Tone match export with smoothing issue

solo-act

Fractal Fanatic
I was helping a new user with tone matching today. Axe-fx II mark I, Quantum 2.0 beta.

Tonematch preset has only tone match block in it.
I created an audition preset with only a cab block in it.

We tone matched his piezo in his Parker to a recording of an acoustic and he liked smoothing at 80% vs the RAW tone match.

So we saved the tone match preset and then exported to user cabs (with the 80% smoothing), saved to user cab slot, and put that IR/cab into the audition preset. It sounded exactly like the raw tone match before smoothing.

I returned to the tone matching preset, noted smoothing at 80% sounded great. Turned smoothing to zero, listened and immediately went to the audition preset. Sounded the same as the exported IR I just auditions.

So I think that only the raw tone match is getting exported, without the user selected smoothing level.

Last edited:
Yes - the smoothing was removed from the export at some point. I, for one, would love to have it included.

You could try using the 'dephase' on the IR in the cab block - I think it's similar, though not exactly the same, and that's just a guess.

Another option is to have the tone match block setup how you want it and run just white or pink noise through it and record that result in your daw. Then, in a new/different/empty tone match block, send the same white/pink noise through the local side, send the previously recorded thought-the-tonematch-block-with-smoothing white/pink noise as the 'ref', and match that. Should get you close, though it's tedious.

Yes - the smoothing was removed from the export at some point. I, for one, would love to have it included.
+1000 I researched it here and export-with-smoothing was actually a firmware fix in 2013, but it looks like export-without-smoothing has returned for some reason. Smoothing is very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom