Tone Matching a Preamp

Paul '82

Inspired
Hi everyone! I read threads about tonematch. In most of these people finds out the tone using amp+cab+mic.
I'm intrested in tone matching all of the channels of my Peavey Rockmaster preamp, but I don't know if I have to pay attention about impedance of the unit or something else.
I.e. in the Axe2 do I turn off the SAG knob or the power sim in the global controls to make a more accurate emulation of the preamp?
Thank in advance! :) :) :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I read threads about tonematch. In most of these people finds out the tone using amp+cab+mic.
I'm intrested in tone matching all of the channels of my Peavey Rockmaster preamp, but I don't know if I have to pay attention about impedance of the unit or something else.
I.e. in the Axe2 do I turn off the SAG knob or the power sim in the global controls to make a more accurate emulation of the preamp?
Thank in advance! :) :) :)

1. Turning off sag is probably a good idea since it is a preamp.

2. Pick an amp or preamp model that has distortion similar to the RM.

3. Input impedance is probably not super important, the Axe default setting is generally applicable for most scenarios.

4. Given that it is a preamp, I would consider bypassing the cab/power amp/mic chain and recording the raw line out of the preamp (and not using the Axe's cab block). This way you get fewer variables in the mix and you would have the ability to mix and match cabs with your Rockmaster tone. Downside is you will have to dial everything in using cabs at first and then disable it all when doing the matching. It'll sound like a can of bees on both the Axe and the RM without a cab but the flexibility would be worth it, IMHO.

5. Post the results, because that preamp kicks a**.

I have considered buying an ADA MP-1 just to tone match it as per the above but my wife would throw a fit because I told her I am done buying gear for a long while. ;)

5. Post the results, because that preamp kicks a**.

I have considered buying an ADA MP-1 just to tone match it as per the above but my wife would throw a fit because I told her I am done buying gear for a long while. ;)

I have a completely overhauled ADA MP-1 by Voodoo Amps. If someone (zenaxe?) is interested in getting a Tonematch out of it, I could definitely consider exchanging some info just so that I know exactly what to do (I am a tone matching noob) and then I could happily share it anyone!

This is crazy. I read the title and said to myself, 'I hope it says how to do this so I can match my Rockmaster."

I have had my Rockmaster sitting in the closet for years since playing the Axe and always thought about tone matching it. I have sold everything else, but I will never sell the Rockmaster.

Oh man, you guys are killing me with your not-yet-tone-matched "vintage" rack preamps. :) I was a total rack-head back in the day. One of the reasons I was able to vibe with the Fractal Gear so quickly... Unfortunately my old gear had all been sold/traded before I had tone match capability!

Thank you very much guys!
I'will follow your instructions! I have also a ADA MP-1 and an ADA MP-2 to Tonematch. I will upload the tones in the axechange when done! :) :) :)

That would be awesome. I know some people dissed the MP-2 but I have ALWAYS wanted to play one for myself. A lot of the complaints sounded like group think to me and some of the typical guitar player "the first one was the best" mentality at work. I loved ADA's stuff and I'm sure some of those guys guys were dude's who just put on the highest gain channel and dimed the gain, then complained when it sounded over compressed/saturated.

If someone have Lee Jackson Perfect Connection Gp1000 preamp ,please tone match that preamp. And share those presets ,would be amazing.

Back
Top Bottom