Tone Matched Acoustic --> Electric: Peterson Style (Preset/IR Included)

Scott, you haven't by any chance done the same for/with a single coil pickup?

Scott, any chance you could upload a high quality version of your Taylor K-16ce recording so those of us with drastically different pickups can try using it as a source? Decent acoustic recordings containing enough frequency content to make useful tone matches seem to be few and far between!

Unfortunately riffs akin to Cliff's Boogie don't seem to get a lot of airtime on good sounding commercial acoustic recordings these days... :)

I got to try this. Never tried the acoustic geetar tricks with an eletric.

I thought you could store different guitar types on the pup selector on the Variax.. No?

just test drove this tonight awesome sound, drop the db and it cut lot of low e string boom ,

gonna have lot of fun using this, think you came good on your promise Scott and saved me fitting a piezo in a new guitar lol

gas just evaporated

G \../

This tone match and preset are very nice. I had to turn off the LFO modifier on the delay block and make a few changes. Sounds better on humbucker than single coil which isn't a bad thing because it sounds good! Thanks Scott!

There are some things I do with controllers that are probably still in there; for people having issues with the preset, that might be the issue. Just remove the external controllers.

It's a Tone Match between my acoustic and my humbucker bridge PRS; it wont' work so well for guitars with different setups (ie. single coils).

The best practices method is to just follow the process and Tone Match your own guitar. It works.

Scott, any chance you could upload a high quality version of your Taylor K-16ce recording so those of us with drastically different pickups can try using it as a source? Decent acoustic recordings containing enough frequency content to make useful tone matches seem to be few and far between!

Unfortunately riffs akin to Cliff's Boogie don't seem to get a lot of airtime on good sounding commercial acoustic recordings these days... :)

I'll get onto doing this this week assuming (I think) I saved the file. See my post above this one though - it is still my hands on my acoustic with my mic and my mic preamp. Best practices is just doing your own. Trust me on this, it is the truth.

There are some things I do with controllers that are probably still in there; for people having issues with the preset, that might be the issue. Just remove the external controllers.

Thanks Scott. I did not find any external controllers assigned to any of the effects in the chain. no output sound... what am I missing? it has to be stupid simple.

I got to try this. Never tried the acoustic geetar tricks with an eletric.

I thought you could store different guitar types on the pup selector on the Variax.. No?

Perhaps true (I don´t know), but an Variax surely feels quite different to an PRS, Fender, Gibson or any other of your favourite guitars etc...

I'll get onto doing this this week assuming (I think) I saved the file.

Thanks!

See my post above this one though - it is still my hands on my acoustic with my mic and my mic preamp. Best practices is just doing your own. Trust me on this, it is the truth.

I'm aware that's the ideal way, but for those of us who don't actually own an acoustic guitar in the first place ( :shock ), matching to other people's acoustic recordings is our only option. I've done a couple of perfectly usable acoustic tone matches in the past, but from slightly less than ideal sources. I imagine a decent recording full of meat and potatoes tone match friendly material will yield better results again.

So I upgraded to 12.03 and loaded the preset with the IR. My thoughts-

Perhaps its my guitar, but this patch to me doesn't really have much acoustic/woody quality. It sounds great, don't get me wrong, but with my Suhr S-3, it treads much closer to a very clean/slightly percussive electric tone. Which honestly might not be a bad thing, because too often you get into the fake acoustic sound that sounds poor. But IMO I couldn't pull this out at a gig and anyone think taht I was playing an acoustic. I do have a humbucker in my Suhr strat, but IDK, I almost feel like I did something wrong, because to me it doesn't sound like a tone matched acoustic, hah.

So I upgraded to 12.03 and loaded the preset with the IR. My thoughts-

Perhaps its my guitar, but this patch to me doesn't really have much acoustic/woody quality. It sounds great, don't get me wrong, but with my Suhr S-3, it treads much closer to a very clean/slightly percussive electric tone. Which honestly might not be a bad thing, because too often you get into the fake acoustic sound that sounds poor. But IMO I couldn't pull this out at a gig and anyone think taht I was playing an acoustic. I do have a humbucker in my Suhr strat, but IDK, I almost feel like I did something wrong, because to me it doesn't sound like a tone matched acoustic, hah.

You have to tailor your expectations to the reality presented. The point of the thread is the method, not the preset or the IR.

Remember that a preset (this or any other) isn't some magic formula or anything that mysterious - it is individual to my situation and has worked for other people in various levels of manner. Presets are essentially just parameter settings grouped and saved. Nothing more. The IR is individual and specific to my hands, my guitars. But it will ideally show the METHOD to create a usable tone. It is less an 'acoustic' sound than it is a musical 'acoustic-like' direct honk-less piezo tone in essence.

I think I know why I am not getting any output sound. I don't know what "All you need is the one IR in a User Slot and your cab block pointing at it." means! I simply put the IR into a user slot in the cab block.

I have never used an IR so this might seem too obvious to you guys but I would love to know what I am missing here - which cab block? pointing at what exactly? and what does 'pointing' mean? thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom