Tone Match vs. IR

Alex Kerezy

Inspired
Hi,
Somewhat new to axe-fx iii and I'm a little confused between the tone match and the IR. I saw a video by Cooper Carter where he did a tone match and then saved it or converted it to an IR for a cab.

I want to use the axe-fx iii to "auto adjust" the sound of the input to match the sound of either a .wav file I have or I also have an IR. The wave and IR that I have are expensive violins, and the input sound is my cheap fiddle with an LR Baggs piezo pickup.

So a video explaining how both the tone matching and the IR work, and what the difference is would be helpful. Does the IR somehow "adjust" or "change" or "conform" the input sound to match or mimic something?

One other important question - can you have a cab without an amp in front of it; assuming the IR file is attached to or used through the cab?

KornFuzed in KolumBus

I want to use the axe-fx iii to "auto adjust" the sound of the input to match the sound of either a .wav file I have or I also have an IR. The wave and IR that I have are expensive violins, and the input sound is my cheap fiddle with an LR Baggs piezo pickup.

If I'm understanding the question correctly then Yes you can convert the wav file to an IR (Cab file) and use it by itself without a cab. I've used the free acoustic and 3 Sigma IR's for an acoustic guitar to make my acoustic sound like a Taylor or Martin and to fake my electric to closely approximate an acoustic. Import it into your cab blocks and put it in your preset and you should be good to go.

The “auto-adjust” you’re talking about is the definition of Tone Match. You take your cheap piezo violin and match the tone of the expensive violin.

An IR of an expensive violin will sound like an expensive violin being played by a cheap piezo violin. If it wasn’t created to match your particular cheap piezo violin, then it may or may not be an improvement over your cheap piezo sound. :)

...unless the IR was created from your tone match. Then it’s the same thing.

Last edited:
The “auto-adjust” you’re talking about is the definition of Tone Match. You take your cheap piezo violin and match the tone of the expensive violin.

An IR of an expensive violin will sound like an expensive violin being played by a cheap piezo violin. If it wasn’t created to match your particular cheap piezo violin, then it may or may not be an improvement over your cheap piezo sound. :)

...unless the IR was created from your tone match. Then it’s the same thing.
The IR of an expensive violin is created with studio quality mics and recording equipment in special studios

Will using an IR (of an expensive violin in stellar recording conditions) in a cabinet - morph or change the input of my cheap violin with a piezo pickup?

Will using an IR (of an expensive violin in stellar recording conditions) in a cabinet - morph or change the input of my cheap violin with a piezo pickup?
Yes, it will change the sound of your cheap piezo violin. But it may or may not change it in a way that you want.

An IR of a violin body replicates the response of that body to being played. No matter how wonderfully it was recorded, you’re still feeding it with your cheap piezo signal, and that will affect how it sounds.

On the other hand, a Tone Match is intended to represent the difference between your specific cheap violin and the sweet, expensive violin. When you apply that difference, you’re likely to get closer to reproducing the sound of a sweet violin.

Back
Top Bottom