Tone Match help

Sounds like you need the PRS Tremonti Signature edition. ;)

the acoustic sound on this PRS is outstanding as well as the clean sound but the solo sound I just can’t get right, it’s alittle scooped and seems to lack a bit of sustain 😕

it’s an old 85 Jap strat with EMG’s fitted in 86... iv tried a few strats and put exactly the same pickup config etc and they haven’t even sounded close. My new guitar is a PRS custom 24 Piezo. The clean sound is great but the solo sound is a bit weak, and thin - it just doesn’t have the balls or mid range growl of the strat. I guess it’s just a case of messing with a graphic and switching it in with the lead sound etc... been messing with it tonight but lose focus and seem to get nowhere, trial and error `I guess.

You should use the term "Japanese" instead of "Jap", which is offensive.

Each to their own man, don’t worry yourself about it. 😎 No offence is meant (even to snowflakes) checkthroughout this forum, that term is used throughout...so you better start getting busy as you have a lot of folk to ‘correct’ 🤔
mind I never did get a hang of the tone match 😶

Last edited:
i did a video on using tonematch for pickups and never had problems using it. i have a vault of guitar tones from other guys to use to make pickup tonematches. the key for me is to put the tonematch block at the start of the chain, and change the time to around 20. next play some chords with the first guitar. then play some with the weaker guitar. tonematch. up the output until you are happy with the pickup volume.

i may do another video on it if anyone is interested.

i did a video on using tonematch for pickups and never had problems using it. i have a vault of guitar tones from other guys to use to make pickup tonematches. the key for me is to put the tonematch block at the start of the chain, and change the time to around 20. next play some chords with the first guitar. then play some with the weaker guitar. tonematch. up the output until you are happy with the pickup volume.

A video would be a great help, I followed instructions etc but must have done something wrong as I ended up with an awful out of phase sound that wasn't remotely similar to the sound I was trying to achieve, so a vid tutorial/demonstration would be great Singtall.

This would be great!

I'm trying to get a break long enough to shoot a video. been building my own brand of guitars while trying to still keep up with my security company while dealing with covid-19 lockdown. lol

I'm a huge Tone Match advocate; however, I've found that tone matching pickups works to a fairly limited degree, in my experience. For example, if you try tone matching a pickup via strumming a specific chord, the results can sound extremely accurate so long as you're strumming that specific chord; however, try playing different chords (from the ones used when tone matching) and comparing the tone to the tone you get when playing those chords through the original reference pickups.

Last edited:
some wav files of the Keith Merrow Fishman pickups. these are direct into the daw with no modeling, perfect to use to tonematch pickups.

Attachments

• Keith Merrow.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom