Tone Match - Have you used it? Tips?

stratzrus

I'm considering using Tone Match for the first time and wondered if anyone else has used it and gotten positive results?

Also, I'd welcome any tips you may have that will help in getting the best Tone Match captures.

Thanks!

Just to dial in an amp and cab as close to the sound and feel you're trying to tone match. After the match replace the cab block with the tone match. After doing the tone match you can save it to a user cab location, saving it this way has the advantage of being able to use the cab block EQ controls to fine tune it later. Mini manual for tone matching, was for AFX II but same for AFX III. https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx-II-Tone-Match-Manual.pdf

Just to dial in an amp and cab as close to the sound and feel you're trying to tone match. After the match replace the cab block with the tone match. After doing the tone match you can save it to a user cab location, saving it this way has the advantage of being able to use the cab block EQ controls to fine tune it later. Mini manual for tone matching, was for AFX II but same for AFX III. https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx-II-Tone-Match-Manual.pdf

Thanks, that was helpful!
There’s a lot of good info already written on this. Have you searched the forum? I found over 100 threads when I searched “tonematch”.

I thought it would be helpful to have one place specifically where tips could be located, but yes, I know there are already various posts that can be found using the search function.

Something along the lines of "I found it really helpful if you ..."

Last edited:
I love the Tone Match feature. I'd recommend boosting the Averaging Time(I set it to 99.000). I'd also recommend playing the same passage for the Reference and Local signal. Some commercially mixed guitar tracks will use different guitar tones for the right and left channels, so that's something to consider when attempting to match a specific guitar track.

Last edited:
What are you planning to tone match? A recording? A real amp?

If you’re planning on tone matching an amp, do you have a load box? A mic pre? What mics?

There are a lot of tone match options, so any recommendations depend on what you want to do.

Back
Top Bottom