Tone Match Problems

WyattPost

So I'm trying to use the tone match feature and have a strange problem. My reference source is coming from my pc via USB and audio is coming through totally fine. But when I have the Reference source set to usb and then turn on Ref solo it sounds muffled, bad, and seems to be running through my signal chain cause i can hear the delay effect. But even with every amp/effect bypassed the sound is still muffled and bad.

If I keep the ref solo on and switch the ref source to anything else the sound returns to normal and still comes out of my speakers but is no longer being picked up in in the reference channel.

I'm fairly certain all I/O are set properly.

Any ideas? Thanks

Edit: I've discovered a workaround by setting the main input source to USB and then bypassing the whole signal chain but I don't believe this is the intended method.

Last edited:
Are you trying to listen to the USB signal with certain effects applied? It's not really clear why you want to use Ref solo. If you bypass every block you end up hearing the same thing as before when USB signal went directly to Out 1. Here's an explanation of why ref solo sounds funny:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ref-solo-isnt-accurate-when-i-listen.128490/#post-1526264

If you do want to hear post-TM effects applied to USB signal, another solution is to temporarily set USB Return level to minimum (-60 dB) then use Ref solo. That makes the usual (direct to Out 1) USB level low enough to not really matter.

Are you trying to listen to the USB signal with certain effects applied? It's not really clear why you want to use Ref solo. If you bypass every block you end up hearing the same thing as before when USB signal went directly to Out 1. Here's an explanation of why ref solo sounds funny:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ref-solo-isnt-accurate-when-i-listen.128490/#post-1526264

If you do want to hear post-TM effects applied to USB signal, another solution is to temporarily set USB Return level to minimum (-60 dB) then use Ref solo. That makes the usual (direct to Out 1) USB level low enough to not really matter.
Thanks for the response! I was just noticing that my tone matches sound more like the ref solo sound than the actual tone I should be hearing from the original source. I'm not looking to affect the USB signal in any way but it WAS being affected although my I/O settings didn't seem to correlate with that happening. The explanation of the ref solo sounding odd makes sense, but I guess I just don't fully understand the purpose of the ref solo. I also thought I had the USB input set to left only to avoid any issues like that.

Back
Top Bottom