Tone Matching Acoustic Guitar

voes

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hi all,

We rarely play an acoustic song in our band, so I don't find it usefull at all to bring an extra acoustic guitar (lazy 8))

So I thought, why not Tone Match my acoustic guitar. But then I thought, why not first look for an excellent review on Youtube of a great acoustic.

Then I found this wonderfull how-does-it sound samples of all different good acoustic guitars like Taylor, Gibson, Martin, Seagull, Takamine, Guild,... . Best thing is they are all recorded in good quality with studio mics and all played with the same riffs, so that you can compare.

I took my electric guitar, set it on Neck single coil pickup and made a basic patch with a COMP - AMP (Tube Pre) - TONEMATCH - CHORUS - REVERB

I set the Axe-Fx II as soundcard and in the TMA I set the ref source to USB.

Then I played the Strumming (picking) riff around 1:10-1:30 and tone matched both (hit UP just before and ENTER after the riff)

That's all. Sounds great. Not exactly an acoustic guitar, but surely enough to leave my acoustic at home.

Great thing about the playlist is that I had them all tonematched in half an hour and now I have 19 acoustic guitars to choose from!

Link and patch below, but for best results, it's obvious that you should do the tonematching again with your own guitar. (neck single coil pickup)

youtube: Martin D1 - How does it sound ? - YouTube

patch: Axe-Change - Download Preset - Acoustic Martin D1 - by voes

have fun!

Forgot 2 things:

1. patch is made in FW11beta

2. your guitar (local) only needs to be tone-matched once, if you plan to tone-match all the sound samples

Doing the same thing with piezo-equipped guitars (e.g. EBMM JP) yields even better results, although using single-coils can sound decent, too.

How do you download from youtube and is it ok to use an mp3 as sound or should it be wav quality? Also, anybody know sites where it is possible to find a big library of guitar tracks in solo?

How do you download from youtube and is it ok to use an mp3 as sound or should it be wav quality? Also, anybody know sites where it is possible to find a big library of guitar tracks in solo?

I didn't download. Just played the youtube in realtime and played along with it.

Hi all,

We rarely play an acoustic song in our band, so I don't find it usefull at all to bring an extra acoustic guitar (lazy 8))

So I thought, why not Tone Match my acoustic guitar. But then I thought, why not first look for an excellent review on Youtube of a great acoustic.

Then I found this wonderfull how-does-it sound samples of all different good acoustic guitars like Taylor, Gibson, Martin, Seagull, Takamine, Guild,... . Best thing is they are all recorded in good quality with studio mics and all played with the same riffs, so that you can compare.

I took my electric guitar, set it on Neck single coil pickup and made a basic patch with a COMP - AMP (Tube Pre) - TONEMATCH - CHORUS - REVERB

I set the Axe-Fx II as soundcard and in the TMA I set the ref source to USB.

Then I played the Strumming (picking) riff around 1:10-1:30 and tone matched both (hit UP just before and ENTER after the riff)

That's all. Sounds great. Not exactly an acoustic guitar, but surely enough to leave my acoustic at home.

Great thing about the playlist is that I had them all tonematched in half an hour and now I have 19 acoustic guitars to choose from!

Link and patch below, but for best results, it's obvious that you should do the tonematching again with your own guitar. (neck single coil pickup)

youtube: Martin D1 - How does it sound ? - YouTube

patch: Axe-Change - Download Preset - Acoustic Martin D1 - by voes

have fun!

Just came across this thread while looking for a good acoustic tonematch source. Excellent - thanks so much for sharing!

Thanks voes, I also forgot to tell you that your Acoustic Martin D1 preset is one of my standard presets. Thanks a lot!

I've done much the same here; though I recorded myself playing my own acoustic that I love (Taylor) and did a Tone Match.

I actually repeated the process twice (tone matched again against my original tone match exported as an IR) and found it was EXCELLENT enough to use the PRS as my 'acoustic' on stage in lieu of rolling with my Variax for that situation. The results are excellent.

This thread reminds me that a bandmate got a Gibson Sheryl Crow Signature guitar, that sounds really good. Balanced and with good attack (my Taylor is bit soft in its attack). Gonna ask him to bring it so we can make an Tone Match with that one. What kind of playing did you play when you did your Tone Matching?

Chord strumming?
Picking notes?
Hitting an open chord?
All of above?

I've done much the same here; though I recorded myself playing my own acoustic that I love (Taylor) and did a Tone Match.

I actually repeated the process twice (tone matched again against my original tone match exported as an IR) and found it was EXCELLENT enough to use the PRS as my 'acoustic' on stage in lieu of rolling with my Variax for that situation. The results are excellent.

Hi Scott,

Any chance of sharing your live acoustic patch?

I've tried all the ones on axechange with no success

Would be awesome to ditch acoustic, one less guitar to bring to gigs

Thanks. :encouragement:

This thread reminds me that a bandmate got a Gibson Sheryl Crow Signature guitar, that sounds really good. Balanced and with good attack (my Taylor is bit soft in its attack). Gonna ask him to bring it so we can make an Tone Match with that one. What kind of playing did you play when you did your Tone Matching?

Chord strumming?
Picking notes?
Hitting an open chord?
All of above?

Does that mean you are about to share that tone match with us…..??

Hi Scott,

Any chance of sharing your live acoustic patch?

I've tried all the ones on axechange with no success

Would be awesome to ditch acoustic, one less guitar to bring to gigs

Thanks. :encouragement:

Sure. It's interesting how it works for other people; an artist from the Fractal Audio Artist Page I work with is using it on tour with his PRS (though he as different pickups and plays MUCH differently than I do, much lighter touch) and it sounds great. He ditched his acoustic. Half his set was acoustic.

I play just an E-chord up and down the neck - all the way up and then back down. Nothing fancy. Easy to Tone Match; and mainly.... it works.

I find the BEST tone matches are when you just play up and down like that in a simple manner. Best amp tone matches, and in this case, for an acoustic/electric hybrid tone.

The end result is an nicely workable practical faux-acoustic that stands up even on its own in a mix and on stage, it's a very musical and useful sound if not a perfect 'acoustic guitar' tone.

Sure. It's interesting how it works for other people; an artist from the Fractal Audio Artist Page I work with is using it on tour with his PRS (though he as different pickups and plays MUCH differently than I do, much lighter touch) and it sounds great. He ditched his acoustic. Half his set was acoustic.

I play just an E-chord up and down the neck - all the way up and then back down. Nothing fancy. Easy to Tone Match; and mainly.... it works.

I find the BEST tone matches are when you just play up and down like that in a simple manner. Best amp tone matches, and in this case, for an acoustic/electric hybrid tone.

The end result is an nicely workable practical faux-acoustic that stands up even on its own in a mix and on stage, it's a very musical and useful sound if not a perfect 'acoustic guitar' tone.

Soundclip, or it never happened!

;)

Back
Top Bottom