Tone matching tip thread

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
Thought that it would be a good idea to share some successful discoveries with one another in a combined thread.

I'm getting ready to do some right now and decided to use a track from soundcloud. Now since its not a downloadable one I could try recording it with my interface as it plays, but even easier is to just set the default windows playback device to the AxeFXII. Simple enough, right click on the speaker, select playback devices, highlight the AxeFXII and then hit set as default on the bottom. But something that isn't quite as obvious is to go into the properties, advanced tab and make sure that it's set to 48kHz, 24-bit. It is usually not like this by default. May not seem like a big deal, but by making sure that we are feeding the AxeFXII the right sample rate and more importantly the bit depth can only be a good thing IMHO.

Next would be to make sure that the levels are good. Go into the utility menu of the AxeFXII and page over the status tab. Main thing here is to look for at least 75% deflection (IMHO) and no clipping. Adjust the level at whatever application you are playing out of be it a DAW or a program.

If you are trying to use a youtube clip as your reference don't use the default low resolution because it not only reduces the video signal it compresses the audio signal more. Its not always available, but if you can select 720 it will kick into HD mode. Anything higher isn't necessary and sometimes 480 will improve the sound as well. 360 and lower though is a lot lower quality.

Of course make sure that the clip is playing before you hit capture and continuing before you hit stop, you don't want any silence in there at all. Also longer is not always better, I can't remember exactly what was written in the guide, but I've had better results staying below 10 seconds than going over most of the time.

These are just off the top of my head, please contribute your discoveries so that we can make this easier for everyone.

Thanks Shasha. Just one small correction: Silence is not an issue. The IR will start forming when the sound starts.

Back
Top Bottom