Tone Matching an Amp II

I was able to tell this set apart pretty easy, but the point is that they're very close, and a little eq tweaking like zentman did got things up to snuff. VERY awesome, very powerful tool! I'm loving it and I don't even have it yet! :D

Wicked awesome as usual Cliff!!! This sux since I won't be near my rig for several weeks now. Still looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, the match data is embedded in the preset. The beta testers are already swapping presets.
I don't know if this is registeiring with anyone else yet, but this is typical FAS understating of the awesome. I mean the tone matching concept is great, but the details taken into consideration for the process is what makes the stuff such a joy to use. To be able to do this AND still have all 50 of my user cabs AND not have to track down some weird tone match IR in order to use a preset I made a year ago or whatever is absolutely fantastic news.

I was able to tell this set apart pretty easy, but the point is that they're very close, and a little eq tweaking like zentman did got things up to snuff. VERY awesome, very powerful tool! I'm loving it and I don't even have it yet! :D

Are you positive which is which? I'm no expert, so I'd only be guessing. The first one sounds a little muffled, as some guys have mentioned. Maybe that's the real amp, though, in the isolation cab? I honestly have no clue. I think I prefer the sound of the second part, but I couldn't tell you if it's the real amp or the model.

Yea, that is something I am also VERY glad for...it's another block, and NOT a user IR. That allows flexibility like I can't imagine! The way it appears to be implemented for use has me excited as well, as it seems very well thought out as always. Kudos to FAS! ;)

Now all we need is the hardware IR mix utility hahaha :p

I didn't say I could tell which was the amp, but I'd guess it was clip 1. What I meant was that it was easy to differentiate the two clips, but a little tweaking of eq nailed it, which is what zentman did

To be splitting hairs, i (think) do hear a slight difference, and also think the first part might be the real amp, distortion sound seems a hair tighter, but it could very well just be the way it was played, but as far as i'm concerned the matching is so close that it's ready for release.. :)
Awesome work Cliff/Fractal !!
Thanks for the hard work.. how many other companies work on weekends? :)

Edit- Sorry was posting at same time, didn't see that it was already revealed, first part is Real amp.

Last edited:
How much will the quality of the Mic/Mic Pre affect the quality of the capture/tone matching ? Will expensive mics and pres most likely sound better than let's say an SM57 through a Mixer with built in mic preamp?

Also regarding your matched control knobs you mentioned earlier in a thread, is that relevant only for tone matching or will it now be possible to grab a real amp found in the AxeFX and set the controls to match that amp and get a similar tone?

The source is using an isolation cabinet. My wife and cats don't appreciate the 4x12 blaring on a Saturday. I wanted to capture the real amp at gig levels.

The point is that you can match the tone. And I know the metal guys like tons of gain so I put the Drive on 10.

I don't think even most metal guys who do serious gigging or recording EVER put their preamp or power amp gain on 10. There may be some exceptions, but this is usually a recipe for crap tone. This will be interesting to see how well it mimics great sounding amps set on real-world, useable settings. Thanks for the hard work!!

After this last test I'm sold :)

Having this kind of great sound matching quality plus all Axe effects potential..I can't stand waiting for my Axe II i just ordered few days ago..

And I want to say sorry Cliff for my few stupid comments about Ultra few weeks ago..I just had some bad days and unfortunatley FAS forum was the first place I had on my way that time..Sorry guys !!!

Sounds awesome, but the second part does have much more low end. Not complaining just an observation. Totally excited about this new feature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmmmm interesting; the underlying signature elements of the tone are present in both clips; I'd think you could make either of the two parts in the clip sound like the other in a couple of minutes...

Thankfully, I'm not obsessed with cloning tones or matching real/virtual rigs 100% heh, but if I could get 95% of my favorite Blackmore tone in a couple of minutes I might try this matching stuff out lol...

Last edited:
Would one be able to "tone match" just an amp's preamp section using the fxloop send on the amp? This would be awesome!

Last edited:
2nd one sounded a db or so louder but the tone fundamentals are all there so that is the landmark achievement. As with "brand K" I assume we will have varying degrees of success depending on the complexity of the amp. That unit did not do a very great job on my 63 Vox Berkeley Super Reverb so I'll be curious to see how accurate the axe can be on matching slight break up amps.

Back
Top Bottom