Tone match ..not a request but more of a "hey what's he using here?"

kmanick

Fractal Fanatic
for years I've love the tone Greg Howe got on his Parallax CD especially in a couple of specific places on the CD.
He's known to have used (over the years)
many different marshalls, and a Cornford MK50
the sound on this song is what I'm going after but every thing I dial in sounds a touch too "metal"

jump to the 2:00 minute mark and hear a kicking jam, and some glorious lead playing and tone. (and what I'm after)
any Ideas for amp/cab combos that will get me this?

Last edited:
The cornford is a beast. Most of the time if I have something that sounds too 'metal' to me its because I have too much drive in the preset and with that amp its really easy to have too much. Maybe more master, less drive and maybe even use a drive block where you can get some more control over the flavor of the distortion in there.

Killer tone and great sounding song though. I've heard of him, but never really listened to him. I'm going to have to check him out.

Definitely check him out. He's a beast! Not only does he have the technical stuff but curves it majorly with some really tasty chops. One of the first generation Shrapnel Record guys.

The "Parallax" and "Uncertain Terms" CDs have incredible playing on them.
Sasha I'll try that tomorrow, tonight I was messing with the Brit Pre and got something pretty good but not as smooth
as what Greg gets here. I've never played a real Cornford so I'm not familiar with how the tone stack on it works.
I'll have to do some experimenting it's a "thick" sounding amp, Gregs sound (to my ears) is definitely more of a "Marshall-ish EL34 type of tone , not Mesa.
here's another track from that CD that has some killer lead tone and playing
to the the 1:50 mark for the beginning of the 'action"

tried Sashas suggestions this morning and got a great sounding patch thru my friends MAckie HD 1221 with the CornFord sim
I'm going to fine tune it so it translates well thru my KRK 8's and I'll post it for anyone interested in it.
sounds killer thru the Mackie :)

Have you tried using friedman's. Go to axe change and dig up Mark Day's preset as a jumping off point. Here is a preset that i've tweaked to my liking, it could get you close. Enjoy

Attachments

• Mark Day's Friedman.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom