Tone Matching on III

skydog

Experienced
Asking for a pointer...
Is there a Tone Match mini manual for the III, or are there any tutorials? Seems straightforward, but I haven’t been able to get sound from the MacBook Pro into and through the AF-III. Assume USB will be best, but I’m stupid and easily confused. (I’m approaching the age, where all my stuff is going to be flashing “12:00”, with little I can do about it.) I never captured on my XL+, so I have no reference point. Thanks to all.

Update: I got it to work. Pretty good results. There are differences between the II and the III, so the need for at least an overview for clarification. Thanks due, to a YouTube video by Cooper Carter operating on an Axe FX II.

One more thing. Others have said it, and I’ll repeat it. Having only the III hardware to operate (versus a supporting software editor) is a great way to learn the system. After a few weeks with the III, I know much more about it than I did after four months with the XL+.

Sure. As soon as I get the worlds largest (sleeping) Labrador Retriever off my lap, I’ll make a numbered list of everything I did, what is different, what issues I encountered, etc. I’ll do it overnight.

As a teaser, I remembered a passage where Duane Allman is playing an interlude with the rest of the band silent. The resulting TMA sounds surprisingly great. I’m going to experiment with a very slight bit of high frequency reduction. It might be my imagination, but I think that I can hear the sizzle of Butch Trucks’ snare spring. No kidding.

To minimize any confusion, only my dog’s enormous snoring head is on my lap. The rest of her is taking up the remainder of the couch. My wife and I are tightly lodged against opposite sides.

I use it mainly for amp matching. Easy-peazy for that. Send Output 3 to the input of the amp being matched. Connect the mic preamp to any of the inputs and select that input as the Reference Source. Press "Start Both" and play for a bit. Press "Match". Done.
Can the Tone Match be based on stereo input pairs or is it mono?

I use it mainly for amp matching. Easy-peazy for that. Send Output 3 to the input of the amp being matched. Connect the mic preamp to any of the inputs and select that input as the Reference Source. Press "Start Both" and play for a bit. Press "Match". Done.
Thanks. So wow. That will be my next exercise. I haven’t tried to profile one of my amps yet with TMA. I’m not much of an expert with cab mic placement.

@FractalAudio is it possible to use a load box output back to an input as the Reference Source? Or do you need to mic the amp? I have a 1965 Fender Bandmaster that I would love to try this with. It is my pride and joy. I just don't want to wake the neighbors when I do it as I do most of my work late at night since I work at a power plant making electricity for these wonderful devices during the day.

@FractalAudio is it possible to use a load box output back to an input as the Reference Source? Or do you need to mic the amp? I have a 1965 Fender Bandmaster that I would love to try this with. It is my pride and joy. I just don't want to wake the neighbors when I do it as I do most of my work late at night since I work at a power plant making electricity for these wonderful devices during the day.
Yes of course you can use a load box. Depends on whether you want to match before or after the speaker.

If I understand your question...
The default Averaging Time on my II was 2.500. To equate to time, the II assumed a multiplication between four or five, with a product totaling 10 seconds. I don’t know the total possible time on the II. On the III, the default is 3.500. It can be increased up to 99.32 and then Peak Hold. With my experiment, I left everything at default values.

If I understand your question...
The default Averaging Time on my II was 2.500. To equate to time, the II assumed a multiplication between four or five, with a product totaling 10 seconds. I don’t know the total possible time on the II. On the III, the default is 3.500. It can be increased up to 99.32 and then Peak Hold. With my experiment, I left everything at default values.
No, the TMA block produces an internal IR applied to its input signal. On the II it's pretty short (1024 samples). So is it longer on the III ?

Here’s the description that I promised to send. It’s nothing definitive, mind you. I experimented with capturing the tone of a great recorded guitar.
1. I created a recorded segment in Logic Pro X.
2. I configured Logic Pro X to use the AF-III as its audio output device.
3. On the TMA Configure page, I set the Reference Source to USB 1/2.
4. Utilizing USB, I played-back and captured the recording into the AF-III, this became the Reference.
5. I captured my guitar, playing the same segment note-for note. I have no idea if this is necessary. I also used only an AMP block. This may not be the best approach. Maybe including a CAB block is better. That’s today’s experiment. Regardless, this became my Local.
6. I pushed “D” to Match.

It sounded better than I thought it would. I did not make any other variable adjustments, because I’m trying to first assess the difference between using
“AMP — TMA” versus “AMP — CAB — TMA”.

No, the TMA block produces an internal IR applied to its input signal. On the II it's pretty short (1024 samples). So is it longer on the III ?
I’m not qualified to answer. I’m just a guitar player. The quantity of samples is not noted in the Axe FX II Tone Match Manual, and there is nothing equivalent for the III published. Somebody with deeper knowledge of such things will need to clarify. IR are mysterious to me. I only know if they sound good.

Can I just tone match using a line out on a head? Im not tech savvy. I do however have a Rivera Knucklehead Tre that I would like to match and want to get the closest tone possible.

Hey Cliff @FractalAudio or Matt @Admin M@, I had a chance to check out the Axe Fx 3 during and an in-person session a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that Tone Match block in the Axe-Fx 3 didn't appear to have the 'Live' and 'Off-line' mode options? I know that they are designed for 2 different purposes, 'Live Amp Matching' and 'Tone (EQ) Matching. I use the 'Off-Line' mode the most, but I have used the 'Live' mode for 'Tone Matching' a few times successfully.

Which mode is the current Axe Fx 3 'Tone Match' block closest to? Will these 2 options be added? Are they unnecessary now?

I do a lot of tone matching and I should be receiving my Axe Fx 3 tomorrow, so I was curious how this will affect my workflow?

Hey Cliff @FractalAudio or Matt @Admin M@, I had a chance to check out the Axe Fx 3 during and an in-person session a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that Tone Match block in the Axe-Fx 3 didn't appear to have the 'Live' and 'Off-line' mode options? I know that they are designed for 2 different purposes, 'Live Amp Matching' and 'Tone (EQ) Matching. I use the 'Off-Line' mode the most, but I have used the 'Live' mode for 'Tone Matching' a few times successfully.

Which mode is the current Axe Fx 3 'Tone Match' block closest to? Will these 2 options be added? Are they unnecessary now?

I do a lot of tone matching and I should be receiving my Axe Fx 3 tomorrow, so I was curious how this will affect my workflow?
No longer required.

Back
Top Bottom