Tone Matching the Internal Cab

You shouldn't be getting much difference using the various techniques. The whole key is to capture BOTH the reference and user spectra SIMULTANEOUSLY. Don't capture one then the other. Start both by pressing X and then Y immediately after. Stop and acquire by pressing Enter.

That said, if you do not have the gain the same between the model and the amp you will get different results, especially when using noise signals. You need to refine the gain by switching between the amp and the model. Technically the best way to match the gain is to use noise and vary it's level and compare the compression but that requires a spectrum analyzer..

After a few days thinking the conclusion would be: since the captures in each tone match were done simultaneously then each of the 4 TMA graphs I posted were accurate. With the attack and response of the amp I can see/hear that each of the 4 is accurate.

I downloaded RME's software based spectrum analyzer and found a few online that might be more helpful. Back to the lab!

wow very technical but interesting. bottom line it would be nice to have a amp blocks as TMs built into the preset, as this would do. Because ultimately the user IR's get shuffled, and I can never remember what goes with what!

That said, if you do not have the gain the same between the model and the amp you will get different results, especially when using noise signals. You need to refine the gain by switching between the amp and the model. Technically the best way to match the gain is to use noise and vary it's level and compare the compression but that requires a spectrum analyzer.

Cliff could the gain matching be automated inside the AxeFx II such that a spectrum analyzer would not be needed?

Richard

Automating setting the drive might violate Kemper's patent but displaying spectrum analysis of the source and DUT on the Axe would not. Automatically setting gain might not always be the best solution as there could be other parameters that solve an individual Tone Match issue better - it's still good to use your ears.

Using a DAW for the spectrum analysis gives you a nice big monitor and let's you refine with more detail, doing it yourself let's you test multiple signal sources and levels and you can even tweak to improve the results over the DUT.

I could see where the external analyzer would definitely have an advantage in display, options for sure.

Having a display in the TM block, similar to a tuner?, that shows when the gain and compression of the reference (DUT) and source (preset) are the same or close would be cool, in my opinion.

Richard

Sorry to bump this really old thread, but when I try to convert my cab to a tone match (to free up user IR space) using the video seed provided it sounds awful every time. Is there something I am missing here?

Back
Top Bottom