Tone Matching Strategies

Axe-Master
Tone Match is a fantastic feature but there's some misunderstanding about how and when to use it. In this video I outline several different ways to arrive at a satisfying tone match, including IR capture and "amp matching" with a load box.

Last edited:
Tone Match is a fantastic feature but there's some misunderstanding about how and when to use it. In this video I outline several different ways to arrive at a satisfying tone match, including IR capture and "amp matching" with a load box.

nice! thank you sir

Cool, thanks! Was wondering about some of these things, and the short bit about shooting the cab IR will get used as soon as I have a nice flat SS power amp to work with. I was surprised how quick it was to capture one. I guess the big time investment is in finding the sweet-spots and which mics you like.

I really want to shoot the Weber Grey Wolf AlNiCo in my VZA Simone cab, the Weber P12N AlNiCo in my '66 Deluxe Amp, and the Hartke full of Blue Pups, so that I can use them in the AxeFX III.

Will likely shoot it with my Sennheiser 609s close up and maybe use the Bluebird a couple inches farther back, to get a little "room" in there. Might have to buy a 160 and a 121, though, as those are my faves by far in the cab IRs I have in the Axe and from earlier, when I got some from RedWirez for use with their mixIR2 plugin.

Cool, thanks! Was wondering about some of these things, and the short bit about shooting the cab IR will get used as soon as I have a nice flat SS power amp to work with. I was surprised how quick it was to capture one. I guess the big time investment is in finding the sweet-spots and which mics you like.

I really want to shoot the Weber Grey Wolf AlNiCo in my VZA Simone cab, the Weber P12N AlNiCo in my '66 Deluxe Amp, and the Hartke full of Blue Pups, so that I can use them in the AxeFX III.

Will likely shoot it with my Sennheiser 609s close up and maybe use the Bluebird a couple inches farther back, to get a little "room" in there. Might have to buy a 160 and a 121, though, as those are my faves by far in the cab IRs I have in the Axe and from earlier, when I got some from RedWirez for use with their mixIR2 plugin.

Better yet, shoot each mic individually and them up in the 4 slots of the cab block so you can fine tune the mix in the box! If you don't want to break the bank on a ribbon, the Cascade Fat Head is a great alternative and it blends wonderfully with a 609.

Nice. Tone matching does not get enough love. Such a great feature.

None of that "cocked wah" midrange thing going on that something like a KPA adds either.

Better yet, shoot each mic individually and them up in the 4 slots of the cab block so you can fine tune the mix in the box! If you don't want to break the bank on a ribbon, the Cascade Fat Head is a great alternative and it blends wonderfully with a 609.
Will keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the tip!

I am thinking it may be time to put in patch panels between my 'office' and the garage, once the weather cools off, so I have a little isolation. A good starting point would be a ribbon mic 2" away at cap edge and a condensor about a foot away, given my IR choices, but will work with what I have....

So this video got me thinking. Is it possible to create an IR of a 1. A Kemper cab 2. A Kemper amp and cab and 3. Just the amp (like Leon’s amp match) or would I only be able to do a tone match? I have a few Kemper profiles that I really like and to get them over into the Axe would be awesome.

Great video. Any chance you could show us the process needed to tone match from a recording? Thanks!

So this video got me thinking. Is it possible to create an IR of a 1. A Kemper cab 2. A Kemper amp and cab and 3. Just the amp (like Leon’s amp match) or would I only be able to do a tone match? I have a few Kemper profiles that I really like and to get them over into the Axe would be awesome.

You can do any or either. The Tonematch becomes the IR so once you do a TM you would save the IR and bring it in as a "User" cabinet. If you just did the amp portion then you would place it after the amp and add a cabinet. If you did the amp and cabinet you would just bring in the Tonematch IR with no cabinet.

I was going to take the same journey with my amps and Kemper....(You could also profile your Axe) but I wasn't having the best of luck and decided to play with some knobs and see if I could "get there" without TM/Profiling. I found the Power amp hardness and fat switch along with the other ideal eq. settings could get what I was looking for. I plugged in my amp and Kemper and used them as a reference with an alternate input into the same cabinet. I then went back and forth adjusting the knobs I spoke of and the magic was there. Just an FYI, in case. I figured I should try some things before going through the TM process. If I could figure some things out and how they worked it might allow me more freedom than going through a bunch of TMatching sessions. I thought my amp presets were a little tight and not as bouncy before adjusting those variables. Close, but something was not "just right". After those small adjustments it was a game changer.

Thanks @bshaw92 I am sure I could get there matching by ear but sometimes I think I am there and the next day I am not sure what I was thinking! :D Figured I could do it more scientifically - I think I just need to give it a shot and see what I get. I have had a lot of success profiling my Axe but would prefer to go the other way as overall the Axe is just a lot more flexible.

Thanks @bshaw92 I am sure I could get there matching by ear but sometimes I think I am there and the next day I am not sure what I was thinking

I'm with you on this.

I've done my speaker cabinet with great success. I've had some hiccups with the Tonematch, but had high hopes just as you noted. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom