Tone Matching A Tube Head

Rmichael

I plan to attempt to Tone Match a Tube Head tonight. I normally use a few “real” pedal preamp pedals before my amplifier. These pedals a most usually “on” for tone shaping. Should I attempt to Tone Match with or without the preamp/EQ pedals engaged?

I have not done this but I did a ghetto tone match using my ears. I tried to clone my mesa mark v settings first, then I tried to match my mxr 10 band. I think I got it 99% there. The other 1 % changes I made just because I liked what the axe was doing more than the real amp.

I'd try both. Clone with and without your eq/preamp then judge which one you like better You have nothing to lose

Don't tone match with any pedals on, as Cliff said. TM is for gain and EQ, it's not going to replicate a delay or anything like that. I wouldn't even mess with overdrive or boost pedals.

I used to use a tube preamp pedal in front of my amp and the best TM results I got were from analyzing what that particular preamp did to my signal and replicating it with EQ/Drive models in Axe, but tonematching only the amp itself.

FWIW, Cliff's TM video for Axe-FX II combined with the tonematching vid in Cooper's Axe-FX III course seem to be a great combo for getting good matches. I really like the A/B toggle switch that Cliff uses and combining it with Cooper's process.

Back
Top Bottom