Tone Match Problem

@200man that symptom matches what happens when you distort the tone match with reference levels that are too high.

Others, can you please specify whether you are matching to a recording or a live amp/modeler, what kind of connections you are using, and what settings you have tried.

Also, concerning a guide... the updated Tone Match Mini Manual has been on the web site for a few weeks. It appears as a link under the main manual at https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-downloads/

Personally I was using a recording in FLAC format. It's what I used with the Axe II with very good results.

I am having the same issues (sounds phase-y/delayed/etc)
I will lower my levels on the inputs to the TMA block and see if that fixes it tonight

Awesome! I had the exact same phase/doubling sound problem when trying to match one of my guitar sounds from pro tools. Looking forward to the answer!

Others, can you please specify whether you are matching to a recording or a live amp/modeler, what kind of connections you are using, and what settings you have tried.

I've been having a similar issue trying to tone match old recordings of my Axe FX Ultra. I'm sending out a single unprocessed channel from my DAW via USB into the tonematch block (with the appropriate inputs configured) and the TMs always have a certain level of tinnyness/honkiness, and sound weird. Tried it both with a cab before the TM, and no cab before the TM. Using the exact same guitar that I used in the original recording, and a similar amp/cab in my preset. Played around with the different levels and never have much luck.

Thank you Cliff for looking into this, would love to really start using this more.

I had a problem also. Was tone matching a guitar di signal, one side les Paul, other side ibanez. The TM was terrible but strangest thing is it created a delay effect. I posted a thread but didn’t get much traction. I was assuming user error but maybe there’s something more. Thanks Cliff for jumping in.

I tried the TM tonight on an isolated VH guitar track. It's a high quality wav file. The match initially resulted in a solid tone doubled with a phasey tone. I kept turning up the smooth knob until the doubling/phase went away. It ended up sounding very good anywhere between 74-80.

So although I did get a very good TM that I'm happy with, it shouldn't be doing that doubling/phase thing to begin with.

Thanks for looking into it Cliff!

It's better but still getting a bit of that hollow "ring" in the new firmware beta. Attached the test patch. Tried Limelight this time.
Screen shots of the TMA:

upload_2018-9-3_15-36-10.png

upload_2018-9-3_15-36-33.png

Attachments

• toneMatchTestTwo.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I'm having the same issue - a kind of comb filtered sound. Like its in a pipe or very small room.
I tried Willowdale's smooth knob suggestion above and it did help but I think it diminished the quality of the match.
Has there been a solution yet?

Do you think that one of the solutions can be exporting in your AXE 2 your tonematch into a cab and then when you import the preset you just import that cab?
Maybe is simpler if it works?
Not tested yet as my Axe 3 will be delivered to me next week but most of my presets are based on tone matches so if doesn't work I will be in shit hahaha

You can convert tonematches from II/XL, but it's a little harder than just drag and dropping onto FracTool, here is the process :
  • Convert the preset with FracTool
  • Open the II/XL preset with fractool (magnifying glass icon)
  • right click on the TMA block and save the tonematch data to WAV file
  • Open the WAV file with CabLab Lite and convert it to SYX (UltraRes)
  • Import the SYX with AxeEdit or FBot to your III.
  • Replace the TMA block with an IR Player block on the III, point it to the syx user cab slot you used previously

You're done

New to this and trying to follow these steps. Having trouble saving the TMA block as a WAV. Only allows me to save as SYX or BLK depending on how I want to save it? Not sure if newer versions handles this for you, but saving the TMA as SYX and then opening on Axe-III does not sound like anything relatable.

Do you have to play around with adding amps/cabs on top of the tone match? Most matches by themselves dont seem to sound like anything.

New to this and trying to follow these steps. Having trouble saving the TMA block as a WAV. Only allows me to save as SYX or BLK depending on how I want to save it? Not sure if newer versions handles this for you, but saving the TMA as SYX and then opening on Axe-III does not sound like anything relatable.

Do you have to play around with adding amps/cabs on top of the tone match? Most matches by themselves dont seem to sound like anything.
Not possible anymore, only export tma data as syx.
If it proposes blk then you're not right clicking on tma block in the grid

You can convert tonematches from II/XL, but it's a little harder than just drag and dropping onto FracTool, here is the process :
- Convert the preset with FracTool
- Open the II/XL preset with fractool (magnifying glass icon)
- right click on the TMA block and save the tonematch data to WAV file
- Open the WAV file with CabLab Lite and convert it to SYX (UltraRes)
- Import the SYX with AxeEdit or FBot to your III.
- Replace the TMA block with an IR Player block on the III, point it to the syx user cab slot you used previously

You're done
I have an FM3, I did all this except for the IR Player block bcuz we don’t have it in the unit, shall I just have it in the 2nd cab slot ??
What do you think??

Change the "Mode" from Live to Off-Line. Made all the difference for me.
I use Off-Line mode exclusively for matching recorded tones. For the Reference Channel, I select Sum L&R. Anyway, as you've noticed, selecting Off-Line Mode works.

Last edited:
I've been having issues trying to tone match similar to what the OP was talking about. My tone match ends up adding frequencies above 12khz and below 50hz whereas the reference track has nothing above 12khz and not boosted frequencies below 50hz.
It's like the tonematch block is stretching the frequencies from the reference across a wider spectrum.
Anyone know a solution for this?

Back
Top Bottom