Hey guys, I need some help getting my tone match to sound right. I'm creating a patch to sound like my '65 Deluxe Reverb Re-Issue. Naturally I chose the '65 deluxe reverb built into the unit on which to build my ToneMatch. I made a high quality .wav file of me playing through my actual amp to use for the ToneMatch block.

I am noticing a lot of harshness on the high end in the model, almost like the high frequencies are breaking up more than the lower frequencies, but I have no indication of any digital clipping; I think this was just a characteristic of the actual amp they modeled. I am wondering which amp parameters I can tweak to dial out some (or all) of this harshness. I'm not electronics savvy by any stretch of the imagination. I understand how a tube amp works on an intermediate level, but I have little technical prowess.

Also, on the ToneMatch block, I am trying to do everything mono. I have input source as USB, Ref Channel set to "L" (I read somewhere that using "Sum L+R" is not a good idea, though since the source is USB, I don't know why this would matter) and Local Channel (IIRC) is set to "Sum L+R".

Any help from you more technical minded gurus is much appreciated, as always.

Can you post a link to your wav file?
Out of curiosity, why not use live mode in the tone match block?

I apparently need 10 posts before I can share a link in my posts.... :-(

I'm going to post a couple more times so I can insert a link.

Also, do you think that doing the Tone Match in live mode would yield a better result? I've never tried it before. I would just play the .wav and my guitar at the same time correct?

I'm going to check the mini-manual to see how live matching works. I just thought doing them separately might be more convenient, but I'm also still figuring out the whole tone match thing. I've read the manual and watched the videos, but I'm still struggling to get great results.

Can you post a link to your wav file?
Out of curiosity, why not use live mode in the tone match block?

I finally figured out the difference between the live mode (Amp matching) and offline mode (tone matching). The amp matching seems like it will do a better job. My ability to shoot a great IR is a bit limited. For a mic pre-amp, I have an avid mbox 3, and I am seeing if I can borrow a neutral power amp from a friend since my Fender doesn't have an FX loop for direct access to the power amp.

I found the video with Cliff demonstrating the amp matching along with his PowerPoint presentation. I think I can figure out how to give it a whirl, I just need one or two points cleared up.

When I do the amp match, the instructions mention that I would be using an amp block, tone match block, and a cab block (the cab block being the IR that I shoot of the amp's cabinet). Do all three blocks appear in the final product? I'm confused because I thought the tone match block replaced the cab block, so for live matching, can you clear up which blocks are used, and where in the chain they go?

Lastly, when matching from a recording, I have been struggling to get a usable result. Admittedly, I have been using a .ogg file (or streaming isolated tracks off of YouTube which I know is not ideal). I know the .ogg files aren't great, but for some of the folks I am trying to tone match, it's the only source of isolated material outside of YouTube I can find, and I know folks have gotten some usable results with them.

So when Tone Matching, does the TM block replace the cab block in this instance? In the TM mini-manual, it says that usable results can be had with or without a cab block added in. No matter which way I do it though, The sound is either quiter, nasally, or thin, with or without the cab block added back in.

I am running the reference track via USB (though I'm not sure whether to set that to "L", "R", or "Sum L+R") and for the local channel, I don't recall how I have it set, but "Sum L+R" comes to mind.

Sorry for the long winded post. I know some of this is probably basic stuff, but while I've been playing guitar for many years, I lack the technological prowess of some of the guys on here. I have combed the forums, but I'm unable to glean a consistent answer from it's posts.

Back
Top Bottom