Tone Matching: A Step-by-Step Video Tutorial

I was having the same trouble with the thin and 'tinny' sounding tone, almost as if it was still coming straight out of the amp with no cab. You just press Enter on the Axe to initiate and, hey presto! Lush tone! Thanks a lot for posting the vid.

I plan on posting the patch when I get back in town. But since you only have an Ultra, it's not going to work for you... :/

It's a pre-summer 2009 JP6, so it has the D-Sonic and Air Norton.

Hi ccroyalsenders, well i finally bought the axe fx II and a JP12 7 string for good measure (also a huge Petrucci / DT fan). Guitar arrives in two days and the Axe Fx II in three :). I hate to pester you as what you've done for community here is great, but could you still post your Count of Tuscany file please - I can't wait to check it out!!! Thanks in advance I really appreciate it!!

Hi i have an AXE FX II im kinda noob in this world... I have a problem with the match in my unit... I follow all the steps in the video: i press the "X" button and begins to analyze sound, later i pressed the "Y" button to take the reference of the sound of my guitar, and when I give the enter button to do the match, nothing happened as if the button does not work and the button is obviously good because it works for other things.

Plz i need some help i think my unit is broken or something =(

I did it! I think the 'routing' scenario is the trickiest, but simple enough when you understand.

It's interesting that you say this Cliff, cause I definitely noticed the matches sound "flatter" somehow if they are summed and more organic if they are set to match off only one channel. Thanks for confirming!

I noticed this, too. I guess I missed the annotation. In my case, the difference between LEFT and SUM L+R was so close, I had a hard time deciding which I liked better. One thing about it was that it defeated the mic/air element of the cab patch in the origin tone, yet still with the mic sound. Weird.

I can see people messing with this to get exotic tones.

Some questions:

1. when you select your amp, do you leave it at stock settings?

2. I was wondering how you might tweak the general sound after the fact? Just go back to the amp section?

3. how do we save this as a cab file?

BTW, the actual Tone-Matching might be a bit more reliable and intuitive by using the Axe-FX II's front-panel/LCD screen, while all that file-xfer (export/import) stuff is made easier with Axe-Edit's Axe-Manage function!

Yeah, the monitor in AE only shows the matched result, whereas the Axe's display only show Reference and Local waves, so you have to use both.

For those wondering, there seems to be little or no difference between having the block enabled in process.

Last edited:
I am having trouble guys and would love appreciate some help. I just received my axe fx ll this week and I absolutely love it. However after I follow all of the steps and press enter to match both tones, nothing happens. I am out of ideas lol.

Giofrigo, I am having the same problem! Have you been able to figure it out yet?

I have the sam problem, when I press enter to tone match, nothing happens and the curve in Y remains the same. Funny though I was able to tone match dimebags "walk" intro but only once. As I tried it again to get closer to his tone in another preset, I wasn't even close and as I said the Y curve is not moving at all after my recording. I have the FW 10.02 installed. Am I doing something wrong or what? Did you guys find something out in the meantime?

Please help anybody. Thanks.

I have the sam problem, when I press enter to tone match, nothing happens and the curve in Y remains the same. Funny though I was able to tone match dimebags "walk" intro but only once. As I tried it again to get closer to his tone in another preset, I wasn't even close and as I said the Y curve is not moving at all after my recording. I have the FW 10.02 installed. Am I doing something wrong or what? Did you guys find something out in the meantime?

Please help anybody. Thanks.

Hmm that's exactly my experience too (in FW10 I have to say)
Somebody some help or suggestions?

I have tried it once again. The tone that I got before tone matching was much closer to the desired reference (mp3) and it worked well (installed FW11.02 before). It didn't go well as I tried to tone match a youtube video, maybe that was one of the problems. The second issue is, if I bypass the tone matching block, it works. If it isn't bypassed, it doesn't. (The cab was always bypassed, if anyone asks)

There is still one thing that's rather confusing, the Y curve in this video is obviously moving. Mine remains still through the whole process and it's relatively flat. I see now that more people notice the same.

Come on experts, we're waiting for quite some time for a descent answer or help. Thanks in advance :)

I have tried it once again. The tone that I got before tone matching was much closer to the desired reference (mp3) and it worked well (installed FW11.02 before). It didn't go well as I tried to tone match a youtube video, maybe that was one of the problems. The second issue is, if I bypass the tone matching block, it works. If it isn't bypassed, it doesn't. (The cab was always bypassed, if anyone asks)

There is still one thing that's rather confusing, the Y curve in this video is obviously moving. Mine remains still through the whole process and it's relatively flat. I see now that more people notice the same.

Come on experts, we're waiting for quite some time for a descent answer or help. Thanks in advance :)

Has this been sorted out for everyone now?

I tried the jp tone for the count of Tuscany. Like it was previously mentioned i was closer to the tone prior to the tone match. It might just be my wars though. Upon playing along or a scratch track, it sounded better when it was part of the mix.

Here's how to tone match via USB audio from start to finish, starting with a stock preset and ending up with a dead-on matched tone.

Happy Matching!

At 6:15 when you capture the guitar, is the AXE still set to USB on REF SOURCE?

If all this tone matching is being done using the USB interface that may explain why it's not working. Unfortunately I want to record at 44.1k. I guess I could still match tones using the USB interface at 48 and switch back to my analog interface when not tone matching.

Back
Top Bottom