon and so far off what should have been used that it would be impossible for Mesa to just choose to use it randomly

Pretty hilarious that the Dave's main problem with modelling is that it doesn't look/smell cool :p

Haha while I agree tube amps do look and smell cool, I also agree those aren't reasons to dismiss modeling. I've watched/listened to nearly all episodes. I think his answers depend a lot on how much he's drank. :) I love'm for that.

Cliff should get on there and a have a few drinks with'm. That'd be the YouTube event of the decade!

Oh also wanted to add... my impression from these episodes is that none of those guys (Dave, Sol, Shur, Eggy etc) have not dove far into the modeling world from a curiosity stand point. My impression is that they've relied on a lot of hear-say. With the exception of John Suhr who said he did own one of the other modelers. Was it the line 6? I can't recall. If I were them I'd want to see for myself what all the fuss was about.

Some interesting discussions. I completely understand why they'd not be very hot on modelers as they build and sell tube amps. However, it saddens me that they (like far too many people in today's society on variety of issues) state that they haven't tried the axefx, yet then go on to make false statements about it.

I believe the Friedman and Suhr models in the Axe II were made with the participation and/or permission of the respective companies, allowing them to have the correct name and not some generic or suggestive name like with the Marshall, Boogie, Fender, etc. amp models.

This is old news regarding the preamp circuit being copied. But, I understand why they called it out. I can also understand to an extent why these amp designers haven't embraced modellers and the like. Either way, it has no bearing on what I use.....If it sounds good to you, it is good for you.

Many Friedman, Soldano, Bogner, etc. amps are largely modded Marshall amps. Many Marshall amps are basically modded Fender Bassmans. Early Fenders are based on stock tube manual designs and his days of repairing tube radios. Totally new ideas are few and far between. Everyone builds on the success of those before them.

Many Friedman, Soldano, Bogner, etc. amps are largely modded Marshall amps. Many Marshall amps are basically modded Fender Bassmans. Early Fenders are based on stock tube manual designs and his days of repairing tube radios. Totally new ideas are few and far between. Everyone builds on the success of those before them.
+1. Every tube circuit was designed 80 years ago.

Dave fully acknowledges this in the vid. He says that he and others hot rodded existing circuits but did not invent them.

The issue is the Rect preamp is for all intents and purposes a direct copy of the SLO preamp. Including all the variations that Mike designed.

I've heard that the Boogie Mark II preamp design has elements lifted from Dumble, but I've not seen Dumble schematics to compare. It does seem to deviate from the Mark I design a bit. I know the Boogie tone stack is exactly the same as a blackface Fender. They supposedly even used Fender transformers for a few years before getting their own source. The whole Simul-Class thing is supposedly based on the output transformer of the 135 watt CBS Twin Reverb by using the extra primary taps for the plates of two of the power tubes instead of the screens like on the ultralinear Twin. Ironically, Randall Smith does like his patents though. He's quick to get papers on anything he considers his own. Original or rip-off, they do make great sounding amps that are built to last.

Back
Top Bottom