Tone Match plug in

I just thought releasing an amp match plug in would be pretty nasty. It would be pretty awesome to harness a computers power fully on a total amp match feature that could be better than the axe fx tone match. Rather than releasing paid amps and cabinets, users could just pop open the Tone Match plug in, and direct an audio source of any amp they choose, and the plug in will perfectly match the tone of the amp and cabinet set up being used.

I just thought releasing an amp match plug in would be pretty nasty. It would be pretty awesome to harness a computers power fully on a total amp match feature that could be better than the axe fx tone match. Rather than releasing paid amps and cabinets, users could just pop open the Tone Match plug in, and direct an audio source of any amp they choose, and the plug in will perfectly match the tone of the amp and cabinet set up being used.
I doubt they will since there are plugins like Izotope Ozone and tons of other that does tone matching, and has for ages
(it's not like Fractal invented tone matching in any way, they just packaged it in a smart way as part of a total package).

Not sure if you've seen this video?

Ok, I think I may have explained it wrong. I dont mean EQ match. I mean a plug in that could perfectly emulate the amp source. For instance : Lets say you have an EVH 5150 iii head, and a 4x12 cab with celestions, and you want to match the sound just like how the Kemper does.

That is the kind of plug in I am trying to explain. I know you can do EQ matches with a few sources out there, but there is not any plug in at all that has the quality of a Kemper, and how it can match the source so close. All I am saying, is that Fractal can be the first to come out with a plug in that can do that.

Ok, I think I may have explained it wrong. I dont mean EQ match. I mean a plug in that could perfectly emulate the amp source. For instance : Lets say you have an EVH 5150 iii head, and a 4x12 cab with celestions, and you want to match the sound just like how the Kemper does.

That is the kind of plug in I am trying to explain. I know you can do EQ matches with a few sources out there, but there is not any plug in at all that has the quality of a Kemper, and how it can match the source so close. All I am saying, is that Fractal can be the first to come out with a plug in that can do that.
Gotcha!
But, have to ask myself, what interest would Fractal have in doing that, when they already have the
best component level modeling in the business? I mean, "amp matching a'la Kemper" is all well and good,
but with modeling the amp model will actually react like the original as far as gain, eq etc is concerned.

If you had a Kemper type plugin, sure you could "clone" all amps you have available,
but how would that differ from using a modeling of that same amp and tweaking it to the same tones?

Gotcha!
But, have to ask myself, what interest would Fractal have in doing that, when they already have the
best component level modeling in the business? I mean, "amp matching a'la Kemper" is all well and good,
but with modeling the amp model will actually react like the original as far as gain, eq etc is concerned.

If you had a Kemper type plugin, sure you could "clone" all amps you have available,
but how would that differ from using a modeling of that same amp and tweaking it to the same tones?

For example, lets say fractal released an amp/cab block that offers tone match. Each component of that block offers all the normal parameters in an amp, as well as mic placement for the cab. Why wouldn't that be great for in the box daw users who dont have an axe, and or cant afford one? They can still get some great tones, and experience some great versatility. A plug in that has that capability would be good because it offers something other guitar plug ins do not. Accuracy. That is the biggest issue with modeling plug ins, non of them have what fractal has to offer in sound quality. That is why I think it would be good to offer something different than what the Axe offers, but also something useful to in the box users who can model audio files, or tube amps they have.

Although Fractal may not have discovered or invented tone matching, there are creative places they could take it. For example, this is a cool plugin by Zynaptiq called Unfilter, that amongst other things, can do what the company calls "Adaptive Tonal Contour Linearization".

One question this brings up to me is whether the use of the term "adaptive" here might represent changes in coloration that occur when a filtering component, like an actual cab, is hit with various signal contours. If this is the case, does it merit a "living IR" that isn't static but instead responds to changes in signal. (I don't really understand IR's, so excuse my comment if it sounds naive, it probably is.).

