Tone match electric guitar to acoustic guitar?

Gene

Inspired
Hi , I watched a YouTube video a while ago on how to tone match a Piezo pickup to the mic'd up tone from the same acoustic guitar. I can't find the video now. I seem to remember that when you do the tone matching and later wish to use the actual captured resulting curve (or is it the IR?) you need to use it as a cab block, am I correct?

I have an acoustic Flyde mandolin but also have an all-electric mandolin. Tomorrow I intend to see if I can tone match the electric's pickups to the sound of mt acoustic mandolin.

So, just thought I'd ask you folks who are more familiar with the process is my grasp of the process correct.

I tone matched several of my acoustics with built in Piezo pickups to their mic'd up tone before and have the curves on file somewhere also, but never gigged them using the tone match curves or resulting IRs.

If I am correct, do I need to load the resulting IR or cab block first in the signal chain?

I would be grateful if someone can tell me if I'm correct. I'm going at this early in the morning as it the only chance I have, so will check replies then. Thanks in advance :)

E

I seem to remember that when you do the tone matching and later wish to use the actual captured resulting curve (or is it the IR?) you need to use it as a cab block, am I correct?
All you really need to use a tone match is the Tone Match block. If you choose to, you can convert your tone match to an IR for use in a cab block, in which case you won't need the Tone Match block, but you will need a Cab block.

If I am correct, do I need to load the resulting IR or cab block first in the signal chain?
As above, you can use the Tone Match block also. And yes, ideally you'd put it first in the chain.

The Tone Match or converted cab block should be used first in the chain then add the tube pre to bring the level up to something usable and add effects to taste. The enhancer block is always nice to give some width to the sound. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

The Tone Match or converted cab block should be used first in the chain then add the tube pre to bring the level up to something usable...
Or, raise the level by turning up Level in the Cab or Tone Match block. You have 20 dB to work with, which should be plenty.

I did this a while ago with a Music Man JP11. I tone matched a file of me playing acoustic guitar by using a TM block against a high quality .wav file of my guitar. I used a compressor block to raise the level a bit. I wanted a little compression anyway, so I just boosted the signal from there into the TM block, but I don't think it would matter a whole lot where you boost it. The results were really good. Check out Alex Lifeson of Rush. He uses an Axe-Fx in combination with a Fishman piezo installed in 1958 Les Paul reissue.I forget what he used as the reference for his TM, but whatever he did, it sounded fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom