Tone Matching: A Step-by-Step Video Tutorial

sickindian said:
Mines are original ones so there can be mismatch as your D-Sonic sounds stronger ... But I'm going to replace them with Crunch Lab and Liquifire hopefully tone will improve once again.

The D-Sonic and Air Norton are what originally were in the guitar. I didn't replace them.

What *I* do is the following:

Plug guitar into Axe-Fx. Route input to both amp and fx loop. Connect Output 2 to amp. Connect mic pre t Input 2. Turn Out 2 Level knob to full.

Start capture on BOTH reference and user. Play a bunch of chords up and down the neck. Press Enter. Done.

Another technique is to insert a synth block before the amp/fx loop and use test tones instead. Pink noise works well. I also have a "mathematical" set of six swept triangle waves that also works well. You need two synth blocks to do this.

with this in mind, do you think this IPAD App would work for tone generation.

It's called audio tools.

Sine_wave.png

Great video many thanks. Two questions - 1/ So, the original amp selection is critical, the Axe can't work it out itself? 2/ Is there anything on the Axe 2 horizon for replicating detune/ reverb/ delays etc? Thanks in advance.

RE: Plastic...
I happen to know for a fact that the "Drunk Guy with a Beer in His Hand" has a grocery bag with several hundred pieces of plastis which he quickly peels off the second he wonders on to your stage. (the bag also has a couple dried beers and some vomit mixed in with the plastic sheets. That is how mine vanished one day at the Coach House in So Cal. The bag is from "Gemco" membership store and dates back to 1969 and contains PLASTIC from over 1,200 bands including one from Hendrix's first Fuzz Face pedal. You will know him when a staggering Driuck Guy with a dirty "Mahogany Rush World Tour" T-Shirt, a balding head, big ass mustache, head phones around his neck and a long pont tail with a 1st generation Sony walkman strapped on his arm finds his way on stage and quickly rips your plastic off then trips and spills his beer on your floor board seconds after "resetting your settings on the AXE-FX II to "The Way They Should Be".

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEEAASSEE - BEWARE OF THE "Drunk Guy with a Beer in His Hand"

it's been said many times now, but I do want to say thanks for the video. It was straight forward and simple and allowed me to conjure a couple tone matches really easily. I would not have even attempted it had I not seen how truly simple it is. Thanks so much.

It seems you're able to reference this from mixed stems easily, but what about in a song where there are drums, bass, etc and not just the guitar?

It seems you're able to reference this from mixed stems easily, but what about in a song where there are drums, bass, etc and not just the guitar?

It doesn't grab 'just' the guitar on the tone match block when you use a track with drums, vocals, and bass in it. If you can reference a single section of a song where the guitar is 'by itself' you can probably snag a portion and still grab the tone you are looking for. The 'reference' signal you are trying to match should only be a reference of the guitar itself otherwise you risk introduce different signals into the match....make sense? People are favoring the stem tracks but you can certainly grab from a song if the reference you use is guitar only (that is what you are looking to achieve)...the guitar alone. Hope that helps

Yeah, this is what I figured. Since it looks like it 'listens' for whatever frequencies are being used, sort of like when it profiles a cab IR. So if there are frequencies being used for other instruments it will capture those too.

ccroyalsenders this is a KICK ass vid man! I've been checking out all your vids, and they're simply awesome. This tutorial was insanely clear, and you do the unit an insane amount of justice by showing how simple and accurate the whole process of tone matching is. Thanks so much bro!

Can you do this tone matching with something such as an iTunes track? Also will tone matching being useless if other instruments enter the song? such as drums or even vocals?

Guys,

I have been tone matching different sounds based on this and other tutorials. .. mostly from ogg/mogg files.some worked well some not.

I had two questions :

1. When you tone match do you try to start from a sound as close to the end sound as possible (with all other effects like reverb, delay, compressor, drive, flanger etc... ON) or do you just start from an AMP that is close to the sound with all other effects bypassed)
2. I am using axe edit for tone matching. To get best results when doing the actual tone matching , what levels should i put on time, amount and smoothing. or is this not impacting the end result at that stage

All info welcome.

If you have a track, and instrumental guitar track, with some drums kind of on low volume, and guitarbacking, might it still grab the solo tone?

Good TMA questions...

Guys,

I have been tone matching different sounds based on this and other tutorials. .. mostly from ogg/mogg files.some worked well some not.

I had two questions :

1. When you tone match do you try to start from a sound as close to the end sound as possible (with all other effects like reverb, delay, compressor, drive, flanger etc... ON) or do you just start from an AMP that is close to the sound with all other effects bypassed)
2. I am using axe edit for tone matching. To get best results when doing the actual tone matching , what levels should i put on time, amount and smoothing. or is this not impacting the end result at that stage

All info welcome.

zecure,

Good questions!

#1.) It seems like most guys I've seen (and what I did when I've tried it) is to get a close amp-type match with similar gain & EQ settings, etc. but then AFTER auditioning your tone with: an "appropriate/amp-complimentary/similar-to-source" CAB AND any effects heard on the source sound - bypass ALL EFFECTS AND THE CAB BLOCK!, This will temporarily make the preset sound like ass! Don't worry about it at this stage though...(IMHO, ccroyalsenders did a great job at explaining his approach {thorough & step-by-step} and his opinions - I.E: The importance/influence of a CAB on ANY amp's overall sound, etc. - in his YouTube Channel's - {SoloAWeek} - Tone-Matching Video.) Then after you re-introduce your Tone-Matched result as a CAB-Block (after: exporting/saving as a User-Cab .syx-file-->loading/importing the Tone-Matched "CAB-BLOCK" back onto your Axe-FX II-->then adding effects as desired.) BTW, the actual Tone-Matching might be a bit more reliable and intuitive by using the Axe-FX II's front-panel/LCD screen, while all that file-xfer (export/import) stuff is made easier with Axe-Edit's Axe-Manage function!

#2.) I don't know, as I haven't tried that...YET! However, a friend/bandmate of mine has, and he believes that stage to be beneficial to tailoring the end-result for accuracy and/or your own personal needs/tastes. (BTW, not sure if that would be implemented pre or post TMA-capture? I would think post, as in editing the raw-result, but not 100% sure...YET!?!)

Bill

This is exactly why i like this forum so much. Thanks a lot for the colour Billmeedog! Keep on rockin'

Back
Top Bottom