Tone Match

Cooldrewb

Inspired
I noticed that sometimes when Tone Matching from an Isolated guitar track it comes a little Nasally. Just wondering if anyone ran into this and why. Also, what can I do to maybe fix it. I was thinking EQ?

Nasalness / phasey-ness can come from comb filtering-like effects or possibly something off in your matching process. Look at the curve and if it has a lot of spikes and dips this might be the source of nasalness.

Smoothing can help smooth out big spikes/dips, but too much can sound sterile or anemic. Also Amount (less than 100%) can reduce the overall EQ applied.

Can you describe where in the frequency spectrum you're hearing it? In my experience, any form of room/ambience in the tone that's anything more than short will wreck the match (as the manual mentions). Also, are you certain you're doing the match with blocks (pedal, amp, etc.) in your chain that are "close enough"?

Would be nice for you to post a clip of your source and the match side-by-side, or better yet, barring anything that makes a good match impossible, give me your source song unedited and I'll see what I come up with, and we can compare them and probably learn something through that process.

Last edited:
Nasalness / phasey-ness can come from comb filtering-like effects or possibly something off in your matching process. Look at the curve and if it has a lot of spikes and dips this might be the source of nasalness.

Smoothing can help smooth out big spikes/dips, but too much can sound sterile or anemic. Also Amount (less than 100%) can reduce the overall EQ applied.

I think that is what was causing the problem. I noticed that a few Tone Matches had an effect on.

Out of curiosity... I haven't tested this yet but can you have a preset with two different tone matches, on different channels of course.

Note that if you do export it for use as an IR, it might come out "inverted". I had this happen on a TM. Cliff said it can happen due to the shape of the impulse (positive or negative).

AFIAK there is no software "fix" for this but if it sounds off or bad as a CAB/IRP, try inserting a FIL with reverse polarity in front of the CAB/IRP.

Back
Top Bottom