Tone Match Question Regarding Presets...

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
I haven't done anything with the Tone Match Block... and I've seen a couple folks upload presets and IRs... so my question(s) is(are):

In order to share the Tone Matched preset do you also have to export the IR from the Tone Match Block and import it into a cab block and add that cab block with the appropriate IR? Or can you just share the preset and nothing else?

Thanks!

As long as the Tone Match block is saved with the preset, that's all you need to do.

Exporting the Tone Match as an IR is just an option, not a requirement. Some folks might like what you can do with the cab block parameters and the Tone Match created IR.

As long as the Tone Match block is saved with the preset, that's all you need to do.

Exporting the Tone Match as an IR is just an option, not a requirement. Some folks might like what you can do with the cab block parameters and the Tone Match created IR.
I guess we can also save the block like other blocks and recall it in another preset ?

EDIT : I've just read in the new Axe Edit thread that it's not possible yet - so I guess it will be in future versions :)

Last edited:
So is the Amp Match feature part of the TMA block? I read the mini manual and I wasn't very clear on this. How do we match/profile/clone (or whatever it's called) a real amp of ours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So is the Amp Match feature part of the TMA block? I read the mini manual and I wasn't very clear on this. How do we match/profile/clone (or whatever it's called) a real amp of ours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Treat it just like a source file. You feed the AxeFXII the reference whether it's an audio file or an actual amp, then once you get a reference in there complete the process. You can use USB or one of the analog inputs via the rows, but I haven't tried it yet....not owning any amps has that effect. :)

But whatever you feed the AxeFXII's TMA block is going to be the reference signal. It's actually a pretty damn clever way of doing it IMHO.

I know some amps have a DI, but for the amps that do not then maybe something like a load box with DI (don't even know if they exist) for straight amp into the Axe-fx input...

Edit: Found something that may fit the bill from Koch Amps called the LoadBox II LoadBox II

If you don't want to purchase a mic & mic/pre & you don't feel the need to profile the cabinet section of your real amp then you could use a loadbox as above or even cheaper would be a behringer Ultra G DI (possibly other brands available) BEHRINGER: GI100

Amp out to DI input, DI Direct Link to Cab, DI "Óutput to Mixer" to Axe-Fx input (might need to make a cable for this).
This would get your amps pre & poweramp sections into the axe-fx for matching, obviously you would then need to use Axe-Fx cab sims.

If you don't want to purchase a mic & mic/pre & you don't feel the need to profile the cabinet section of your real amp then you could use a loadbox as above or even cheaper would be a behringer Ultra G DI (possibly other brands available).

Amp out to DI, DI speaker out to Cab, DI line out to Axe-Fx input. This would get your amps pre & poweramp sections into the axe-fx for matching, obviously you would then need to use Axe-Fx cab sims.

Exactly!

The amps in V6 were matched this way. The speaker was not part of the equation. The benefit to this technique is that the cabinet is completely separated. "Profiling" lumps the speaker IR with the amplifier output IR since linear functions are not separable. That's why those products don't work well when you try to run into a power amp and conventional guitar cab.

You don't really want to use a load box though, if you can help it. A real speaker is a much more realistic load. All you need is a DI box that can handle speaker level signals. You don't even really need a DI box. All you need is a resistive divider to knock the voltage down to line level. I have a simple little box that just has some resistors and a pot to reduce the level which I then send to Input 2.

Or even a pot would give you adjustable level - suggest a 10K resistor (at least 1/4 watt) in series witha 1K pot, in a case with in and out jacks. All up probably about $5 worth!

Can I use the slave out on my Mesa Mark V in a similar fashion? The Mark V manual says the slave is after the power amp, so could I run that directly to the axe and not need a DI?

Can I use the slave out on my Mesa Mark V in a similar fashion? The Mark V manual says the slave is after the power amp, so could I run that directly to the axe and not need a DI?

Yes. When I matched the MKIV I used the slave out (or direct out or whatever it's called). That's always your best option since you can be assured the level won't be too hot and potentially damage something.

Don't run the Mark V without a load. Proper/safe use of the slave out is covered in the Mark V manual (the Mark V doesn't have a 'silent recording' switch like the Mark IV). Start with the Slave Out turned all the way down and slowly bring it up - it can get hot.

update: just checked the Mark V manual and there's no mention of a load when using the Slave out, but prior Mark's had warning about running w/o a load. The Mark IIB manual specifies a speaker or a load resistor (8 to 20 ohm 50 watt resistor). If in doubt, call Mesa.

Last edited:
I know the Recto sounds great in V6, but I want to practice tone-matching amps, and all I have is a Mesa Triple Rec to test.

Would I be able to use the slave out option? Or what steps would I need to take to tone-match my amp.

Thanks for reading.

-Avi

Right ! But also for the sound .
The speaker must be connected to get the right impedance curve. Otherwise the amp will sound mid-rang-ier .

Don't run the Mark V without a load. Proper/safe use of the slave out is covered in the Mark V manual (the Mark V doesn't have a 'silent recording' switch like the Mark IV). Start with the Slave Out turned all the way down and slowly bring it up - it can get hot.

update: just checked the Mark V manual and there's no mention of a load when using the Slave out, but prior Mark's had warning about running w/o a load. The Mark IIB manual specifies a speaker or a load resistor (8 to 20 ohm 50 watt resistor). If in doubt, call Mesa.

Shouldnt we use a box like a THD hot plate to get the signal from the speaker outs and that way having the signal right after the poweramp?
I think a DI out is after the Preamp not the Poweramp, or am I wrong?

Shouldnt we use a box like a THD hot plate to get the signal from the speaker outs and that way having the signal right after the poweramp?
I think a DI out is after the Preamp not the Poweramp, or am I wrong?

That depends on the amp.

Back
Top Bottom