Tone Matching for Newbies

Fabio KTG

Fractal Fanatic
There's quite a lot of info on Tone Matching in the forum, but I find it to be here, there and everywhere. Not the kind of thing that you'd know what to look for if you're new to Tone Matching. I thought that i'd collate all of my findings into one handily thread, where it's all there for you.

The (M)OGG files that are available to download from Multitrack songs for download :D: Multitracks - 'A' (They need unzipping) allow you to achieve a really close tone match, instead of the highly compressed audio that you get from YouTube. Once I'd converted the OGG file into wav format, I could import it easily in Logic/Pro Tools etc, where I can use Ozone 5 to have a close look at the guitar tone frequency and export High Res Ir's.

MediaHuman Audio Converter - free audio converter for Mac OS X and Windows Alternatively, there's =http://www.zamzar.com]Zamzar - video converter, audio converter, image converter, eBook converter or AVS Audio Converter - convert audio files between any audio formats. for Windows.

I'm not going to explain from the thread to the needle about snap shooting in Ozone, because there's a really good video to watch here, from our beloved Clark Kent.

All you need to do is follow the above instructions with your chosen OGG (now wav) audio clip and hey presto!

Just remember that tone match only "fills the gap" between your original guitar tone and the tone matched tone, so don't expect a Vox AC30 to sound like a 5150. It also helps to have a quality Cabinet Impulse Response (Fractal, Own Hammer, Redwirez etc) because that will ultimately give you a close sounding tone match.

Below is a video on how to tone match from SoloAWeek which explains how to do it.

I hope that you find this helpful. It would be great to see more Tone matching on the forum.

-Fabio KTG

"It also helps to have a quality Cabinet Impulse Response (Fractal, Own Hammer, Redwirez etc) because that will ultimately give you a close sounding tone match." - I don't understand this.

Doesn't TM essentially create an IR that you place in front of the amp?

"It also helps to have a quality Cabinet Impulse Response (Fractal, Own Hammer, Redwirez etc) because that will ultimately give you a close sounding tone match." - I don't understand this. Doesn't TM essentially create an IR that you place in front of the amp?

No, the Tone match block is placed after the amp block to replace the cab block.

Sorry, yes that's what i meant, after the amp.

So if the tone match is after the amp, why do you need an OH/Fractal/RW IR there as well?

Last edited:
the link for the multitracks providing most of the (same) files in ogg and mogg files ... whats the difference and whats best for the tonematch ?

It's entirely up to you, but a great IR will lessen the gap and makes the tone match better

In the video, it shows the tone match replacing the cabinet. To use his words "the tonematch will become our cabinet". So I don't understand why you need another IR at all.

the link for the multitracks providing most of the (same) files in ogg and mogg files ... whats the difference and whats best for the tonematch ?

Vorbis.com

MOGG (Multitrack Vorbis) is just a file with multiple tracks built into it. So when you're playing guitar on Rockband, you cab change instrument and the game knows the mute track for the instrument that you're playing.

In the video, it shows the tone match replacing the cabinet. To use his words "the tonematch will become our cabinet". So I don't understand why you need another IR at all.

Have you tried to play a guitar through just the amp block? If you do some research into the gear used for the tone match that you're doing, then it's easier to set up a patch that's nearly there. You couldn't do that with just an amp block.

Have you tried to play a guitar through just the amp block? If you do some research into the gear used for the tone match that you're doing, then it's easier to set up a patch that's nearly there. You couldn't do that with just an amp block.

Are you talking about the initial stage of just getting a setup that sounds close to the sound? Yes of course you will need a a cab of sorts at that point.

But during the actual tone match process, the vid shows there is no cabinet involved. It's guitar->amp->TM not guitar->amp->cab->TM.

Last edited:

You can do it either way. I have found my personal best results come when I get the tone as close to the match as possible before using the TMA block. Usually the "phasey" sound comes when you are expecting the TMA to do too much makeup between the tones. I have actually even had great results with using the TMA to do an intermediate match, save that as a user cab and then match again with the TMA after the user cab. It eats a lot of CPU but for a tone only, ie no effects, patch its fine.

I think the confusing part is the end result. After you're happy with the TM you've done should you have Amp>Cab>TM blocks or is it best to convert the final TM block to an IR and have as a final result Amp>Cab using the TM IR as the cab?

I just want to chime in on this because while yes the typical method is to export the tone match to an IR user slot, It is not required.

For example, I created a W/D/W layout using 2 ultrares cabs and a tonematch for the 3rd cab. I am able to also have a wah, comp, drive, rev and delay blocks going and am only @ 85% CPU while using USB.

Tone Matching is very useful and can be used in many ways.
Think outside the box!

I just want to chime in on this because while yes the typical method is to export the tone match to an IR user slot, It is not required. For example, I created a W/D/W layout using 2 ultrares cabs and a tonematch for the 3rd cab. I am able to also have a wah, comp, drive, rev and delay blocks going and am only @ 85% CPU while using USB. Tone Matching is very useful and can be used in many ways. Think outside the box!

I do this also. I'm trying to keep it simple for newbies :)

I just want to chime in on this because while yes the typical method is to export the tone match to an IR user slot, It is not required.

For example, I created a W/D/W layout using 2 ultrares cabs and a tonematch for the 3rd cab. I am able to also have a wah, comp, drive, rev and delay blocks going and am only @ 85% CPU while using USB.

Tone Matching is very useful and can be used in many ways.
Think outside the box!

Could you put it at the end of the chain, after the delay and reverb? For a guitar sound that has a reasonable amount of post-cab effects, this could theoretically make a better match? Assuming of course there is a regular cab after the amp.

Back
Top Bottom