Tone Match not working

Can someone post a step by step video again on how to tone match using a recorded isolated track from youtube and then using your own guitar thru the axe. Please show what settings should be set on the axe. When I tried this method the tone match sounded really strange, very thin. I watched the tutorial that used John Petruccis solo guitar as the reference and the USA lead on the axe as the patch but when I tried this I got nowhere near a match. I might be doing something wrong so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

There are a few videos on youtube already. here is a good one

Thanks dpeterson for the video. This is the video I have watched several times but when I try it it just doesnt work. I still cant figure out what I am doing wrong. Maybe a certain setting or cable hookup? not sure.

Hmm I'm by no means an expert but what I did was the same as the video. Dial in an amp similar play the same riffs. I'll try some more stuff and see if I can help further.

Hmm I'm by no means an expert but what I did was the same as the video. Dial in an amp similar play the same riffs. I'll try some more stuff and see if I can help further.
I just tried the tone match again but with the same results. The sound comes out real thin and tinny.Very weird

I just tried the tone match again but with the same results. The sound comes out real thin and tinny.Very weird
What are you matching to? A clean, dry, isolated recording, or one with effects? Reverb, for instance, can throw off the match. And make sure you aren't running a Cab block.

Hmmm......I use a Cab block before the 'Tone Match' block almost exclusively? I mostly use the 'Tone Match' as a corrective EQ (typically dialed back). Lots of other factors affect 'Tone Matching' success.

Hmmm......I use a Cab block before the 'Tone Match' block almost exclusively? I mostly use the 'Tone Match' as a corrective EQ (typically dialed back). Lots of other factors affect 'Tone Matching' success.
I think your approach is a bit more refined than mine. I use it instead of a cab block.

I still cant figure out what I am doing wrong. Maybe a certain setting or cable hookup? not sure.

If you can describe or show the settings and cabling you tried, it would be a good start for troubleshooting. It's tough to guess what might be going wrong without some more details. Posting the preset and a short video that shows the steps you're taking is usually ideal if possible.

What are you matching to? A clean, dry, isolated recording, or one with effects? Reverb, for instance, can throw off the match. And make sure you aren't running a Cab block.
I tried the same method that was used a few years back where Cooper Carter uses The Court of Tuscany guitar track solo to tone match into the axe. He uses patch 022 USA lead. So I followed the steps but ended up with that weird tinny sound. Something is not set right but I dont know what

If you can describe or show the settings and cabling you tried, it would be a good start for troubleshooting. It's tough to guess what might be going wrong without some more details. Posting the preset and a short video that shows the steps you're taking is usually ideal if possible.
Cables coming from the axe are output 1 left and right going into my audio interface to hear sounds thru powered monitors. Usb is hooked up from the axe to the computer. I use sonar professional as my daw. Sonar playback devices are set up with the axe as the source so I use the axe to record the guitar with. The axe I/O page is set to usb. I have the guitar solo from The count of tuscany as used in the video tutorial. Then I hit the reference switch and the axe listens to the sound. I hit the local switch and record my guitar playing the same riff. The tone match block in bypassed. I hit match. I re enable the the tone match block and it sounds thin and tinny even if I add reverb and delay. I must be missing something

Sorry it wont let me post pictures. The patch is 13 USA with the tone match block selected and other effects are disabled. The reference source is set on usb. The I/O setting is on analog (in1).

Sorry it wont let me post pictures. The patch is 13 USA with the tone match block selected and other effects are disabled. The reference source is set on usb. The I/O setting is on analog (in1).
Still having no sucess with tone match. Tech supoort told me to turn the presence shift switch on in the power amp window but I dont see a presence shift for turning on or off. What am I missing?

What am I missing?

It's tough to guess without some more details. Are you able to attach screenshots or post links now? I think the forum might require 10 posts first.

A video would probably be the best thing for troubleshooting. If that's not possible, any or all of these are better than nothing:

1. Screenshot of layout & tone match block settings

(At least clarify how you placed the tone match block in preset 13. In line between 2 blocks, replacing a certain block?)

2. Recording of the preset before & after tonematch

3. Reference clip used

4. Recording of what you played during local part of match

Tech supoort told me to turn the presence shift switch on in the power amp window but I dont see a presence shift for turning on or off. What am I missing?
Presence Shift is available on some of the USA models. When it's available, it's under the Presence knob on the front panel. In Axe-Edit, it's on the Power Amp page of the Amp block.

Presence Shift is available on some of the USA models. When it's available, it's under the Presence knob on the front panel. In Axe-Edit, it's on the Power Amp page of the Amp block.
I did find the presence shift by using usa lead+ and turned it on. Tried to tone match again with same results. It sounds like its coming thru a tunnel and very thin. This site wont let me post pictures yet and not sure how to load a short wav. file

Last edited:
I did find the presence shift by using usa lead+ and turned it on. Tried to tone match again with same results. It sounds like its coming thru a tunnel and very thin. This site wont let me post pictures yet and not sure how to load a short wav. file
You could drop the files in DropBox or SoundCloud, then post the link here.

Back
Top Bottom