Tone Party, give your thoughts! Share your tips!

Emil

Hi!

Got my Axe Fx about a month ago so i'm new here and the Axe is a totally new thing for me. The digital world has been a very no no for me, then i met Tom Quayle and he showed me the Axe.. couldn't belive my ears. It became a yes yes!

However i'd like to share some footage/recordings of me playing it for some feedback and just comments! I'm trying to upload as much as i can! :lol

As you will hear in this video, you can really tell i'm into this fusion/rock/legato thing, reaaaallly love it. So please share your thoughts about sound etc. and if you have similar recordings please share them too!! I'm a country-nut too but having a hard time dial in great twangtones, but i guess with some more tone dialing hours, i'll be there!

Then i would like your tips and tricks. Right now i'm going thru some hifi-monitors, the axe sounds great thru them and i can have some really great tones. BUT! never been using it live yet so i don't know how it will sound in a PA system. the bad thing in this is that i have some reaallly great IEMs, Shure 535. they're lovely. unfortunatley my presets sounds like crap in them!

So my question is, what do you use home, to get the same good results live? FRFR, Monitors? Poweramp and cab?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zsJz7MnOAM&list=UUFxttRJr_U7NnJ-0sddb5eQ

Cheers!!

/Emil

First of all... man... i love your legato-jazzy-thingy!!! :encouragement: (and another your video... Jamiroquai?)
Ok now to your question!
As you can see there is a big difference in the sound of your hi-fi monitors and your IEM (but... don't trash them!!!)
This means that you need different settings in the output for different "media" to get a good translation of the tone of the Axe (this is also why the Axe have 2 output on board!)
What you are earing from your hi-fi... is what i call "the recording life" of the Axe.. that - trust me - is a really no go for a live/stage experience!!! If you put that tone in a mixer board of a PA you'll be very disappointed!
But this is only the 50% of the power of THe BEAST!!!
The other 50% is the ON STAGE SOUND!
In a nutshell: you must tweack your tone for the specific media you use and at the volume you will use the Axe!
Are you recording with your IEM... well you must put the jack into your soundcard (not into the Axe) and tweack the soud
Are you practicing at midnight... ok... tweack a tone for your IEM and listen it through the headphone of the Axe
Are you recording/post-producing your tone using the Hi-Fi - not a good idea indeed!.... get a good pair of studio monitor.... Adam... KRK VXT8 (mine! the Axe need a big cone and power!) - so fine tune your tone for that system!
And now... last but not least... your live sound: you NEED a PA and tweack your tone as loud as you will play on stage!
just another thing: if you play with another guitarman that have a real amp and/or go mono... so you MUST go mono too with the Axe! Coz the tone of your buddy will be more "focused" if you'll go stereo and you will need more and more volume to be to that level!!!
Thats my 50cents!

First of all... man... i love your legato-jazzy-thingy!!! :encouragement: (and another your video... Jamiroquai?)
Ok now to your question!
As you can see there is a big difference in the sound of your hi-fi monitors and your IEM (but... don't trash them!!!)
This means that you need different settings in the output for different "media" to get a good translation of the tone of the Axe (this is also why the Axe have 2 output on board!)
What you are earing from your hi-fi... is what i call "the recording life" of the Axe.. that - trust me - is a really no go for a live/stage experience!!! If you put that tone in a mixer board of a PA you'll be very disappointed!
But this is only the 50% of the power of THe BEAST!!!
The other 50% is the ON STAGE SOUND!
In a nutshell: you must tweack your tone for the specific media you use and at the volume you will use the Axe!
Are you recording with your IEM... well you must put the jack into your soundcard (not into the Axe) and tweack the soud
Are you practicing at midnight... ok... tweack a tone for your IEM and listen it through the headphone of the Axe
Are you recording/post-producing your tone using the Hi-Fi - not a good idea indeed!.... get a good pair of studio monitor.... Adam... KRK VXT8 (mine! the Axe need a big cone and power!) - so fine tune your tone for that system!
And now... last but not least... your live sound: you NEED a PA and tweack your tone as loud as you will play on stage!
just another thing: if you play with another guitarman that have a real amp and/or go mono... so you MUST go mono too with the Axe! Coz the tone of your buddy will be more "focused" if you'll go stereo and you will need more and more volume to be to that level!!!
Thats my 50cents!

Thanks a lot for your input!! There's a lot of decisions to make, either i but i pair of good studio monitors or a matrix gt1000fx with a cab! hard to decide..

Back
Top Bottom