Tone osilating while playing any patch

Pinthar

Greetings, I finally got AX8 set up perfectly except one small problem. You know how you turn the tone knob on your guitar and the tone changes from bright and clear to dampened and muddy...well, my AX8 is not doing the same thing on all of my patches. It's in a never ending tone roll from bright to muddy. Like someone is using my tone knob and changing it back and forth at a slow osillation. Bright to muddy, to bright, back to muddy and so on...I have reset the system perameters to no avail.

After much troubleshooting, I found out that my S/PDIF is sending midi data and turning on the wah effect, even though the wah isn't inserted as a block. This happenes only when I have the SPDIF armed as a separate stereo input and also two inputs for left and right armed respectively. If I arm the SPDID channel all by itself, I dont have the problem. similarly, if I arm the left and right channels all by themselves, I also don't have the problem. Its only when I have all three channels (SPDIF, L,R) armed that the AX8 goes crazy.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why this is happeneing?

Last edited:
You are saying that it happens in all your patches. Does it happens with a factory patch?
What happens if you bypass all the effect blocks?

You are saying that it happens in all your patches. Does it happens with a factory patch?
What happens if you bypass all the effect blocks?

Yes, it happens with all my patches. I don't have factory patches anymore, I deleted them long ago. But, the problem is still existing and its the SPDIF output thats causing it. I'm sure of it. I added another stereo input channel and deleted the SPDIF channel in my DAW and all is good. So I don't know why the PSDIF channel is causing the problems.

And also there are two known issues that arrises:

1. The SPDIF is turning on the wah effect globally, meaning, even if there isn't a wah block, it's still turning on. This happens for all patches.

2. In addition to the wah being activated, there is also a global tone fluctuation from treble to bass. It starts when the wah effect turns on...and that happens only when running the SPDIF channel in conjunction with the left and right channels...uhg.

So, it only happens through the SPDIF output, not through the Analog Outputs?
Are you setting the soundcard at 48 kHz? Is the clock source set at the AX8 or at the soundcard (master/slave)?
Do you have another device with SPDIF input (configurable to 48kHz)? eg: the TV. To verify if it also happens there

Yeah, only through the SPDIF. Yeah, all sounds set to 48000. Clock is set at the interface software. AX8 is slave. SPDIF cable is brand new and studio quality.

That seems to be correct. I hope that some FAS expert chimes in.
Otherwise, you may contact Tech Support:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/getting-help/

Yeah, This is what Matt from Fractal said:

"I don't think it's a wah you're hearing... I think you have input monitoring engaged on one or more tracks (especially the SPDIF), resulting in an effect like flanging when they overlap. I don't use Reaper, but this should be easy enough for you to look into.

Let us know,

How do I respond to this? I might have to make a video of the problem. It's definately not the input monitoring. I mean, how else can I listen to what I am recording unless I have input monitoring turned on???

What I hear is the same as if I press on my wah pedal. The tone gets thin and scratchy. It's the same...Plus add the tone oscilations...crazy.

Clock is set at the interface software. AX8 is slave.

The AX8 can't be slaved to another clock source. If you're using the SPDIF output, set downstream device (interface) to use SPDIF as clock source.

A flanger type of sound isn't surprising when monitoring analog & SPDIF simultaneously with no sync. Even with interface synced to AX8, you shouldn't monitor the same signal from both sources. You can record both if you want to for some reason, but just monitor one of them.

Ceiling fan ?

I had my fan cranked once and couldn’t figure out the warbling tremolo effect I was hearing from my monitors but it was the fan blown air physically affecting the sound.... really weird, but it happens

Ceiling fan ?

I had my fan cranked once and couldn’t figure out the warbling tremolo effect I was hearing from my monitors but it was the fan blown air physically affecting the sound.... really weird, but it happens
Haha, that was my first thought, I had that happen one time and it was a trip, took me a few minutes to figure it out but sure enough it was the monitor pointed up at the ceiling fan and the reflections off the rotating fan blades made it sound like a vibrato type effect in the background.

Thanks everyone. The ceiling fan problem was funny. You guys are great. Yeah, turned off the input monitoring for the SPDIF track and all is great. I just set up another stereo track to monitor instead of the SPDIF. The problem now is how to record a clean SPDIF channel bypassing all the effects, while recording the other channels with effects...

Back
Top Bottom