Tone Matching Bonamassa's twin amp rig...

CyberFerret

Power User
Well, I didn't pick an easy one for my first time trying to do a Tone Match.

I found a 'rig demo' that Joe did at his Amsterdam show in late 2011. I took a poor quality snippet of sound of him playing his Van Weelden + Marshall Jubilee together. I used the ODS-100 and Brit800 amps in parallel in the Axe-FX, with a TS-808 in front and just some delay (400ms) after the 4x12 EV12L cabs.

Now all I need is Firmware 7 which will give me Talent Matching and hopefully it will get me UP to 10% of Joe's playing ability... ;)

EDIT: Just to clarify - the first 20 seconds was Joe, then me trying to (badly) cop his licks... :D

EDIT 2: If anyone wants the preset: Messa Bonna.syx

EDIT 3: Just did another tone match against Joe B's rig, this time just his Marshall Jubilee amp.

Last edited:
Can't hear this yet with SoundCloud down.. but speaking of Bonamassa, last night I tried the v6 version stock preset called "So Many Roads" (bank C I think) and just got stuck freaking out over that one. Holy schmidt! It's ODS-100 and Plexi Normal. Very, VERY nice stuff.

Sounded pretty close... I think it still needs some reverb to give it that "big" sound that the first half has... either way it sounded great!

Sounds pretty awesome. Did you sit and tweak and of the two amp setups in the block before you tone matched or did you just throw them in because they kinda match up with Joe's amps?

Sounds pretty awesome. Did you sit and tweak and of the two amp setups in the block before you tone matched or did you just throw them in because they kinda match up with Joe's amps?

Just threw them in there pretty much. Left all the settings at default, although I can't remember if I bumped up the Presence on the ODS-100? Put the TS-808 in front to give it some grit. It had the basic sounds already, so I just tone matched over the top, and then just added delay. :)

Yes - the preset contains the TMA block, which is not recognised on anything other than an Axe-FX with Firmware 6 on it.

OK. But if remove that block it will work?
I will upgrade firmware ,but I have t read how to, so nothing get messed up.
What`s the most easy/ preferred way to do that? I don`t need to transfer the banks again?

Very interesting results - I really like the tone of the first clip. The second clip sounds good but I like the first better. Nicely played IMO. :) Thank you for the preset!

Back
Top Bottom