Tone Match question

ptgold

Inspired
I keep seeing on the AXEchange of TMA presets to turn off the TMA block in order to try different cabs.

So....Even if I turn off the TMA block the amp is still tonematched? I was under the impression that for the tonematching to be possible the block had to be on. Can anyone clarify this?

If you bypass the TMA block, you hear only the amp block, which will sound very odd, unless you put a cab block after the amp. In other words, there will be no tone matching if the TMA block is bypassed.

If you bypass the TMA block, you hear only the amp block, which will sound very odd, unless you put a cab block after the amp. In other words, there will be no tone matching if the TMA block is bypassed.

Thats what I was assuming

However when I go see a preset on AXEchange theres this description for example:

"Amp Match of a Dr. Z Maz 38. This was done using Amp Matching Template #2. A cab block is included but bypassed. Bypass the TMA block and turn on the cab block to try different cabs."

Does this mean that if I turn off the TMA block and use a cab.....is the amp still tonematched? Im guessing no?

Does this mean that if I turn off the TMA block and use a cab.....is the amp still tonematched? Im guessing no?

No. The way you are wording this may be the source of the confusion. Think of TMA as a capture tool for "IR's" of any input chain and the CAB as a playback only for IR's which typically come from real speaker cabinets and mics.

In the patch mentioned, TMA on and CAB off means that you'll hear the tone matched sound. TMA off and CAB on just means that you can experiment with different CAB's instead of using the TMA. So in this case, TMA and CAB are used interchangeably.

When you say "is the amp still tonematched?" it's a little confusing. The amp matching is not related to TMA but something that Cliff worked into the amp models. TMA on the other hand is used to capture an IR equivalent of anything presented at its input. It provides a means to capture an IR without having to capture an impulse from a physical speaker. The input can be any audio signal (anything presented as an input to the AxeFX with or without a chain of blocks). So while a physical amp or amp block may be in the chain, it may be loosely called "amp matching" but that's misleading. It's really "tone matching". I don't think the wiki page on TMA is very clear... Tone Matching, Amp Matching - Axe-Fx II Wiki.

Also note that you can export TMA to an IR that can then be used in a CAB. This is what I primarily do... match with TMA, export IR, turn off TMA, turn on CAB and set it to the IR that came from TMA.

Back
Top Bottom