Wish Tone Matching

prsaxeman

Yes, before anyone goes off on one, I know it's an AxeFXII feature which uses amp modelling to help achieve the tone, but I'm really surprised how few people have asked for a tone matching capability. It can take hours of tweaking to get certain sound effects or tones, and taking, for example, an effect like Glass Castles (preset G2 on the FX8) which is probably my favourite effect of all the presets, had this not been a preset I would never in a million years have been able to achieve a sound like that without an FX exchange website.

A lot of the wish list items are very specific to individuals' needs; it would be nice to see something generic like the tone match capability which would benefit everybody, and it would certainly save folks like me a shed load of time in getting 'that' sound, or pretty close to it anyway.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Last edited:
You might want to read over the Tone Match manual - http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx-II-Tone-Match-Manual.pdf

As others have mentioned, Tone Match could be useful for some esoteric utilities such as acoustic IRs, or matching the drive blocks to a real world pedal. It doesn't work with effects (chorus, phase, delay, verb, etc), and it only provides improvements on a tone that already behaves similar to the desired tone. It's also been mentioned that the most important element of Tone Matching is first capturing a Cab IR of the cab in the original tone - so you'd need a cab block as well.

It won't make your Fender DR sound like a roaring JCM800. It could make your Fender Vibroverb sound like SRV's Vibroverb, but doesn't it make more sense to dial in that tone on your amp (esp. on a product designed specifically for guys who don't want amp/cab modeling)?

Now, for effects matching and finding "THAT" effect, the upcoming block support for Axechange will be very helpful.

You might want to read over the Tone Match manual - http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx-II-Tone-Match-Manual.pdf

As others have mentioned, Tone Match could be useful for some esoteric utilities such as acoustic IRs, or matching the drive blocks to a real world pedal. It doesn't work with effects (chorus, phase, delay, verb, etc), and it only provides improvements on a tone that already behaves similar to the desired tone. It's also been mentioned that the most important element of Tone Matching is first capturing a Cab IR of the cab in the original tone - so you'd need a cab block as well.

It won't make your Fender DR sound like a roaring JCM800. It could make your Fender Vibroverb sound like SRV's Vibroverb, but doesn't it make more sense to dial in that tone on your amp (esp. on a product designed specifically for guys who don't want amp/cab modeling)?

Now, for effects matching and finding "THAT" effect, the upcoming block support for Axechange will be very helpful.

Phil, many thanks for the response, I'll check out your link. It would just be great to get somewhere near a tone/sound which otherwise would be/is difficult to find/dial up.

Back
Top Bottom