Tone Matching: A Step-by-Step Video Tutorial

Awesome .Thanks for your time and effort . Is it necessary to play the same phrase as the recording when matching?

Awesome .Thanks for your time and effort . Is it necessary to play the same phrase as the recording when matching?

No. But IMO it does help. You don't want, for example, to introduce a bunch of low end from playing chunky rhythm riffs into the match for a tone that is designed for leads. Conversely, you don't to leave out the low end you need for a chunky riffage tone by playing only a lead to match. The best of both worlds would be to play a good variety of things if you are going for a generally applicable tone.

I see I am not the only one that is leaving the plastic on.

Is it strictly necessary to press 'x' or 'y' only in the presence of audio, and stop the capture while audio is still playing?

Last edited:
Very nicely done video! Extremely helpful. Here's a rookie question.......Where do you find the sample audio files for your DAW with the separate tracks allowing you to mute everything except the guitar track?

Go easy on me. This is all new to me. :)

Killer work, very clear video. I'll be saving this one. I was pretty surprised at how accurate the tone match was. Having heard a few others (Dojo's Andy Summers was great also) I am pretty pumped about getting into this!

Here's how to tone match via USB audio from start to finish, starting with a stock preset and ending up with a dead-on matched tone.

Happy Matching!

great video, you beat me to it. Mine was rendering haha when I clicked refresh to see this post.

You did a far better job. :)

Outstanding presentation as usual from you! Many are going to benefit from this. I am very jealous of your skills!

Mods, this needs to be stickied in the tone match forum for easy access.

Ohhhh, and leaving he plastic on would drive me crazy. Well, more crazy.

Thanks for the vid. It's been a busy week so unfortunately I haven't had a chance to mess with 6.0 yet, but this has certainly helped me wrap my head around tone matching. Looking forward to trying it out.

Great vid dude!
I had to close my eyes, grit my teeth and turn away when I peeled the plastic off.

Just. Can't. Do. It.

Ha! My four year old yanked it off my Axe-Fx so it was over quick, before I knew it was happening.
Aaaaaaaaarrg.

Very nicely done video! Extremely helpful. Here's a rookie question.......Where do you find the sample audio files for your DAW with the separate tracks allowing you to mute everything except the guitar track?

Various bands, in this case Dream Theater, release stem tracks of their albums. I believe NIN and Radiohead have done it as well. Also, when Guitar Hero and Rock Band came out, enterprising, tech-savvy individuals pulled the stem track files off of the game DVDs and posted hundreds of full song master files online. I would guess that most of the bands didn't even consider that allowing their songs in these games would open them up to having all their masters out in the open as soon as someone figured out how to rip them from the game discs... I have them mainly to listen to how the album was produced, what recording techniques contributed to sounds I like, etc. They are a lot of fun to go through. Now, they are great tools for tone matching as well!

Back
Top Bottom