See 2:28 into the vid, where they take off the cab from a guitar signal (without causing it to sound like a trash bag with a few hundred used razor blades in it), and then apply that cab-derived filtering over the top of a synth. The point here is that it IS possible to refine the usability of these algorithms and their GUI's, and Fractal can certainly compete in this field - it has a user base to sell to, and the hardware to run the effects flawlessly live, and on and on.

I can't vouch for how original this company is, with its plugins "Pitchmap" , and "Morph", and the software DSPs inside of Native Instruments Molekular. There are guys like the one behind Meldaproductions, and Izotope, and so on. But the cool thing about the Zynaptiq plugin to me, is that it, and their other products, have an easy interface and are designed to appeal to the mind and show off a lot of new possibilities. These, IMHO, apply to what fractal might do; e.g.with the ease with which one can, per the company, take a "colored signal" such as one that has been filtered, run through a cab, or otherwise colored, and 1) remove the colorization as desired, or 2) apply that colorization to a new signal. 3) Apply EQ refinement via a mastering-grade Free form EQ.

While tools similar to these have been around, from what I see, many are unique. This one has what appears to offer both a streamlined and a creative workflow. This means, eventually if things keep progressing, maybe, that if one likes the colorization in a Periphery guitar part, one can examine it in a harmonically based, exceptionally EQ-ing-friendly environment and quickly arrive at new places. (I know nothing about harmonic EQ's, but I think it might be an appropriate comparison).

Maybe one day I could make my non-strat sound like a strat. One might even perhaps morph between the Periphery sound and others that might be appropriate, etc., etc., without actually amp switching, all in the domain of some new Cab Block perhaps.

I haven't worked with this plugin at all. I only just discovered it and am seriously considering buying it. And I would rather give Fractal my business since their product should be more for live guitar playing or studio guitar recording. But it does point to a direction in which such a tool could be more tailored by Cliff and Crew (toward guitarists for both live & studio use).

Even though this has been more or less around as a developing concept, I know these companies are really just scratching the surface of all this potential.

Last edited:
I think kemper has a patent or something on it, thus the difference in which the Axe does it.

Kemper's patent is on the automated process, not on matching. Kemper's patent abstract describes the process as: Sending a test signal into a device, measuring the output of the device and automatically setting parameters; the Kemper automatically selects the underlying model and sets it's parameters (gain, tube type, etc), configures a compressor (or 2), shoots a match EQ and/or IR, etc.

Once you learn to properly set the gain in the the Axe's model to match your amp, then Tone Matching is almost as simple and quick as profiling.

Last edited:
Once you learn to properly set the gain in the the Axe's model to match your amp, then Tone Matching is almost as simple and quick as profiling.
Hy MAx,
Any suggestion of a nice and clear tutorial on that? I mean learning to properly set the gain in the Axe's model to match the desired amp?
Thank you

Bibanu

Hy MAx,
Any suggestion of a nice and clear tutorial on that? I mean learning to properly set the gain in the Axe's model to match the desired amp?
Thank you

Bibanu

It's really just a matter of using your ears. The axe knobs are linear, so depending upon your amp's tolerances on it's own knobs, you'll have to adjust the axe to put the master volume and gain at different amounts to get it in the ballpark. Then do your tone match and it should get you very close. Like crazy close.

Hy MAx,
Thank you

Bibanu

To set the Axe's gain for a tone match:
  1. Plug your guitar into your amp and dial in the amp.
  2. While playing turn the guitar's volume down until the amp cleans up.
  3. Plug into the Axe, set the gain and tone similar to your amp, then play while turning the guitar's volume down until the Axe starts to clean up.
  4. Adjust the Axe's gain until the Axe cleans up like your amp (the amp & Axe should be responding the same to your guitar's volume).
  5. Fine tune the Axe's tone to get it as close as possible to your amp.
You're ready to Tone Match!!!

If you're having trouble getting the Axe to respond like your amp then try a different model.

The Axe is modeling a tube circuit so gain doesn't just affect overdrive; it affects tone, compression, etc. Properly setting the gain on the Axe will help ensure the Axe's modeled circuit is performing like your amp's tube circuit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom